Road bikers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Road bikers...

I wanna get a road bike to ride around.. my goal is to never drive my car in any distance less than 20miles.. for exercise and lack of gas spending..

i don't need anything super nice, i think at most I'd wanna spend is $400, but the cheaper the better while still getting a decent beginner/nonpicky bike.

any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:54 PM

You can find a great used bike on craigslist for <$400. The most important factor is finding a bike that will fit you properly. This website will help explain what size bike you will need: www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/ . Also your ideal bike should have the right gear ratios for the roads that you will be riding. Be sure to budget that you have some $ for a new helmet(brain bucket), a pr of gloves, and maybe a comfy seat.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
dont forget your trendy chrome messenger bag!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:01 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
dont forget your trendy chrome messenger bag!
i should also keep in mind the extra money i need to make it a fixie haha. forget that shiet. i ain't no hipster.

thanks for the info, i am gonna browse craigslist, i have found a few on there for 150-250 that seem very nice for what i need. im not looking to make it a full on get "crazy" bike.. i am moving into downtown santa rosa in august, which will be like a 5minute ride to my college, which is the biggest purpose of getting the bike.

as long as i can pedal it, switch through gears, and feel reasonably comfortable then that would be fine.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
My advice would be to ride as many bikes as you can before making a purchase- go to shops and let them know you are just shopping- but ride demo bikes, lots of them, no matter whether or not you can afford them new- especially higher end bikes so you have an idea how you want things to fit and what they should ride like when you go to check out used bikes.

I agree with others that a really good bike can be found for that much money- although in that price range I'd only be looking at the used market, as anything new at that price point is going to be pretty half-a$$ed in nearly all regards- so if you do go into shops and they ask- let them think you might spend about twice that much- just so they give you a taste of the good stuff.

If you are contemplating rides up to 20 miles, you'll be spending hours on the saddle, if the frame is a poor fit or anything else is less than optimal, you will be suffering on account of it.

I would say nobody anywhere can really tell you what bike will be best for you- and you shouldn't let anybody tell you otherwise- you really need to get out there and find out for yourself.

And I know you aren't looking for anything fancy, but take some time to inform your decision before settling on something you'll hate in a few months.

That's my advice anyway...

Last edited by psoper; 06-20-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:15 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Invest in a good seat. Most people find seats hard and uncomfortable, but I really don't mind mine. The thing is, if you're a guy, a groove in the seat is a MUST. There's a vein that gets pinched that leads to your family jewels if you don't. Something similar to this: http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/recreation/speedv/

20 miles is a pretty short ride, so you really don't need anything fancy. I currently use a mountain bike with road tires, and that'll take me maybe an 1 hour 15 min to ride 20 miles. My brother just bought a used road bike, and I think he used http://bikepedia.com/ for some basic info.

Other than that, similar to what people said, go to cycling shops and try out some bikes. Find out what feels comfortable, and if you really want a road bike or more of a hybrid. They'll be trying to sell you a bike, so you should get some pretty good information on how to tell if a frame fits you, and other stuff.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 PM
VIP Member

brilliant info thanks.

and yeah i never understood the groove in the seat, thanks for clearing that up.

i can't wait to try some bikes out. my buddy might be selling his specialized that's super light and he loves, but he wants something in the 4,000 dollar range..(hes very serious about it) he got his specialized for 1100 and wants 450.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Ultra-light bikes are great for climbing and convienent but they come at a price. Unless its carbon fiber you can count on a pretty rough ride. Aluminum and titanium are generally used for light frames but aren't nearly as good at absorbing shock.

As you go to different shops ask about 'house' bikes. A lot of local shops put together frankenwares that consist of higher end components in the clusters, derailer, shifters, etc. while using generic brand parts for the frame, wheels, handle bars, pedals. You can get a solid bike with quality where it actually counts for a lower price.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:25 AM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
$400 is pretty cheap to spend on a quality road bike. A brand new bike will start at around $800 (at the lowest) and go up from there. But the good news is you wont be dissapointed from a $800 road bike, they are plenty sporty.

I recommend a Trek 1.2, a Giant OCR 2, Fuji Roubaix, etc
Old 06-21-2009, 12:43 AM
VIP Member

^^thats why i am looking more for a used bike..

and honestly 20 miles will be the biggest ride i will do frequently.. IF i do those rides.. from my new house everything will be within about 3 miles.. most stuff within half a mile.

im thinking 20miles as in that would be the most i would wanna ride before hopping in my car and just driving there. i will be about a 1 minute bike ride from the pubs (main destinations) and about 5 minutes from my college.. so im not worried about having something to be proud of. one of my buddy's has some random piece of crap road bike that he rides about 20 miles a day and has no complaints with his nice seat.

the main goal is to get something that will make what would be 20 minute walks, quick bike rides. i have no plans to do big bike rides.. the average day will likely be 1.5 mile each way rides. so as you can tell, something an enthusiast would want as a minimum is probably more than i would ever need with this kind of riding.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester X
Greg it's gabe. Text me I have a bike at my moms house. My sister got it a long time ago and moved to SF. She never used it because it was a guys bike and too big for her. She wants to sell it and I'm sure she'll hook you up if you want to take a look at it.
If you redo the brakes, get a seat and some T&T you would be set. Not pretty enough to want to steal and not old enough to not work.

PS: I really don't see you doing any 20 mile rides right away. Riding works a different part of your body... it sucks at first. I use to ride to work every day and back for a year. I'd leave over an hour early just so I wouldn't be soaked when I showed up.

If you get a bike though I'd be down to run around town with you. I have a old bike I made into a single gear a while ago. If your remember the post on modders. I need to ride it more.

I also agree to grab something that will make santa rosa city streets a little easier to deal with. Not that many great roads around town that won't hurt your nuts, haha.

Last edited by wingless06; 06-21-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/trackbikes.htm

20 miles I'd get a single speed commuter.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wingless06
Greg it's gabe. Text me I have a bike at my moms house. My sister got it a long time ago and moved to SF. She never used it because it was a guys bike and too big for her. She wants to sell it and I'm sure she'll hook you up if you want to take a look at it.
If you redo the brakes, get a seat and some T&T you would be set. Not pretty enough to want to steal and not old enough to not work.

PS: I really don't see you doing any 20 mile rides right away. Riding works a different part of your body... it sucks at first. I use to ride to work every day and back for a year. I'd leave over an hour early just so I wouldn't be soaked when I showed up.

If you get a bike though I'd be down to run around town with you. I have a old bike I made into a single gear a while ago. If your remember the post on modders. I need to ride it more.

I also agree to grab something that will make santa rosa city streets a little easier to deal with. Not that many great roads around town that won't hurt your nuts, haha.
yeah exactly, im think short distances since i am moving to 5th street most likely. literally you can see the russian river brewery from it.. well kinda.. it's close. so my rides will be short. im thinking 20 miles would be absolute MAX id ever wanna do. ill hit you up bout your sisters bike.

Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/trackbikes.htm

20 miles I'd get a single speed commuter.

i have absolutely no desire to be a hipster
Old 06-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by evsoul
i have absolutely no desire to be a hipster
Just because you ride a single speed doesn't mean you're a hipster.

Freewheel + Brake
Coaster Brake
Fixed + Brake
Fixed

Your choice =)
Old 06-21-2009, 12:51 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Problem is a used bike is not much cheaper than a brand new bike. A nice road bike holds its value like you wouldn't believe. Thats why I bought a brand new one. Whenever I would find a bike on craigslist in my size that was a good deal, someone had already snatched it up or was gonna come see it.

Quick Reply: Road bikers...