Talk me out of a Blouch 16G-XT-R

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:19 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I love that everyone is throwing opinions out here. I'm not giving you mine without more information.

How many miles are on your car?
What other mods?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Fair enough - more detail below

The car has about 103K miles on it - to my knowledge it's the original motor. Runs well. Powertrain is basically stock with the exception of

AVO Catted Downpipe
Electric Cutout at the muffler
Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley
Cobb After Maf tube
Walbro Fuel Pump

I have no intention of changing injectors or really doing any more power mods.

The car is driven daily . Dependability, throttle response and powerband is much more important than peak power
Old 02-03-2014, 10:59 AM

Car Info: http://goo.gl/XpkO0b & '99 SF 'S'
Have you looked at any other options for replacement turbos? If you aren't going to change injectors, then the 16g is a replacement.

There are other options as well, custom billet VF turbos - STI Single Scroll Turbos 02-07 WRX 04+ STI VF30 VF39 VF43 VF48
Old 02-03-2014, 11:25 AM
General Pimpin'

Thanks for the information. I just kind of laugh when I see a bunch of opinions about what someone else should do when they have no idea what that person's goals are and what the car's history is.

I could come on and be like... hey what turbo should I get. Some ding dong tells me to put a 20g on it and guess what. My car explodes on the dyno because that's the last damned thing my car needs.

I'm guessing some folks already knew... but I didn't so I asked. Hope you weren't offended by it.

Given this information
1. 2.5 liter.
2. over 100k (you do a timing belt yet?)
3. Gone this far without huge power.
4. Daily driver that does auto cross. Not a track car.
5. Mike knows what he's talking about.

I personally like the xt and xtr turbos. I think the 16g is a great replacement turbo. You'll get a little more HP than you got from the 39 and it'll probably spool faster. It'll be great in the low and mid range which is what you need for auto cross and what is fun on the street. Top end will be about where you're at now. It'll run out of air. It's a relatively small turbo for a 2.5 liter car.

The 18g would be great too. You won't loose much spool up. You'll have a bit more HP available to you if you choose to use it but not so much that your 100k car is going to bust a seam the first time you put your foot in it.

20g. That turbo is too big for what you need and what it sounds like what you're looking for. It's a great turbo but for a street car that sees autocross driven by a person that doesn't care about swinging his big dick dyno sheet around. Same goes for 30r and 35r. Etc. Both great turbos but not what everyone needs or can handle. You start talking about those turbos and you're talking about a lot more mods than you have or are looking to do.

I personally wouldn't run anything over an 18g on a stock motor.

Beyond that... you're not looking to do injectors and other supporting mods so you slam a big turbo on there you're going to max out your injectors. Not safe or smart or necessary.

So given that you're not looking to do that... the 16g XTR is a great recommendation with the second one being the 18g. I wouldn't go larger.

But I'm also conservative. Might be why my car is still alive at almost 235,000 miles. LOL!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:28 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by WRXncrew
Have you looked at any other options for replacement turbos? If you aren't going to change injectors, then the 16g is a replacement.

There are other options as well, custom billet VF turbos - STI Single Scroll Turbos 02-07 WRX 04+ STI VF30 VF39 VF43 VF48
Agree 100%. What he said is what I said minus the book. LOL!

VF34. VF30 would both be good too.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Agree 100%. What he said is what I said minus the book. LOL!

VF34. VF30 would both be good too.
The 34s are ball bearing turbos, not easy to come by but if given the opportunity to obtain one for a good price then I would jump on it!

Last edited by WRXncrew; 02-03-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:09 PM

I think that clenches it...
16G it is OMA's logic makes sense... and I either trust my tuner (GST) or I don't.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:20 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Lowend
16G it is OMA's logic makes sense... and I either trust my tuner (GST) or I don't.
That's kind of it. It's always what I tell people with tuners. I have my personal favorites but what people need to do is find one they have confidence in and stick to them. People that hop tuners like $2 hookers end up with messed up cars.

16/18/vf34 would be my personal choices.

Kenley... on your note... I tried to trade my 18g xt for a 34 about a month ago but the dude ended up just using the 34. LOL! It's my favorite turbo for the 2 liter.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:21 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by WRXncrew
The 34s are ball bearing turbos, not easy to come by but if given the opportunity to obtain one for a good price then I would jump on it!
Isn't the 30 ball on one side?
Old 02-03-2014, 12:25 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
If you don't want to upgrade your fuel system, just pick up a used VF and swap it in. You won't pick up any power with any turbo with the stock fuel system. It's already maxed out on the stock turbo.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 PM
General Pimpin'

Why is power the ultimate goal?

It sounds like he's just trying to replace a turbo that has an issue. Why take out VF39's with known issues to replace them with another USED VF39 that probably already has the issue or soon will?

From my understanding the XTR should spool better than a 39 and flow a little better. Isn't a 39 around 450/475CFM? The 16g xtr is around 535?

Just going off my memory here so I could be wrong. And injector duty cycle would depend on the tune?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:25 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Why is power the ultimate goal?
Cause of over-compensation for something else? Either that or mad tyte hard-parking key-board racing e-cred bragging rights (ex. I got an FP-Green, yo! But I use the car for daily local commuting at pedestrian rush hour speeds).

Originally Posted by Lowend
Beat me to it. My comment was going to be...if GST's recomendation took all of those things into account; why exactly would you override his recomendation with one off boards? What's the point of going to a season pro in that case anyway?

I am going to go out on a limb and say Mike has more comparative turbo knowledge from driving/tuning/modding/etc than most people here. It is like going to a doctor to get a diagnosis only to ignore it and Google a remedy instead.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 02-03-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:53 PM

Nothing wrong with a getting a second opinion.
Note the title of the thread
Talk me out of a Blouch 16G-XT-R
as in, unless someone convinces me otherwise I'm going with GST's recommendation. The 18 vs 16 thing was weighing on my mind, and i's free to ask.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:05 PM

Isn't the 30 ball on one side?
Not absolutely certain about the VF30, but MRT in AU has some pretty good info on the VF turbos.

VF30 or VF34
Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I have to add, I have a VF39, with a small crack, and it runs just fine. ... however I will also add I am eyeballing the 18G and bigger injectors

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Blouch 16G-XT-R