Q: How many CHP does it take to pull over an STi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Unfortunately, Section 27150 doesn't define "excessive" meaning the only guideline given is the 95dB. It's really lame how much grey area the write into the CVC

(I guess the "intent to increase volume" line got rewritten)
I think that the 27151. Most people read it as, you are not allowed to modify the exhaust, but they forget everything after the "so that" part, which really changes the whole meaning.

As for the 27150, in the CHP bulletin regarding modified exhaust, unusual noise is considering anything different or weird compared to other motor vehicles.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 AM

Car Info: WRX SUBARU 06
i remember in 2006 when they pulled me over for BOV only ...it was that special force called "drag net" and there was 3 cops with the car and 2 bikes...it was so hilarious...i thought they're goin to impound my car....it was so funny
Old 06-19-2008, 10:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
I asked the last guy about motorcycles and how loud they are and as one passed by he said they are not aloud to be that loud. I then was waiting for one of the three amigos to do something, but nothing happened. they just kept saying loud, obnoxious, NOS, illegal, but did not even know what they were looking at.

Oh, and according to CHP a bypass valve and blowoff valve are the exact same thing.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:00 AM

Car Info: evo8
Originally Posted by VRT Gump
Oh, and according to CHP a bypass valve and blowoff valve are the exact same thing.
they are the same,they both make noise
Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Damn....Ive been extremely lucky - In the past 4 years Ive been pulled over in my WRX and STi at least 5 times for driving like an ***. Each time I was very polite (called them officer, yes sir, no sir, no attitude, admitted to any wrongdoing, no BS, no excuses, etc...) and every time I was let off with a warning. Hell, just a couple months ago the cop had to follow me for over a mile with his lights on running red lights just to catch me He must not have gotten me on radar cause he was pissed when he finally pulled me over and had to let me go

Knocks on wood.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 08 sti
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Damn....Ive been extremely lucky - In the past 4 years Ive been pulled over in my WRX and STi at least 5 times for driving like an ***. Each time I was very polite (called them officer, yes sir, no sir, no attitude, admitted to any wrongdoing, no BS, no excuses, etc...) and every time I was let off with a warning. Hell, just a couple months ago the cop had to follow me for over a mile with his lights on running red lights just to catch me He must not have gotten me on radar cause he was pissed when he finally pulled me over and had to let me go

Knocks on wood.

truth. nothing will get you out of a ticket better than "yes sir, no sir" kissing ***, beong honest, admitting to everything and having your license, insurance and registration all ready for the officer.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by Vhalin
truth. nothing will get you out of a ticket better than "yes sir, no sir" kissing ***, beong honest, admitting to everything and having your license, insurance and registration all ready for the officer.
Exactly. Also, always keep your seatbelt on and both hands on the wheel when he comes over...and if its dark, turn your overhead light on - This way the cop will feel safer knowing that they can see you and that you are less of a threat with your belt on and hands where they can see them.

Also, I never have my insurance and license ready, I only bring them out if they ask for it - And when they do, I tell them "My insurance and registration is in the glove box" before I get it, this way they are prepared and dont think Im reaching for a gun or weapon. Same for when I go for my wallet in my back pocket.

I know it may sound overkill but cops come across some shady situations and I dont want to be associated with a criminal - you dont want them to remember you at all!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:10 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by 06STi
In CHP Thats not correct. Thise are DOT officers. They use white slick backs to enforce laws with truckers.

The DOT guy is worse. All his job to do all day is to inspect vehicals. I would hate the day I get stopped by a DOT officer.
That's not SOP; my friend is a CHP, non DOT, and he drives the White Ghost.
The DOTs drive the pick up trucks.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by Vhalin
UNless yoru liscense, registartion and proff of insurance are directly at your finger tips I wouldnt go rooting around for them in your car until the officer is at your window and knows what you are doing. Otherwise thats a pretty good way to get a gun pulled on you.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:04 PM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
My favorite part of the whole thing is when the CHP pointed to the Intercooler spray line and asked "Is that Nitrous? Do you have Nitrous on your car?"
yes, nitros is usually sprayed on the outside and sometimes on the windshield.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
My favorite part of the whole thing is when the CHP pointed to the Intercooler spray line and asked "Is that Nitrous? Do you have Nitrous on your car?"
I dunno, I still liked "that must be for the adjustable ignition" (when pointing to the BPV)

And...

"does it make a woosh sound?"
"yes, they all do."
"I don't care, does it make a woosh sound when you let off the gas?"
"yes, they all do."
"I don't care, does it make a woosh sound when you let off the gas?"

Old 06-19-2008, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by jewpac42
UNless yoru liscense, registartion and proff of insurance are directly at your finger tips I wouldnt go rooting around for them in your car until the officer is at your window and knows what you are doing. Otherwise thats a pretty good way to get a gun pulled on you.
last night, on the underside of the lid of my armrest extension I noticed there was a clip which is where I then clipped my registration and my insurance card for easy access rather than digging around on the glove box.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM

Car Info: STI 2006 White Stage 666
Erik got pwn3d but that doesn't let the pigs scare me! *** them haha
Old 06-23-2008, 01:37 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
last night, on the underside of the lid of my armrest extension I noticed there was a clip which is where I then clipped my registration and my insurance card for easy access rather than digging around on the glove box.
I've been using that since day 1 of owning my STi :RockOn - not mine: it's nice to have that there

-Gio
Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Look what you folks have to remember is, cops are just people too. They are doing a job, try to put yourself in their place...

1)If at night, pull over in a well lit area, I hate the dark and so do they.
2)Pull over in a safe place, if you make the officer feel safe, that is going to reduce his stress and in turn give you someone more level headed to deal with.
3)Take your keys out of the ignition, place them on the dash, and keep BOTH hands on the wheel
4)Ask once he has come up to your window and asked for your ID, if its ok to reach for it. Inform him of where you are reaching and for what, keep all motions smooth, and not "rapid"
5)BE POLITE, like I said, the guy is human too. He gets crap all day long, if you end up being the high point of his day with a yes sir and a thank you officer have a nice day and be carful, you are the one he is going to be more likely to not only let go with just a warning, but remember as 'that nice guy in the STI' the next time he sees you.

I can't tell you how many times I got pulled over when I was younger in my mini truck (hydros and dump bed), and how many times officers would stop and say to the officer that pulled me over "he is cool" and I would end up with a "Don't hit the hydros in the street anymore and keep your bass down, have a good day"

Quick Reply: Q: How many CHP does it take to pull over an STi?