Tablet PCs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 03 Cummins, 99 miata, 91 v8 miata, 90 spec miata
Tablet PCs

What do you think of them?

Will they work well as my only computer (a laptop is good enough, so lets not get into that debate)? (aka. Do they handle everything as well as a regular laptop?)

Any downsides to them? Anyone have any words of wisdom concerning them?

Anyone know of a better one than this for a reasonable price?
http://www.fotoconnection.com/viewit...?IndexID=20437

Nick
Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
as far as i know... they do everything a laptop can....(it kinda is a laptop if u think about it....) uh.... down side... might be a bit expensive vs a laptop with the same specs, but i'm sure the price will drop because its will become the new PDA
Old 09-26-2005, 08:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I have a tablet that I use some time for work.

They definitely have the cool factor, but get really annoying when you want to type something. Virtual keyboards suck.

One of our tablets is actually a hybrid laptop/tablet, with a flatpanel that swivels, which isn't too bad since you can always flip the monitor back to normal, and use the built in keyboard. But the tablets w/o a built in keyboard are kind of a pain to use for anything more then reading document or webpages or whatever.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
My g/f's dad has a HP tablet PC he uses as his only computer. He does building inspections and uses it as he's walking around, and then at his desk he uses a docking station w/ keyboard, mouse etc. He really likes it.

That Toshiba looks interesting but based on my experience with my Toshiba Tecra, I will never ever ever own another Toshiba product. This thing does more just plain weird things than any machine I have had previous to this combined.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:02 PM

Car Info: 03 Cummins, 99 miata, 91 v8 miata, 90 spec miata
Originally Posted by nKoan
One of our tablets is actually a hybrid laptop/tablet, with a flatpanel that swivels, which isn't too bad since you can always flip the monitor back to normal, and use the built in keyboard.
That is what I would be getting.

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
That Toshiba looks interesting but based on my experience with my Toshiba Tecra, I will never ever ever own another Toshiba product. This thing does more just plain weird things than any machine I have had previous to this combined.
Any other suggestions?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:23 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
the HP tablet is as nice as the toshiba... but its like 4-5 pounds lighter, but i'd take the toshiba just because i think they have better service
Old 09-26-2005, 11:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by crashnscar

Any other suggestions?
Not really. The only laptops I have found to be bulletproof and super reliable is the IBM Thinkpads. All I can say is hopefully that Toshiba thing is better than the Tecra I have now. The swivel monitor looks nice - best of both worlds. I had to give my Thinkpad T30 back when I left my job, othewise I would still definitely have it.

Also, just a note - I have no problem using a laptop as my only computer. I have a pretty awesome tower setup and it's been packed in a box since June. I would like it for my music collection and to make DVDs and such, but.. Haven't unpacked it yet.