Pulled over for power slide (not on purpose)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:27 PM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by JAC Wagon
AHH but thats not true...

few examples:
tboned at an intersection (not if you are paying attention to other cars)
tire blow out on the highway (do a pre trip inspection of your vehicle and replace tires when they are due. Also do not exceed rated load or speed for the tires)
black ice on a bridge (or anywhere for that matter) (always expect black ice on a bridge when it is cold, and ALWAYS expect low traction when it is cold and wet. SLOW DOWN!!)
rear ended at a stop light (leave enough space in front of you to escape when you see someone fail to stop)
Well it is a good thing you do not work for the Federal Gov't.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by aboothman
I will disagree with you on the tboned and not paying attention to other cars. I was tboned by a drunk driver and there was no way to avoid it. I had a long green light and was approaching the intersection from over 500 feet away. This other vehicle was travelling far faster than the posted limit and drove through a red that was red for quite some time. Struck my driver door, nothing I could have done would have stopped that.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by SolSurferX
I had an auto WRX a few years ago and had almost the same thing happen to me- the back end stepped out pretty unexpectedly on a dry road, so I could see it being worse on a slick surface.

If I recall correctly the 4eat is front biased?
If I recall, the auto has a rear bias in first gear. 45-55 split for first gear then changes in second.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Want to steal my car?
I get stabby!

Car Info: 05 Wrx Impreza
Thanks for reading guys, yea it must have been the slick road. I went back to that U turn alone while it was raining today (El camino across from La Paloma cantina going back towards san thomas and Auto zone) and yep the pavement where you make that turn looks so smooth like a black sheet of ice lol. My car did get a little sideways going about 5mph-10mph. Funny side story, I seen the cop that stopped me over at the food court at lawrence expressway buying sweet potato's at the stall there lol and I found out he was into that whole street racing scene most of us did back in the mid 90's while in High school. He was talking about racing his 93 integra gsr over on Junction st in SJ...Felt kinda strange having that conversation with a cop lol overall cool dude (Officer Tran)
Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 PM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

Car Info: '02 WRB Bugeye Wagon
Originally Posted by aboothman
AHH but thats not true...

few examples:
tboned at an intersection (not if you are paying attention to other cars)
True, but what if its an intersection with a semi waiting to turn left and a drunk driver comes flying up on the side of the truck you cant see? Oh wait, you must have xray cameras on your car.

tire blow out on the highway (do a pre trip inspection of your vehicle and replace tires when they are due. Also do not exceed rated load or speed for the tires)
Ahh, yes thats because theres never ANYTHING in the road that might say... I donno, cut the tire? And theres never been a case of defects in products like tires... anyone remember firestone and how many cars were wrecked due to faulty tires? Had nothing to do with "load ratings" or "speed ratings"

black ice on a bridge (or anywhere for that matter) (always expect black ice on a bridge when it is cold, and ALWAYS expect low traction when it is cold and wet. SLOW DOWN!!)
So youre one of those people who assume going 10 mph on the interstate will save you from sliding off the road or into a guardrail?

rear ended at a stop light (leave enough space in front of you to escape when you see someone fail to stop)
Oh ok, Ill remember that next time I am sitting in the left lane with a concrete curb next to me, a car in front of me and a car to the right of me. So when I see that car coming up behind me Ill just get out and politely ask the car next to me or in front of me to "excuse me" so I can get by.

Not sure what the hell that has to do with ANYTHING, but I do.
Sorry dude, you can sit there and talk defensive driving all day but the bottom line is youre wrong. You absolutely can NOT prepare and prevent every single risk and situation just because you say you drive "alert".

They are called "accidents" for a reason. If they were on purpose then yes, Im sure we could midigate some risks but again, youll never diminish all risk. Dont believe me? Read about it.

For what its worth, I have to take 2 days of RISK MANANGEMENT training every single year because the job we do has such a high level of risk. So you will never be able to convince me you can control every single situation by checking your tires, slowing down, and leaving an extra few feet in front of you at a stop light.

heres another example if you want to try and rebuke this also...

what about when I was on the highway a few years ago with cars on either side of me and the truck in front of me had a wheelbarrow fly off the truck and slam into the front of my car. had I NOT been driving defensively I wouldnt have noticed it, slammed on the brakes keeping said wheelbarrow from slamming into the windshield and possibly killing me and my passenger. What would you have done to negate all that risk? perhaps just stay at home and never drive anywhere?

Last edited by JAC Wagon; 03-20-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
I'm absolutely convinced aboothman lives in his own little world.
Many accidents are avoidable with proper precaution, but not ALL. You always have to account for your fellow idiots on the road, after all.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I've had my sti do this even at a low speed.. The issue was there was gravel on the road.. I can 100% say el camino right now has tons of gravel on the road especially after a rain. My Shelby is picking up tons of gravel lately it's getting annoying.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
This doesn't make sense... How fast were you going into the turn and how much power did you apply? You said it's an auto, did it downshift and hit boost? If it did you were probably applying too much throttle for a U-turn in the rain.

-- Ed
Only logical explanation and 100% spot on. We think alike Ed (Break down problems into their logical fundamentals and extract all non-logical answers)
Old 03-21-2011, 12:06 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Hit boost at 12mph, it happens....
Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 AM

Car Info: Nadda
1) Glad you didn't get a ticket.

2) No one was on boost trying to do a U-Turn (Ed is wrong)

3) Multiple people have experience on the road and their stories align with the OP.

4) Road has issues. People could probably do the same U-turn elsewhere with the same speed and not worry about tailing out.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:18 AM

This is retarded. I've had the exact same thing happen, and right in front of a cop. Luckily he just followed me, and when he realized I was just trying to find street parking and got too hasty u turning and the unprotected left in pouring rain.

Also the autos are incredible hard to modulate throttle with, definitely a flaw of the tranny.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by iLoqin
1) Glad you didn't get a ticket.

2) No one was on boost trying to do a U-Turn (Ed is wrong)

Ed is NOT wrong, and I'll tell you why. There's something that dictates the way things work, and that's called "Physics". If you take into consideration all the mechanical things, road conditions (driver said nothing about gravel and the cop would know if he did it on purpose, even on accident due to driver error because he saw it happen).

I know the road was slick, but I've had 3 Imprezas, 1 of them being an automatic and I have never "accidentally" done a powerslide with all the 350k miles I have driven in those 3 cars. I drive like a maniac too... Sometimes I TRY to get my car to "powerslide" and I can't, even in the rain with bald tires and 2x the HP the OP has on a manual transmission with all the power set to rear on the DCCD.

Unless there was oil or something insanely slick where you couldn't even walk on it because it's so slick then it was driver error and that's why the cop stopped him. It wasn't black ice, this can't happen just because there is some slick surface (he said stock tires but I assume they weren't bald otherwise he would have mentioned it).

There are more points I could make but I'm tired of typing. lol (for the first time ever! only because Im on an iphone that doesnt belong to me)

BTW: He didn't have to be "on boost", the car has enough torque to do it at lower RPM's if given the right amount of throttle (too much). It's just really hard to believe that someone "accidentally powerslid" with the rear end coming out on an auto wrx without at least some effort.

Speed dictates how your car acts in a turn, if you go to fast you lose traction and the basic fact of the matter is that is was the OP's fault because he obviously was driving too fast for the condition because he lost traction... Even if he didn't try to do it on purpose doesn't mean he's not the one who did it and made it happen. That's just from a logical standpoint with no other facts involved. (All I know is what I read).

Last edited by brucelee; 03-21-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 AM

Perhaps we have a different definition of the word "Power Slide".

do you guys know what a power slide is? It's a lateral slide induced by power/throttle as you speed through a turn. You can't do this without trying or failing at driving.

If perhaps you're describing "understeer" through a turn that you're taking too fast for the turn, that's not a power slide nor is it anything like a powerslide... Basically your front tires lose traction more than the rear. The OP described the tail coming out ("Drift style").
Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 AM

Car Info: Fast
words words words (trying to shorten post)
Well you proved my point. I mean you probably could have avoided having to use your brakes at all if you were traveling at the proper speed with proper following distance

Can any of you kiddies tell me what a safe following distance is if you are traveling 70 mph? Speeding and Tailgating are major causes of accidents, but people think that they have hella quick reactions and their super cars can make up for the lack of time to react.

FYI I am glad you take 2 days a year of RISK MANAGEMENT. Everyone should have such a class. It is unfortunately that people need to be taught how to be aware, but that is the world we live in.

Not trying to start a pissing contest, but my job consist of constant risk management as well as emergency vehicle driving.

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
I'm absolutely convinced aboothman lives in his own little world.
Many accidents are avoidable with proper precaution, but not ALL. You always have to account for your fellow idiots on the road, after all.
You are right. I do live in my own world, and it is one where I have zero accidents on my driving record. The only way that will change is if I am caught unaware. You are also helping make my point: You always have to account for your fellow idiots on the road. The difference between an accident and a narrow miss is in HOW you account for them.

I am done with this thread. Everyone drive safe and SLOW DOWN. It is pissing rain today.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:10 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I can tell you that the drunk driver who hit me at 120 mph could not have been avoided. I did all I could in the seconds he gave me. He got to walk away and I was ****ed for life.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for power slide (not on purpose)