Storing my car: Is there anything that I'm forgetting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Storing my car: Is there anything that I'm forgetting?

On Sunday I'm heading out to Santa Barbara for school. I have decided to leave my car at home because I will be in a dorm and would prefer not to worry about it. The car is not really in danger of theft as it will be parked in the driveway at home and closely supervised by my parents, brother, and a few neighbors.

Things I have done so car include:
- Topped off the tank - a tip I read somewhere that supposedly reduces fumes in the gas tank. I'm not positive on the benefits here, but I needed gas anyway.
- Washed the car and applied a coat of wax.
- Parked it on the very edge of the driveway right up to the bushes to avoid dings from other cars that may use the driveway.
- Currently covered, but I, or someone at home will uncover it to avoid mildew in the interior.
- Flashed the Cobb anti-theft map on there so that it won't start.

I'm not going to bother with it while I'm back for thanksgiving, but when I'm on winter break I plan to change the oil and do some easy driving.

Are there any other practical storage tips I should know, or anything else I need to do when taking the car out of storage?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
uhm you might have a flatspot on the tire depending on how long you have it sitting there. and you might want unplug the battery so it doesnt get drained
Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
have someone in your family take out for a spin every once in a while.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:27 PM

xhengmanx: According to a sticky on nasioc, a modern tire will not develop a permanent flat spot. Apparently 3 months and 3 weeks will cause the same severity of flat spot, and both will roll out in a few minutes.

pwnx0rz: I was hoping to register it as non-op and save a few bills on insurance (I will still have it covered for theft and everything, just not liability). I will be home to drive it every 3 months, is that not frequent enough?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:43 PM

Car Info: 2017 Limited Edition BRZ
Originally Posted by akdmx
xhengmanx: According to a sticky on nasioc, a modern tire will not develop a permanent flat spot. Apparently 3 months and 3 weeks will cause the same severity of flat spot, and both will roll out in a few minutes.

pwnx0rz: I was hoping to register it as non-op and save a few bills on insurance (I will still have it covered for theft and everything, just not liability). I will be home to drive it every 3 months, is that not frequent enough?
you should really start your car up at least once a week, once every 2 weeks is kinda pushing it, but it's better than not starting it at all.. so, unfortunately no 3 months is not enough. i didn't start my car up for 2-3 weeks and the battery died.. and this was a new battery too (battery's aren't cheap). if you can put the car in your garage and hook up those battery chargers, that'd be the best thing to do. But if you're going to leave it on the street, definitely consider letting someone drive it around once in a while.. just to get he juices flowin'. Otherwise, you'll be like me and just have the car chillin' in the garage for a long long time w/o being able to start it..
Old 09-18-2009, 08:45 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
disconnect the battery. modern technology with tires and blah blah blah. I never listen to that. jackstands or steelies and you will be okay.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Oh 4 panda: I have a braille battery in there, so I will certainly have to remove that and leave it hooked up to the trickle charger.

Other than the issue of the battery dying (which I seem to have figured out) and the flat spots, is there any other sort of damage associated with storing a car for 3 months without driving it?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 PM

It occurred to me just now (as I was removing the battery) that without a power source, there would be no alarm. New plan: trickle charge battery while in car.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 PM

Car Info: me crazy when you ask "what suspension u on?"
You've done an alright job so far. I do suggest that you have one of your family members take it out for a spin every other week, or so, while you're gone, and at the very least start it up to prevent it from dying. Since you stated you will have it uncovered from time to time, its already half way from being driven. Of course, it would be best to keep it in the garage too, but I also park outside so I understand. Nevertheless, she should be fine while you're away.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:12 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

get some gas additive to make it live longer. i forget the name of the product. but its made for storing gas a long time.

if you dont wanna hassle your family members, either buy a battery tender or a solar panel to constantly top off your battery.

good time to change ALL fluids too.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
if you have an aftermarket stereo take the faceplate off.. and remove any other valuables from your car and dont leave anything for temping eyes in open sight
Old 09-19-2009, 12:10 AM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
jackstands and disconnect the battery. Cover it and forget about.

I hear you have to prime it to get the oil flowing after you are ready to start it up again, though, but I dont know.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:02 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I'd put it up on stands and pull the wheels off if it's gonna be there a long time and put a fuel additive in designed for storage... there's a few out there.

Either that or leave someone that understand how your AP works and you trust. Have them drive the car around the block one a week or once every other week just to keep everything lubed up and keep from flat spotting your tire.

That's what I'd do anyways. Otherwise you're gonna come back to a dead battery and possibly 4 shot tires and a bunch of sticky unlubed isht.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT Sports
Originally Posted by subaruwrx
jackstands and disconnect the battery. Cover it and forget about.

I hear you have to prime it to get the oil flowing after you are ready to start it up again, though, but I dont know.
same.