starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Car Info: EQ tuned bugeye
Unhappy starter issues

Recently I replaced my starter it was working perfect but just today it didn't want to start. I called autozone and they said it could just be a defective unit ( I bought it from there) the starter sounds fine to me, I'm guessing its something else causing this but not sure what I was hoping to get some feedback if anyone was or have had any starter issues like the one I'm experiencing.
**PLEASE GUYS HELP ME OUT!**
Old 09-10-2013, 05:28 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
virtually impossible to give any feedback with no information.

what exactly is it doing?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:33 PM

I'll put the key in, turn it on, all the lights come on and I can hear the fuel pump priming. I turn the key to crank it over and nothing happens- as if the starter motor is not getting power to it at all. The clock and lights dim as I think they normally should, but the starter doesn't come on, i can hear no clicking, nothing at all. I'll try this several times and eventually it'll go
Old 09-10-2013, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
virtually impossible to give any feedback with no information.

what exactly is it doing?
+1. exact noises: stripping? sound like an impeding object preventing start? all grounds checked? all wires reinstalled correctly? the fact that it was working fine and then not, especially after recent work leads me to believe improper re installation. in particular, a ground (on the tiny little mount that shares tranny casing bolt) might be rattling loose. what about your battery? how old is it? it could be your starter is just not getting enough juice. all these details matter. GL!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Lame as it sounds, these problems are often just loose electrical connections. A while back I had to bump start my car for a week until my pride caved in and I checked my battery terminals. Problem solved. Wah, wah, waaaaah...
Old 09-10-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by 02RS25
+1. exact noises: stripping? sound like an impeding object preventing start? all grounds checked? all wires reinstalled correctly? the fact that it was working fine and then not, especially after recent work leads me to believe improper re installation. in particular, a ground (on the tiny little mount that shares tranny casing bolt) might be rattling loose. what about your battery? how old is it? it could be your starter is just not getting enough juice. all these details matter. GL!
battery is only a few months old and ive checked to see if it was charging correctly and it is. all the grounds seem to be ok. i made sure that all the bolt were nice and tight and made sure the connections were solid
Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Have you checked your connections? The cable that runs from the positive battery terminal to the starter?

I had this exact same thing happen to me and it's because that cable snapped.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Check all your grounds.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
new batt, new starter, deff check all connections. u may have simply over looked it. happens all the time. the ground right next to the battery is paint free and tight? grounds that are right on the body tend to be a bit more "flimsy" as its not always a fore sure 100% metal to metal contact. dirt and grime can get in betwwn chassis and connection and prevent that chrge from going through. check em out! remove all your grounds, clean mating areas to a nice and silvery finish and reintall nice and snug.

then there is that 2% chance it is indeed a faulty replacement but i would deff check with going over your ground and connections many times over. your batt terminals corrossion free?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM

all right so i went and made sure the connections were solid and that there was nothing loose, nothing was loose i checked the ground on the starter to make sure it was not loose and it was fine, checked the battery terminals. everything turned out fine started the car a couple of times to make sure and starts right up... im going to see if anything goes in the next few days hopefully its fine, fingers crossed.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Take a rubber mallet to the starter or a power probe if you have one the next time the car doesnt start. Should narrow down/rule out some stuff.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Originally Posted by bugeye41510
all right so i went and made sure the connections were solid and that there was nothing loose, nothing was loose
Physical inspection can only go so far, especially with electrical connections.

My negative terminal clamp was on the battery, just not tight enough, even though I had driven for weeks previously with it a bit loose as I kept having to clear CELs and was working on the car often. A cheapo volt meter with a continuity checker will do the trick.

My car did all the lights and noises you said, but just wasn't enough to turn over. Try starting it jumped to another battery, see if that does it? And can you bump start it by the way?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
For the love of...

Ok, look, just get under the car (make SURE its in park/neutral with the ebrake set) with a long handle flat head screwdriver. Cross the shank of the screwdriver from the Positive side to the solenoid switched side. It should make a loud "CLACK" if it doesn't, its that. If it does, then cross the positive side with the starter side, it should now try to start (as you are using the screwdriver to bypass the key) that will tell you if its a bad wire, or a bad starter.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by Heedz
Check all your grounds.
When you've done that, check them again.

These issues are usually a grounding issue. Make sure the starter is grounded and there's a ground on your transmission as well.

Check everything. Not just with a meter, pull on the connections, make sure they're tight. Something may check out with a meter, but fail when the starter is trying to pull 100+ amps of current. There's a TON of current pulled by the starter. More than any other electrical connection in common life. Double check everything.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Clean grounding points, clean battery terminals, if anything use some fine sanding on the area for better contact and try again. if its not the battery, and not the starter, it maybe the starter relay or relays. I think there is also a clutch switch. Any of those can prevent the car from turn over too, but work with what you have.

Quick Reply: starter issues