READ-law enforcement update

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
$2500 for no cat?!

When did that go into effect? Last I heard, it was less than $1000.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 PM

Car Info: wrx02
I posted this already in baffle thread, but here it is again to share my experience.

I think CHP in bay area is really gearing up toward cracking down such mods. Just yesterday, thursday mid-night, I got pulled over for loud exhaust in Oakland. I wasn't speeding at all. It was a few blocks away from the highway entrance. He followed me right next to me for a few blocks. I guess he was listening to my exhaust while driving right next me. Me knowing cop is next me, of course, I drove like a grandma and try not to stall the engine - to emit less sound as possible. But he still lighted me up. My power mods are only Borla Hush and K&N CARB intake. This CHP was old - he was teaching a younger cop what to look for.
He let me go. thank you. But did warn me about my exhaust being too loud and my lights(morettes) being modified.
I think our good days are over or, at least, getting much more difficult. Time to put my stock lights and cat back.

Perhaps, CHP need to generate more revenues in this economic crisis...

Last edited by willow; 03-20-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:44 PM

Car Info: Subaru STI
I am glad i just took off my Down pipe last night for the stock'r (warranty issues...) Oh, and lane spliting is legal, and there is a reason, first so that CHP moto officers can get through traffic, and secondly because my ducati cant sit it traffic period. the clutch will overheat immediately, its just not made to do that. Oh, and if more able bodied people rode bikes there would be NO traffic. I digress sorry.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
uhhh ohhhh, borla hush is too loud? i'm screwed........
Old 03-20-2009, 03:26 PM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by KrAzYkld
uhhh ohhhh, borla hush is too loud? i'm screwed........
That's exactly what I'm trying to say! Borla hush mated with stock downpipe - loud enough to be pulled over now.

Perhaps, my STI engine, transmission mounts, kartboy pitch mount increased sound a bit more. But my rpm didn't even pass over 2,000 when I tried my best to keep the sound down when he was following next to me.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:47 PM

Car Info: 70 BMW 1600
Originally Posted by horsecut54
I am glad i just took off my Down pipe last night for the stock'r (warranty issues...) Oh, and lane spliting is legal, and there is a reason, first so that CHP moto officers can get through traffic, and secondly because my ducati cant sit it traffic period. the clutch will overheat immediately, its just not made to do that. Oh, and if more able bodied people rode bikes there would be NO traffic. I digress sorry.

Why does your Ducati's dry clutch overheat? I've never had that problem on my Monster.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:50 PM

Car Info: 99RS-T
If you get pulled over for exhaust noise do you have to pop the hood too?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:18 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by mattej
If you get pulled over for exhaust noise do you have to pop the hood too?
it use to be probabale cause to pop it

now i think they can just open it

i dont have lnks for any of this info
Old 03-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Car Info: bici putas
i really need my bar sticker now I guess. If my car gets towed for having a wrx engine in a RS body with dissimilar vincodes I'd have to say... they'd need to taze me.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Originally Posted by sigma pi
it use to be probabale cause to pop it

now i think they can just open it

i dont have lnks for any of this info
Probable cause, but they still need your consent. BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

It is a 45 min vid, but teaches you a whole lot of tasteful information.

-Gio
Old 03-20-2009, 05:05 PM

Car Info: 99RS-T
WARNING contains rant-->^^Yeah I thought there should be some sort of probable cause to warrent opening your hood, exhaust noise doesn't seem like it should be one , these days who knows. All this makes me wonder what is happening to our rights as motoring enthusiasts when a cop can write a ticket for noise pollution based on there calibrated EAR?!? lol I mean speeding tickets are based off a calibrated gun so what gives? Innocent till proven guilty, yeah right. Your left with the ticket unless you want to/can afford to spend a day dealing with court or whatever agency deals with us, all because it sounded like it was too loud. The agenda is MONEY and they know 99.9% of the time the accused will just pony up the cash because it is easier/less costly than fighting it. Sorry just needed to vent
Old 03-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
this is teh gay! $2,500 for no cat is insane! got to go out and buy me a catted downpipe now.........
Old 03-20-2009, 05:16 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Loud pipes save lives. I don't think either should be enforced (Bike/Car).
Amen.

Originally Posted by Overbear
Scientific proof please...

Loud pipes = hearing damage, loss of sleep, noise pollution, and disturbing the peace.
You don't need scientific "proof" for this, you just need some common sense. Anything that makes people take notice of you as a motorcyclist means raising your visibility, which is an added safety measure. The same logic applies to reflective tape on helmets, brightly colored safety gear, daytime running lights, etc. Granted, "loud pipes" should be not be excessively loud so as to cause a significant disturbance, but cagers should be able to hear a bike before they see it.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:22 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by horsecut54
No Duc's clutch should overheat sitting at idle or operating at low RPMs. Something sounds fishy about that.

Originally Posted by ryansti
Why does your Ducati's dry clutch overheat? I've never had that problem on my Monster.
I never had that problem with my '02 900SS.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:30 PM

Car Info: .
May be time for me to 'move' to NV.

Quick Reply: READ-law enforcement update