Pulled over by CHP and recieved a State Ref. ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
where do you plan on getting checked at?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
did the CHP that pulled you over notice your downpipe?

oh yeah. i suggest you don't go to Las Positas Ref Station as well. the reason the guy gave me for my boost gauge was that it didn't have a CARB sticker. nothing involving emissions at all.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
wow i'm not sure if you would pass with a turbo inlet. I went in with a black silicone one and put electrical tape over the logo when I had my ref visit.
the boost gauge you can leave in your car except you have to disconnect it where it is tapped into the vacuum lines.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Car Info: 20psi Daily!
Originally Posted by A.V.E.
i ended up going to evergreen in san jose and they were much better there. the tech was super nice and started small talk with me while inspecting the car. ive heard a lot of good reviews on the alameda ref station too.
i went to the evergreen one as well. when i was trying to find the place, i asked an evergreen student where it was at, and he told me to try to get the white guy to inspect my car intead of the black guy because he was meaner.. so yeah haha
Old 04-18-2009, 10:44 PM

Car Info: bici putas
Originally Posted by KrAzYkld

oh yeah. i suggest you don't go to Las Positas Ref Station as well. the reason the guy gave me for my boost gauge was that it didn't have a CARB sticker. nothing involving emissions at all.
Well, to defend the ref that runs the Las Positas station, I am in the process of getting my motor swap sticker and he's been really reasonable. Just make sure you respect his authority and back up all your claims with solid facts; push it and yeah I could see him failing a car for a boost gauge just to flex.

Remember this guy is dealing with disgruntled people every tuesday and thursday, every week.

Las Positas is cool in my book.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
Originally Posted by imHELLAslow
i went to the evergreen one as well. when i was trying to find the place, i asked an evergreen student where it was at, and he told me to try to get the white guy to inspect my car intead of the black guy because he was meaner.. so yeah haha
yea i had a white guy with glasses, super chill guy.

Chris, you passed with gauges and not the inlet hose?? wow, kinna like my story but the other way around hah
Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 PM

Car Info: STI 2006 White Stage 666
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Ahh, I have a Defi 60mm boost gauge. I guess I have to hope for that one to pass too? And the inlet.
When I went the REF disqualified me for a boost gauge that was not even connected. His reasoning was that since it could be potentially reconnected it could be illegal because it hooks into an emissions control system. These f@gs look for anything and everything they can.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:38 AM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
I dont know how many times I have told everyone to watch out in the i80 area. I travel it everyday. my car is bone stock now. Kinda **** me off 5k in parts laying in the garage.. But let me know when you all want to fight this.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:39 AM

Car Info: A slow STi
Originally Posted by KrAzYkld

The CHP didn't see the downpipe because I had a turbo heat shield on, but I'm changing my whole exhaust system back to stock anyway.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:39 AM

I'm going to a Solano county to get reffed. My cousin said he knows the ref., so he's going to call the ref. guy for me and inform the ref. about me going to get checked one day.

Maybe I might get lucky, maybe I wont.

But it doesn't hurt to try. Not like I will die or something, ha.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by I<3subie
I dont know how many times I have told everyone to watch out in the i80 area. I travel it everyday. my car is bone stock now. Kinda **** me off 5k in parts laying in the garage.. But let me know when you all want to fight this.
I'm well aware of I-80 and I'm sure everyone is. For me, I don't pay attention 100% of the time to the side lanes.

I got pulled over just when I was changing the discs in my CD player (bad timing), what are the odds, right?

I am careful when I see a CHP, I always hold down the clutch when I pass by them or when they pass me so they wont hear my exhaust.

Last edited by Not So Fast; 04-19-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 AM

Car Info: bici putas
SEMA class action lawsuit is really needed here. hearing about the boost gauge fails are ****ing retarded. If its a passive part of a closed system, especially pre-combustion chamber, it will have ZERO effect on tailpipe emmisions.

Furthermore engines with high VE (turboed) can get better power, better fuel economy, while keeping within CO NOx requirements. A boost gauge is part of that equation the same as a tachometer is to any engine.

waaaaaaa CA can be a dirty snailtrail sometimes.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM

Car Info: .
The boost gauge is BS, but the entire CARB exemption thing is extortion. It should be based on tailpipe emission standards, not how much money an aftermarket parts company can pump into CARBs bank account to get a BS exemption number.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Hmmm, I see so my best bet is to take out my boost gauge? Do I take out the wires as well?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
I want them to fail the oem lameco gauge. Lol

Quick Reply: Pulled over by CHP and recieved a State Ref. ticket