Review of Gruppe-S's Helix DNA Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 04:27 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Review of Gruppe-S's Helix DNA Coilovers

So, I finally had some time to get my new Helix DNA coilovers setup correctly, get a decent drive under them, and get a race under them. I feel that I can now give them a decent review.

The Good:

Like any decent suspension, they are of course firmer than stock, but that was goal, so it goes in the 'good column'. As expected, the car no longer exhibits the annoying tendancy (esp. in quick maneuvers such as those found in autoX) to 'Lean, Turn, Unlean' on quick L->R->L or RLR steering inputs. Granted, this should be case for any coilover, but its worth confirming true for these.

The ride is not harsh except on the roughest SF streets (for those of you from the area, think if Mission St. in the SOMA area). The valving is just about right for the springs included. The commonly referred to 'NVH' is increased slightly. Noise I would give about a 20% increase, most noticeable at 30-40MPH. By 60MPH, wind noise has overridden all tire noise. Below that, there's not enough noise be noticed over the stock noise. I might actually argue there is less vibration than there was stock. At least the difference is so small small for me not to notice. There's not really any of the 'jounciness' I was afraid of unless i set the damping to its minimum, and I have yet to hit the bumpstops.

Adjustability: The preload and damper settings are easy to access/change. They DO require removal of the wheels (for preload) and removal of the rear seat for damping in the rear, but thats expected with a noninverted design. For height, I was able to get the car low enough to have about 1" of clearance to my 3" exhaust, and all the way back up to about 0.5" over stock. I chose a final setting of 16.4" hubcenter to fender in the front, and 15.5" hubcenter to fender in the rear, which gives a good combo of lowered stance, closer (but not exactly) to even fender gap, and reasonable clearance to get into my hellacious drive way.

The Bad:

Repeating features on the free way can cause an annoying bounce that was not present stock. This occurs at the fully stiff settings, the fully soft settings, and the medium damping setting. Think of the freeways that are built with the 8 ft. 'plates' of concrete (880 through Oakland, for example). Its not bad enough that I feel that the car isn't under control, but just enough to be annoying.

Height adjustment. Sure, it works. I have adjusted mine twice now. Its a PITA. The design is such that you have to loosen the locking collar, loosen the preload all the way, then grab the threaded shock body and just turn with all your might. There's no place on the body that is not threaded, and so you cannot use a tool to turn it. It can be difficult to get enough grip on the body to turn it. I hate to think what it will be like to do this once they've been on the car for more than a week. I really which Helix had taken the time to put some sort of nonthreaded section on the shock absorber that could be grabbed with a tool to turn.

Conclusion:

Overall, these were well worth the $1000 I spent on them. I would recommend them to some who needs what coilovers offer (improved suspension feel w/ height adjustability). I'm pleased with the significant improvement in turn in and reduction in understeer they have offered, and look forward to playing with the settings in my future races.

Some tips: Do the install yourself - if you have even the slightest ability, these will be cake. if you can do a TBE, you can do these. I got them installed by Gruppe-S, but removed one and reinstalled without issue. Oh well, thats what I get for being a *****.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
i plan on getting these in the near future, thanks for the review

-Ave
Old 10-30-2005, 06:42 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
nice writeup i'm sure it will help others make their decisions.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
*clap*clap*clap*
Old 10-30-2005, 07:11 PM

+1 for the DNAs

I've had mine on for about 5 weeks now...its a great upgrade.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:40 PM

Talking dna review

nice review and keep updating if there are something new
Old 10-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Thanks for the review!

What was your time today?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Thanks for the review!

What was your time today?
51 flat on my last run. Would have been probably mid 50's had I not half spun on the end of the slalom. Was pretty pleased with the day.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:16 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by mcowger
51 flat on my last run. Would have been probably mid 50's had I not half spun on the end of the slalom. Was pretty pleased with the day.
Yeah, nice runs! When you came in on your first run with a 52 something, I could notice your car looked different. Sweet deal man, glad you are happy with them.

-Gagan
Old 10-31-2005, 09:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Great review Matt, glad they are working out for you.

Mike
Old 10-31-2005, 09:11 AM

nice to hear
Old 10-31-2005, 09:34 AM

Car Info: for the Car Acrobatic Team
Wow, awesome review. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and....well, they look really good in the box in my office. I gotta put them in soon.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:03 AM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Nice review! One note/question ?

I chose a final setting of 16.4" hubcenter to fender in the front, and 15.5" hubcenter to fender in the rear
Is that measured with the weight on the car? Reason I ask is that is higher than stock height at least on an 02-03! Stock 02-03 Wagon is 15.25" in front, 14.80" in back (sedan is 15.6/14.8).

Had fun racing the BeaSSt (my 96 Impala SS, with a 383 stroker motor....check THIS VIDEO to hear it) yesterday with the first time out on the new motor, but definitely have some more work to do. The muffler on the pass side is too close to the driveshaft, and shifts over enough to HIT the driveshaft on sharp right hand turns . Also, the oil pan pickup is coming uncovered under sustained hard G corners, oil pressure dropping from about 45 PSI to 25 PSI under such conditions . Time to get an Accusump. Other than that, the new motor is getting stronger and will get stronger yet once I nail the tuning. Enough torque now that first gear is COMPLETELY useless on course
Old 10-31-2005, 10:06 AM

Thats measured with the suspension UNLOADED (no wheels, car on jackstands). I'll get a measurement tonight of what that is when loaded.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:01 AM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Cool. Wondered about that .

Matt : I'd be interested in trying out your car at the next event on the Helix coilovers. Interested in letting me co-drive if I supply my 235/40R17 Hankooks?

Quick Reply: Review of Gruppe-S's Helix DNA Coilovers