Pismo Beach trip on 4/24

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 07:54 PM

Car Info: 2003 TS Wagon
Pismo Beach trip on 4/24

When I posted the pics of my wife's Suby at Pismo Beach, a couple people wanted me to post on BAIC when planned my next trip.

I'm going April 23 - 25. I'll be taking the wife & kids and we'll be camping right on the beach. We probably wont be taking her Suby. I dropped a "new" (read: slightly less old) motor in my '73 F100 4wd, and if I get it running, I'd like to see what it will do in the dunes.

If you have a truck and want to go 4wheeling or just take the Suby and get some shots 4wheel-drifting it on the beach, let me know!

Ben
Old 04-05-2004, 08:51 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
i "might" be able to come down on the 25th. if anyone else wants to go, post in this thread and we can set up a caravan from the bay area. i'm always down for a good ROAD TRIP!!!

can't make it the 24th cause i have a damn wedding to attend. argh.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:39 PM

Car Info: '02 Subaru Impreza WRX
I might head down there that weekend. Would be cool to have some fun down there.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:48 PM

I'd offer to use my 4wd to make sure everyone got on and off the beach okay, but the Suby rocks in the sand. Last time, there was Civic stuck in the wet stuff watching me spin brodies 100 yards back in the soft stuff. Composed just right, it would have made a nice picture.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:05 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
damn if I had some mud flaps I'd be all about it. I just don't like the vision I get of sand blasting my paint.

But I'm down in pismo every now and again so I'll have to go out sometime. How crazy would it be to have 20 subs out in the sand.

Anyone that goes should go down town and get tattoo'd at mothership tattoo.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally posted by OneManArmy
damn if I had some mud flaps I'd be all about it. I just don't like the vision I get of sand blasting my paint.

But I'm down in pismo every now and again so I'll have to go out sometime. How crazy would it be to have 20 subs out in the sand.

Anyone that goes should go down town and get tattoo'd at mothership tattoo.
Just go to Pepboys and buy some cheap *** ones to put on for just that time. Then take em off when you are done playing. lol
Old 04-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
I hate not having weekends off....like evar...
Old 04-06-2004, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB WRX
I use to go to Pismo all the time. I love it there. Not sure what i'll be doing that date but for sure am going to try and make it down there.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:30 PM

Car Info: Silver WRX Wagon
I go to Pismo a-lot, but I've never taken the ride off the paved road. Do you guys have any info about where to take it onto the sand? Good spots? I'm also kind of uninformed, and would like to know if it's legal...
Old 04-06-2004, 01:05 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
Not my picture, but funny.

Anyway, I think that I would like to go down to that area. i went to the Hollister Hills SVRA with my Subaru and didn't run into any problems. I just want to know what to stay away from and what is Subaru-capable terrain out there. I don't think that I will be off playing in the dunes, but the areas near the beach should be hard enough to not run into problems. Any additional info on this?
Attached Thumbnails Pismo Beach trip on 4/24-subarusand.jpg  
Old 04-06-2004, 01:24 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally posted by santino
I go to Pismo a-lot, but I've never taken the ride off the paved road. Do you guys have any info about where to take it onto the sand? Good spots? I'm also kind of uninformed, and would like to know if it's legal...

pismo beach SVRA, now renamed to oceano dunes SVRA is the only place in kaifornia to drive onto the beach, IIRC.

cost about $4 to play for a day or $6 to camp overnight, IIRC. this was about 4 years ago.

careful, it's 15 MPH on the beach. and they will TICKET people. on the dunes though is no limit...

have someone to pull your *** out or it's like $150 to get a tow truck. and it is ILLEGAL to offer help someone there when they are stuck since the tow trucks are contracted there.

if someone ASKS for help, that is okay... but to offer help... go figure.

i think you still need a big orange flag on your vehicle so get one of those.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:00 PM

careful, it's 15 MPH on the beach. and they will TICKET people
You’re right, they do enforce a 15MPH speed limit on the beach. Naturally, on busy weekends there are lots of Forest Rangers and on slow weekends there are not. Use common sense. Near camps, go 15MPH. If you get toward the end of the beach and there are no Rangers, let'r rip!

i think you still need a big orange flag
I doubt anyone will take their Suby far enough in the dunes that they will need a flag. If you think you might, then you need a small flag (red or orange preferred, but not enforced) on an 8' whip (they sell 'em in town). You’ll also need a spot on your car to mount it.

and it is ILLEGAL to offer help
I offer to pull people out all the time and have never been harassed by the Rangers. I know the tow-guys make their living at it, but they tend to be jerks. Price goes up the deeper you’re stuck or more desperate you are.

I'll have my 4wd and I'll give you guys my cell # incase you get stuck coming on or off the beach.

If you're running a tire that has some sidewall to it, you can air down a few psi to get some floatation. You don't want to be so low that you blow a bead (although, if you do, we can easily re-seat it).

Momentum is key when driving in the sand. Don't stop on an uphill and expect to be able to take off again. Try to stop on slight down grade or flat surface.

I don't think that I will be off playing in the dunes, but the areas near the beach should be hard enough to not run into problems. Any additional info on this?
With the right tires, the right driver and choosing the right path, you could take a WRX all the way to back fence. You'd need a M+S like on the TS wagon or a rally tire. I'm sure I could take my wife's stock TS wagon all the way to the back fence. On the other hand, a low profile tire would be much more fun for sliding on the beach.

Do you guys have any info about where to take it onto the sand? Good spots?
I think we'll stay mostly on the beach and maybe 100 yards into the softer stuff. There is a trail called "Sand Highway" that is pretty flat and wanders out to the back. If anyone wants to try it, I'll follow them out with the truck (you'll need a flag).

I'll probably camp near Mile Marker #4.

I'm also kind of uninformed, and would like to know if it's legal...
Check out the map at: http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=1208

There is a beach entrance at Grand Ave. and one at Pier Ave. The part of the beach in yellow (on the map) is treated like a normal street. You must have a licensed vehicle and you must be a licensed driver.

Then at marker #2, where it turns light gray, anyone can drive, but the vehicle must have a license plate or OHV sticker. You can also camp anywhere in the light gray.

*notice that at marker #1 the Arroyo Grande Creek dumps into the Ocean. Sometimes that's an issue, sometimes it's not. Usually at low tide, there is little (and inch or two) or no stream crossing.

Also, STAY OUT OF THE OCEAN. It looks cool on the Ford commericals, but the salt water is hell on electrical and sheet metal. There is a presure washer in town I usually hit on my way home.

Sorry I'm so long winded.

Quick Reply: Pismo Beach trip on 4/24