So. Who knows how to start a buisness.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 06:06 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan
So. Who knows how to start a buisness.

Been thinking about starting a e-bay buisness in my spare time. But it looks like I need permits and licences and stuff.

As near as I can tell, I need - Buisness Licence
Home Occupation Licence
Buisness Propety statement
Fictious Buisness Name Filing
Sellers Permit
State income tax forms.

Any one here done this, or know where I can go to learn more? Google is no help unless I want to learn how to pay someone else to do it.

If you don't know how, thats okay. Here's some kittens.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:10 PM

Car Info: 03 Cummins, 99 miata, 91 v8 miata, 90 spec miata
Business insurance for when people open the package, drop the product on their foot, and sue you.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:22 PM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
http://www.boe.ca.gov/ has good info and the resellers permits

Where to go for a business license: http://www.scvmed.org/channel/0,4770...D10710,00.html

They'll have the other info you need there. Whether or not you need business property and home occupation licenses depend on the situation. They'll be able to tell you at your local finance office in the list linked above...

Jeremy
Old 08-04-2005, 06:34 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan
I'm in Contra Costa County though, not sure if Santa Clara County can help. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:31 PM

the are all state regulations as far as i know.. so whats good in santa clara country is good in contra costa county.

Depending on what type of business you want to start..
You can start with a Ficticious name statement.
you need to decide what type of business you want to run and choose accordingly..
A sole proprietorship.. you just you and nobody else. if someone sues you.. all of your assets business and personal can be attached.
A partnership. You and some other fool. if someone sues you, both of yo uare up **** creek without a paddle.
an S corporation. Typically a smaller company.. I believe it has alot of the tax benefits of a sole proprietorship without the legal liability. Like a corporation, if you are sued.. only the assets of the corporation are involved. This means they cant sue you personally for something that your corporation did.
A corporation: well you know who these guys are. Evil bastards who make lots of money and exploit the worker and the community.

If you are looking to get investors, then you have to have a good business plan and statement.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:39 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by tedshred
This means they cant sue you personally for something that your corporation did.
Actually, this can be done, it just requires a court order, and is called 'piercing the corporate veil.' Done all the time for shell corporations.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mcowger
Actually, this can be done, it just requires a court order, and is called 'piercing the corporate veil.' Done all the time for shell corporations.
Thanks
Good info. I was not aware of that. Ive never heard of that happening except in cases where the investors were trying to recover money from execs who borrowed it without asking ( read: steal, cheat, and lie).