Roadtrip to Oregon - Take the STi gas hog or rent a car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:36 PM

Car Info: Not a WRX any more . . .
Well I'd take the STi, but then I just bought a new vehicle and put 5000 miles on it in the first month. (The tire place couldn't believe it when I went back for a tire rotation after 4 weeks.) So I might not be the right person to ask.

That said, I had to make a last minute trip to LA a while back, last minute enough that is was logistically easier and cheaper to rent a car than fly (for two of us) and I found that the rate I could get for a Prius at the San Jose airport was cheaper than any econobox once I factored in the cost of fuel. If you're a geek it's fun to drive one at least once. But it won't be as fun as the STi.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:19 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
In my '03 WRX 5spd sedan which was stock except for Vishnu -0, Eibachs and P1's w/ 225/45-17 Yokohama ***CENSORED TO PREVENT BS*** tires I would never see more than 23-24mpg. Usually it was closer to 20 and on hot runs up to SF or so it would be more like 15-16mpg. One time I was bored on a weekend and tired of hearing people getting 27-30mpg in their WRX's when I wasn't seeing anywhere near it - so I drove back/forth from Sunnyvale to SF on 101 w/ the cruise set to 65, filled up, calculated and yep - 24mpg. Maybe I need to find a new way to do math. Maybe people are rounding up with the miles and down with the gallons? I dunno.
Haha, I'm guessing ES100s?

There's your problem right there (meaning a stock car, not the tires). When you get tuned, the air/fuel ratio is leaned out a bit and the car gets better gas mileage.... atleast that's my theory.

Also, the 27mpg, which has happened on more than one occasion, was driving down 5 from Pleasanton to Pomona cruise control set at 80. I got over 400 miles to the tank. I was running a VF-35, a tune, all the supporting mods, and a fat TMIC. Oh, maybe it's the K&N air filter

On a side note, I have heard that the ES100 replacement tires from Yokohama are supposed to be pretty damn good. Have you tried them out yet?

Last edited by STi-owns-evo; 06-07-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Haha, I'm guessing ES100s?

There's your problem right there (meaning a stock car, not the tires). When you get tuned, the air/fuel ratio is leaned out a bit and the car gets better gas mileage.... atleast that's my theory.

Also, the 27mpg, which has happened on more than one occasion, was driving down 5 from Pleasanton to Pomona cruise control set at 80. I got over 400 miles to the tank. I was running a VF-35, a tune, all the supporting mods, and a fat TMIC. Oh, maybe it's the K&N air filter

On a side note, I have heard that the ES100 replacement tires from Yokohama are supposed to be pretty damn good. Have you tried them out yet?
The part you set as bold in my post also said Vishu -0 which in my case was a dyno tuned ECUTEK reflash. I also had the second map for.... Better gas mileage - usually used this mode unless it was fun time.

27mpg going 80mph in a WRX......... Ahhhh whatever nevermind.

No I don't think I have tried the replacement. I have some A-043's on my MR-2 Spyder but the other cars have Bridgestones (RE-050A's on the R and RE92's on my Justy). Shopping for more tires soon tho as I picked up a 240z today which needs some 225/50-16's. Planning on some track time with this one and it puts 370hp to the wheels so prolly needs to be something fairly good.