Smog question or a helpful recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:40 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
when i sold my 04 sti i still had to do the tailpipe, and so did my friend who sold his ae86 a couple months ago.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by FL4T
so does this mean those of us who have a simple stage 2 set up (turbo back exhaust and tune) should be able to pass smog testing since they don't rely on the sniffer anymore?
Stage 2 peeps only need to hang onto their OEM down pipe and swap it back every 2 years for 30 minutes SMOG testing. PM me for stations that will pass a stage 2 visual as long as you also pass sniffer
Old 12-21-2013, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi GT3076R
Wow, the thread blew up.

going to update with more info on my results and various shop comparisons,

but if user heya see's this, hit me up bro I'm in san Jose. Your PM is full
Old 12-21-2013, 01:45 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Originally Posted by jdblock
From talking to my smog guy, they'll still be doing the visual portion. Not just for modified cars, but for poor repairs. He said that CARB could be bringing cars into shops to test the techs and shops, and make sure the work is done correctly (talking a vacuum line being out of place or a bolt plugging a vacuum port, small stuff).

The tech said as long as everything is in the stock location (turbo, vacuum lines, fuel lines), and the parts look stock(ish) (no adjustable FPR etc), that he would have no problem passing the car. That he looks at the underhood stickers to make sure everything is where it should be.

Right, this is exactly what I stated. Visual tests are still in place. Scanning for codes would take over the tailpipe tests. They will still check the other items in as they do today.

And as I also stated, if you can find a shop that is not going to question you on turbo upgrades and what not, even aftermarket down pipes that have cats, you would pass. (Just as you stated)

Originally Posted by FXTbrah
I don't know of a single shop running the new machines. On top of that you're looking for one that will overlook visual? lol good luck.
I agree, finding the new system is hard, I mentioned that as well. I know there are shops out there that will over look some of the visual stuff! I am not saying it will be an easy task but they are out there and as long as you appear "stock" or have your cats, with the new setup, it would work fully & you'd be good.

Where as STAR ONLY, forget about it! You aint going to pass anything unless it is bone stock.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
That's the tough part with rotated setups. You're pretty much stuck trying to find a "hook up".

-- Ed
Thanks Ed for giving me a prompt call back and reassuring me on some numbers! Really appreciated it, after i get a punch list and pricing done, have to make a stop for tuning with you.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Roo
Let me guess...on the 5k parts and more for labor estimate, you called some local shops (including LIC)? Noah was preaching the truth...
...Here's the caller I was talking about in the other thread.
I called many shops and various different prices ranging from 15K down to 3K, my 5K estimate was really based on a salvaged stock VF turbo, salvaged catted COBB downpipe, and other salvage parts plus the misc parts.

I have no doubt there are many noobs (as i am) that really wanted a STi and ponied up without realizing fully what what they were getting into. For that I apologize if in some way if offense was taken to our enthusiasm for Subaru and Subaru autos. If not we all can share a good laugh i suppose.

My post is merely asking for some help, which i got. This site with some other's pointed in much help, some users offering to let me borrow their complete set up and some pointing in helpful smog locations.

However, I can't say for certain I was the same caller when you were at the shop, I never mentioned my HP/Power levels or how that thread had any relevance. And from that other thread, notes from it didn't match up.

But Meh, its an internet forum board.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by KOSTI
Right, this is exactly what I stated. Visual tests are still in place. Scanning for codes would take over the tailpipe tests. They will still check the other items in as they do today.

And as I also stated, if you can find a shop that is not going to question you on turbo upgrades and what not, even aftermarket down pipes that have cats, you would pass. (Just as you stated)

I agree, finding the new system is hard, I mentioned that as well. I know there are shops out there that will over look some of the visual stuff! I am not saying it will be an easy task but they are out there and as long as you appear "stock" or have your cats, with the new setup, it would work fully & you'd be good.

Where as STAR ONLY, forget about it! You aint going to pass anything unless it is bone stock.
So out of 25 Smog Stations i called (5 in SF, 5 in San Jose, 5 in Oakland/Hayward/ 5 in Berkeley, 5 in Marin) they all confirm they know of the new bill & standard however no one is moving into that.

The couple of shops i visited (SF/ San Jose/ Berkeley) all stated the notice they received and its "Up to the site/ technician's discretion to apply the new rules"

I was really hoping this was going to give me a pass and help me out, i've been keeping up with this story for a long time since 2011 and each year it gets posted on multiple forums (subaru and non subaru like the LS/LS1/LSx SR20 forums) but seems like no one is willing to move to this yet.

Thanks though!
Old 12-21-2013, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
You can find Star shops by punching in info on this page.

Station List

There are more in my area than I thought there would be.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by 0341Tested
I called many shops and various different prices ranging from 15K down to 3K, my 5K estimate was really based on a salvaged stock VF turbo, salvaged catted COBB downpipe, and other salvage parts plus the misc parts.

I have no doubt there are many noobs (as i am) that really wanted a STi and ponied up without realizing fully what what they were getting into. For that I apologize if in some way if offense was taken to our enthusiasm for Subaru and Subaru autos. If not we all can share a good laugh i suppose.

My post is merely asking for some help, which i got. This site with some other's pointed in much help, some users offering to let me borrow their complete set up and some pointing in helpful smog locations.

However, I can't say for certain I was the same caller when you were at the shop, I never mentioned my HP/Power levels or how that thread had any relevance. And from that other thread, notes from it didn't match up.

But Meh, its an internet forum board.
Technically that DP won't pass visual as the cat doesn't have a CARB EO number. Just so you know and there's no surprises.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 PM

Technically that DP won't pass visual as the cat doesn't have a CARB EO number. Just so you know and there's no surprises.
Appreciate the info, got the issue resolved via help from another board member but....

What happens if a crack head stole my stock cat? that leaves me with the option of getting a catted after market vs paying the $1600 stock one?

or welding one on... which isn't available. Talked to a couple of suppliers/ welders/ exhaust shops and apparently most universal cats aren't California Compliant.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by KOSTI

Do we know if Star is going to be looking at injector scaling and all that fancy ECU stuff? I thought the Star system was only looking at the readiness monitors and for any stored trouble codes.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:15 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
I "heard" of someone who spent a day asking every ghetto smog shop he saw and eventually one passed him. Was $250.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:19 AM

Appreciate the info, got the issue resolved via help from another board member but....

What happens if a crack head stole my stock cat? that leaves me with the option of getting a catted after market vs paying the $1600 stock one?

or welding one on... which isn't available. Talked to a couple of suppliers/ welders/ exhaust shops and apparently most universal cats aren't California Compliant.
There are universal cats available that have an EO number, you wouldn't have to pay for an OEM unit. I think the only thing special with the Cali cats is that you pay extra for them, they're probably the same exact as the 49 state legal ones.

MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters - 49-STATE & CANADA Catalytic Converters For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

And you can search for all the replacement cats with EO, for your specific car here. There is 5 pages for the 04 Impreza.

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTo...earchTool.aspx

Last edited by jdblock; 12-22-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6

Most likely would be the 2nd cat which is below the car. Of you had someone weld a 49state cat in its place and never told the smog shop it wouldn't be a big a deal.

Why?

Because there are no EO numbers on OEM downpipes. EO numbers are for replacement cats. Since smog shops look for cats existence and don't use a mirror to look for numbers simply don't say you had a cat replaced.

The function of a 49state vs EO stamped cat is the same.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:39 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
So out of 25 Smog Stations i called (5 in SF, 5 in San Jose, 5 in Oakland/Hayward/ 5 in Berkeley, 5 in Marin) they all confirm they know of the new bill & standard however no one is moving into that.

The couple of shops i visited (SF/ San Jose/ Berkeley) all stated the notice they received and its "Up to the site/ technician's discretion to apply the new rules"

I was really hoping this was going to give me a pass and help me out, i've been keeping up with this story for a long time since 2011 and each year it gets posted on multiple forums (subaru and non subaru like the LS/LS1/LSx SR20 forums) but seems like no one is willing to move to this yet.

Thanks though!
Right, exactly as I stated. They aint moving because they dont want to upgrade and loose out on profits. I am sure there are other items involved that are keeping them back as well.

Matter fact I know someone on here is a smog tech, I hope they can chime in as I'm only running off discussions I've had with techs and what I've read as well. And as you indicated, the story is all over car forums!

Do we know if Star is going to be looking at injector scaling and all that fancy ECU stuff? I thought the Star system was only looking at the readiness monitors and for any stored trouble codes.
Great question, I don't know. What I do know about STAR is basically seems to be "Test Only" and is directly tied to BAR and no options for repairs! Assuming it is BAR, who knows what the hell they will be looking for.. I am sure everything

According to CA.GOV

The State of California uses the following three strategies to determine whether a vehicle is STAR station designated or not:
  1. Gross polluters (vehicles which have failed a previous smog inspection with very high emission readings)
  2. High Emitter Profile vehicles. These are vehicle types designated by the Bureau of Automotive Repair as having high chances of failing the smog inspection.
  3. A random sample of all vehicles registered in California and being driven on public roadways.
Pray we never hit #3 as a group!

Quick Reply: Smog question or a helpful recommendation