should i sell/trade my jetta for this...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by STiYLIN
Glad I could entertain. I stand by my point. With a properly dialed STi suspension (take the damn postive camber out of the front) it will blow away the lightly modded Celica in cornering.

I don't want to go tit for tat or speculate on your experience so please don't speculate on mine. I get my info from driving the car and not "reading magazines". You should really try to hit some of the roads I daily on, they would blow your mind (the corners). So I was basing it off my experience and not just telling a keyboard story. I also can say I am not 100% on all things so there is room for error, but I truly believe awd is far superior in cornering capabilites. You made it seem like the 115hp oldschool Celica blows away STi's handling which I very much disagree with.
You are way off, and I don't want to argue with you at all - so this will be my last post on this matter. I know what I know, know what I have seen on the many on-track miles I have travelled.

There is NO comparison between driving on public roads and driving on a road course - NONE, zero. I am sure that you 100% believe what you are saying as I did before I had track time. I had a whole huge list of planned mods for my car and all of it changed the first 20 minute session I had at Thunderhill.

I am not speculating on your experience as I do not know you. Your comments about AWD handing better than RWD and the roads you daily drive on show exactly where you are at with this, so there is really no point in us continuing this conversation. I will not convince you that a light RWD car will definitely stick better than a AWD car weighing near 1000lbs more. You will not convince me that something I have seen many many times is not true. No worries.

My recommendation is don't get worked up about it, and go get a couple track days under your belt. It is an awesome and life-changing experience if you are into cars and driving like it sounds, and if you enjoy your driving on public roads - it will let you take it to the next level.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:07 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon, 14 Forester XT, 96 Miata
Its not just cornering ability. In a light car like a celica can brake later and car more speed through a corner than an STi. I was able to pass NSXs and 'Vettes in my '91 SE-R simply because I was moving faster through and out of a corner. At Reno-Fernley I was getting passed in coners by a Datsun 510 and then when we hit the front straight I would promptly pass him. But then he would come back and catch me again in the corners. I was driving a Stage 2 WRX w/ coilovers, upgraded brakes, and Azeniz 615s.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:15 PM

Car Info: 2001 2.5rs
well, the car handles like a gokart. the 20r doesnt have too much power but damn this thing GRIPS! it's not too fast as far as acceleration goes, but this thing seriously handles on a dime. it'll slide soooo well. I've just replaced pretty much everything on the suspension~~new shocks, front lca bushings, front strut bar, rear pan hard, rear 4links, sitting on trd springs. tires never rub on fenders amazingly. motor has dual weber 40s, with k&n filters covering custom cut velocity stacks. msd ignition + blaster coil, 2.5 in exhaust.. what else? I've been restoring the car since I bought it, but I STILL LOVE SUBIES!!!

I used to have that green gc8 coupe with wrx swap.. i picked this up to just work on something different for a while. mucho fun, but a bugeye has always been the one car i can't stop thinking about!

i am taking offers for my celica guys.. LMK what you got =P
(obviously i'll put some cash up for a suby)
Old 01-03-2007, 12:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
sell that v dub
Old 01-03-2007, 12:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Keep the veedub.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
I want one!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:46 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx, new (to me) 2006 exige, low n slow miata
I remember seeing that Celica somewhere, either Craigslist or classic-celicas. Beautiful ride, one of the best I've seen and I've been looking for an old Celica to buy. If I had an extra bugeye, I'd definitely trade
Old 01-03-2007, 02:12 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
You are way off, and I don't want to argue with you at all - so this will be my last post on this matter. I know what I know, know what I have seen on the many on-track miles I have travelled.

There is NO comparison between driving on public roads and driving on a road course - NONE, zero. I am sure that you 100% believe what you are saying as I did before I had track time. I had a whole huge list of planned mods for my car and all of it changed the first 20 minute session I had at Thunderhill.

I am not speculating on your experience as I do not know you. Your comments about AWD handing better than RWD and the roads you daily drive on show exactly where you are at with this, so there is really no point in us continuing this conversation. I will not convince you that a light RWD car will definitely stick better than a AWD car weighing near 1000lbs more. You will not convince me that something I have seen many many times is not true. No worries.

My recommendation is don't get worked up about it, and go get a couple track days under your belt. It is an awesome and life-changing experience if you are into cars and driving like it sounds, and if you enjoy your driving on public roads - it will let you take it to the next level.

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to argue about it nor am I taking any of it personally. I will go ahead and concede here as I do not have the trackexperience like you do. I know it is easy to discount the public roads thing, but many of the roads up here are so extremly technical that people come from all over the country to drive or ride on them.

Then there is all the private logging roads that are 30 ft wide and nice packed dirt and gravel and 0 traffic. So the roads I drive on at speed are either closed to traffic or extremley remote with a BIG enfasis on remote. Being from the bay myself I can understand that people from your area have no clue what these roads are like.

As far as driving fast/racing. Since when is it all on a track? Or should I say closed circut. Seems to me that every form of racing started on closed off public roads. There is still a ton of racing that doesn't take place on purpose built closed courses.

I will however get my track days under my belt and see how I feel after that. My first will be in June. And I def won't be testing any kind of limits that day. Also I get the hp/weight ratio thing. The dif between the mods you explained you had in public vs the pm you sent me does make me believe your story more. If you would have explained what you had done to that thing I would have never said squat.

Last edited by STiYLIN; 01-03-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:35 PM

Car Info: My Bikecycle
I say ...........
Old 01-03-2007, 02:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
whatever ur leaning to do gabe do it but i would say sell the dub and get that yota
Old 01-03-2007, 03:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2012 Mazda 3 Hatch
Unless you have a garage for that thing and another daily driver car for errands... I wouldn't get it. I would worry too much about getting it dinged by a soccer mom SUV (or similar) at the supermarket.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
i say do it! that thing looks pretty dope
Old 01-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Car Info: WRB 18g + Meth (sold) 07 BMW 335i coupe
yea...old celica looks pretty kool...
Old 01-03-2007, 09:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Sweet Celica.
That definately is a clean ride.

I'd say do it in a heartbeat
just because I love Watanabe's.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
hell yes that is sexy

Quick Reply: should i sell/trade my jetta for this...