Partial credit for... 4th graders?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:17 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Younger kids don't understand the intrinsic value of learning, and so we reward them for any step in the right direction. Rewarding good work (albeit still wrong in this case) is a better teaching method than punishing wrong work. Obviously as students get older there becomes more of a focus on generating the single, correct answer, but to think that there is no value in rewarding younger kids for partially-correct work is foolish.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by iLoqin
Why wouldn't you be concerned? We're babying our future, patting them on the back saying it's ok, maybe next time... Again, a matriarch nation won't be the leader of the pack. It's the assertive ones who grab the opportunity, not the ones that keep getting it wrong saying next time.

Competition is what makes people strive to be better. That is what makes a country great, not picking up the lackies from behind. The more lackies we have, the more murderers, robbers, rapists, drug dealers we have in the future. The strive to be smart is falling off IMO.
I agree with this - I too think that our nation has become too complacent and comfortable with the idea of mediocrity. Even during high school, many of my non-Asian friends would tell me that their parents were totally fine with them getting C's, because that meant they were "average." IMO, at least in Asian culture, getting a C is far from okay -- you might as well have failed. The mentality is pretty much "A" or bust, and personally, I don't see anything wrong with this type of thinking.

Granted, my parents were recent immigrants, and had not even completed the equivalent of a high school education back in Korea. Nevertheless, that definitely did not stop them from pushing my brother and I to get no less than a bachelor's degree. Basically, not going to college was not an option. Was this approach hypocritical in the sense that it was "do as I say, not as I do"? Maybe, but I definitely do not fault them for it. They knew that a solid education was the closest thing to a "guarantee" that we'd be alright in the future.

So yes, treating effort as if it were synonymous with results is not a good idea. Sure, kids may not understand the "intrinsic value of learning" at that age, but guess what? Kids also don't understand a whole lot of other things at that age either. I think it's up to the parents and teachers to make that decision for them, precisely because kids won't/can't understand and make that decision for themselves.
________
SHIP SALE

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
Originally Posted by kyoung05
I agree with this - I too think that our nation has become too complacent and comfortable with the idea of mediocrity. Even during high school, many of my non-Asian friends would tell me that their parents were totally fine with them getting C's, because that meant they were "average." IMO, at least in Asian culture, getting a C is far from okay -- you might as well have failed. The mentality is pretty much "A" or bust, and personally, I don't see anything wrong with this type of thinking.

Granted, my parents were recent immigrants, and had not even completed the equivalent of a high school education back in Korea. Nevertheless, that definitely did not stop them from pushing my brother and I to get no less than a bachelor's degree. Basically, not going to college was not an option. Was this approach hypocritical in the sense that it was "do as I say, not as I do"? Maybe, but I definitely do not fault them for it. They knew that a solid education was the closest thing to a "guarantee" that we'd be alright in the future.

So yes, treating effort as if it were synonymous with results is not a good idea. Sure, kids may not understand the "intrinsic value of learning" at that age, but guess what? Kids also don't understand a whole lot of other things at that age either. I think it's up to the parents and teachers to make that decision for them, precisely because kids won't/can't understand and make that decision for themselves.
i wouldnt make too many generalizations. I went to public school, i'm not asian, doin alright. even with all the 'C's on my highschool report card.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by rugmonkey
i wouldnt make too many generalizations. I went to public school, i'm not asian, doin alright. even with all the 'C's on my highschool report card.
I never said anything negative about public schools - hell, I also went to public schools up to and including undergrad, and have generally nothing but good things to say about them. I also never intended to imply that all non-Asians only get C's, or what have you.

What I did take issue with was the fact that even back then, for some parents, it was totally okay/acceptable for their kids to bring home C's on their report card. Now, there's nothing "wrong" with getting a C per se - hell, in college, I'd have been happy to have gotten a C in some of my classes. However, I don't think it's right for parents to not expect better from their kids. If you expect your kid to get an A, and he only gets a C, then you're disappointed, but you take the proper steps (i.e. private tutoring/cutting out non-academic activities/whatever) to make sure it doesn't happen again. But, if you only EXPECT you're kid to get a C, then you're really not doing that kid any favors. I doubt anyone who is successful in life did so by striving to be mediocre.

My point was that, like the OP, I don't think children should be rewarded for effort in the same way they are for obtaining results. Trying to get the correct answer and actually getting it are two very different things. This whole "A for effort" mentality is nonsense.
________
Bbw video

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Not to be sexist, but our country is still moving in the direction of a Baby Mother Nurture / Matriachic "Its OK if you screw up, but as long as you tried" country.
tell me more about this Baby Mother Nurture - sounds sexy.

Did you mean: Matriarchy/Matriarchal

sorry, no partial credit for you . after all, this is what you are advocating, no?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Yin

What's worse is the amount of POLITICS in public schools. A school based on mere academics would be suitable, but the amount of teachers that rave (even I as a student think back) is so democratic is insane. (so far from the districts I've been in)
Explain. I didn't know democratic raving, academics, and politics went hand in hand.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Yin

We are in a place where we want things done perfectly. The oil spill is almost 99.9% safe, and is considered safe for the amount of time the United States has been drilling and moving oil around.
source?

also, i'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to communicate with this statement. are you trying to say that since the oil spill is not perfectly done, it's OK because it's perfectly safe anyway, even though it's been referred to and touted as the worst environmental disaster in U.S. history?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Car Info: 1988 Carrera & 2013 Carrera S
I sub k-12, juvenile hall, adult school, special ED.

It's pretty bad how many reiterated course taught in middle school still exists in high school, and so on and so forth into college. It makes sense that some answers, like calculus answers, or even as Darkonion pointed out, correct aim, just wrong numbers, are for partial credit.

But when 2+2=5 and you get 50%, that isn't letting the school know they are proficient enough to move onto the next grade level. These are the standards these tests are testing for.

Why wouldn't you be concerned? We're babying our future, patting them on the back saying it's ok, maybe next time... Again, a matriarch nation won't be the leader of the pack. It's the assertive ones who grab the opportunity, not the ones that keep getting it wrong saying next time.

Competition is what makes people strive to be better. That is what makes a country great, not picking up the lackies from behind. The more lackies we have, the more murderers, robbers, rapists, drug dealers we have in the future. The strive to be smart is falling off IMO.

What's worse is the amount of POLITICS in public schools. A school based on mere academics would be suitable, but the amount of teachers that rave (even I as a student think back) is so democratic is insane. (so far from the districts I've been in)
Just curious, what is your educational background?