Really could use a helping hand right now.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru Impreza STI
Exclamation Really could use a helping hand right now.

First off I would like to say I know I am an idiot for doing what I did, which got me in this mess so the only thing I need right now is some help.

I have a 2005 sti with 26k miles and I recently bought a aem cold air intake. Initially the check engine light went on and I found out it was because of the position MAF sensor, so I repositioned the sensor and the check engine light went away. I cleaned the filter using the dry cleaner recommended by aem and then washed it and installed it on the car. Stupid me thought the filter would dry overnight so I took the car out the next day. When I accelerated to about 4k rpm, the car instantly jerked and would not accelerate anymore, I let go of the gas and slowed down and tried it one more time and again it wouldn't go past 4k rpm. After doing a bit of research, I have come to the conclusion that I most likely hydrolocked my engine. After the whole incident, I went out and bought iridium spark plugs and replaced my OEM ones. I replaced it because when I tried to start the car, it had problems starting, sometimes it wouldn't even start, but once I replaced it with new spark plugs the car started perfectly fine. The OEM spark plugs that I took out were burnt at the top portion of the threading, but the small needle looked fine. Also my check engine light is blinking, no longer solid and doing more research, found out it is because of a misfire. When I used a OBD reader it gave me 14 different codes, were all sensor codes. Is there anything I can do besides taking it back to the dealer? Anyone have tips for a newbie? Any kind of help/tips is much appreciated since I am freaking out over this.

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
An intake is not advised unless you get tuned for it, but not sure if that would affect the other things
Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 PM

I agree, but for me I actually ran this same intake on my first STI same year as well and I had no issues with it, ran it for 20k miles, no check engine light, nothing. But now I just picked up the car and installed the intake and now all this happens. I honestly think it's because I sucked in all the water, but I have no idea how that affects the car or what damage it is going to cause or what I should do to fix it, or I could be completely wrong and it could be something else.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Are you sure you made certain all of the connectors are plugged back together properly as in they all snapped into location?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
I dont think a moist filter has enough water in it to hydrolock the engine.
I have driven in the pouring rain with a CAI and it gets plenty wet w/out any issues.
I would agree that you should check all connections again.
BTW I would remove everything and put it back to stock. reset the codes and see from there.
GL
Old 02-23-2012, 06:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Your motor is NOT hydro locked. I'd put money on it.

My advice. Take that intake off and sell it or burn it. AEM makes some good stuff... for hondas. There are better companies that specialize in subarus and intakes really aren't a necessity unless you need the flow for a bigger turbo.

So....

1. Pop the negative off the battery.
2. Uninstall the AEM
3. Install your stock stuff
4. Clean your MAF sensor with alcohol
5. Double check all sensors that are triggering codes
6. Put negative back on battery.
7. Start it.

My bet is that it'll run just fine. You may have oiled your MAF sensor.

I had a similar issue and freaked out and called Mike (GST) and thought I blew up my motor. Basically I was parking my car on a hill nose down. Every time it rained I'd start my car and turn around and drive up the hill. My SPT would suck up water and it would do exactly what you're describing. Including the blinking and not wanting to restart.

After I cleaned of the MAF and figured out what was happening it went away and hasn't returned. And I was sucking up a lot more fluid than you are.

So... do the list above and my guess is that it works.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM
General Pimpin'

Oh... and the dealer isn't gonna help you at all. They'll tell you to take off the AEM. Put your stock stuff on and come back if you still have issues... or do it for you and charge you $120 an hour. And any warranty you may have will be tossed out the window.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM

Thanks a lot for the help, I will take off the intake and put my oem one back on and let you all know what happens. I will also double check the connections, the only thing I took off was the maf sensor. Although I do wonder, how would you clean the maf sensor with alcohol? An after doing all that the check engine light should go off automatically?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Riceboi907
Thanks a lot for the help, I will take off the intake and put my oem one back on and let you all know what happens. I will also double check the connections, the only thing I took off was the maf sensor. Although I do wonder, how would you clean the maf sensor with alcohol? An after doing all that the check engine light should go off automatically?

You just take the 2 screws out. Carefully pull the maf sensor out. Don't touch it. Have some alcohol in the alcohol lid. Couple clean Q-tips. Use the Q-tips and gently wipe any gunk off of it. Reinstall it.

As for the CEL's going away automatically. They might. Depends on if I'm right or not. If there is still something there that's triggering the CEL's they'll just come back.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Can you use wire-dryer to do this? I know there's a spray, but I'm not sure which one
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Originally Posted by Riceboi907
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Cleaning - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

*edit* actually don't follow that, just undo the two screws...

Leave your battery disconnected for 5 minutes and that will reset the check engine light.

Check to make sure you have a GOOD seal on the MAF. I had a similar problem when I switched to the SPT intake with the same symptoms with the 4k bucking and trouble starting.

I think that the 14 CELS are from you disconnecting something while changing out the spark plugs so check ALL of the connections that you hooked up and make sure you didn't miss/cross any of them.

Last edited by code3suby; 02-23-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
no, you didnt hydro-lock your motor.

Also I hope you tried reseting your ECU before you went through all the trouble of replacing your sparkplugs correct?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention, I used the obd reader before I installed the new spark plugs. I thought the new spark plugs would help but I guess not, at least I got new plugs now! But I will definitely double check all my connections and make sure I didn't accidentally unplug something
Old 02-23-2012, 07:10 PM

I did try to erase the codes one time but the light came back and was still flashing, so after that I figured I give the spark plugs a shot.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
I agree your engine isnt hydrolocked. I hydrolocked my GTI once due to FL rain and a CAI. 12V VR6 motor, bent 5 valves, engine was locked up solid...hence, hydroLOCK. Sounds like a fuel cutout issue to me and your ECU putting you into limp mode so you dont seriously screw something up. The MAF would do this if it isnt reading the right airflow. GL and keep us posted, Im interested in the outcome. SUUPER low miles on that STI...hope it gets worked out.

Quick Reply: Really could use a helping hand right now.