Parking in Davis (near UC Davis)???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 04:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
ummm hmmm maybe not.. I could have swarn though.. I can't find it.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
sireatalot: could you post the link then? - sorry, i couldn't find it w/ search - I'm to nubtastic i guess =P

Did find something about a garage for doing work on cars though... maybe your getting them confused?

Last edited by kravdra; 04-28-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:59 PM
VIP Member

It's really cool to live at the dorms!! But don't get a meal ticket that has TOO much in it because you'll end up going out to eat and stuff and you're going to end up getting a ton of pizza hut personal pan pizzas towards the end of the school year because you got too many meals haha. (that's what happened to me) (Segundo is a nice dorm area to live in. It's not tooooo close to Tercero (That's where all the cows are) so it doesn't smell bad at night. Ooh.. and it's really close to the rec hall and you can go exercise there and the roller hockey rink. And also, it's close to Russel Ave and you can take the Unitran over to the Safeway and get some mexican food from ummm I forgot the name, but they have cool drinking glasses that you can easily steal and have for the next year when you move into your apartment
Old 04-28-2005, 05:06 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kravdra
sireatalot: could you post the link then? - sorry, i couldn't find it w/ search - I'm to nubtastic i guess =P

Did find something about a garage for doing work on cars though... maybe your getting them confused?

nah... it's not that one haha there was this guy who was concerned about if he should leave his car at home and let his sister drive it, or take it to davis with him.. but the only problem with that was that he heard that there was REALLY low available spaces. so yeah.. I guess your thread just reminded me of that. haahaa
Old 04-28-2005, 06:01 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Hey Brian.

Glad to hear you're interested in FSAE. I actually started up the thing way back when...well not quite...I got the advisors in on it, grouped some people together...then let them out to dry as I went to go work for HP. But they ended up doing pretty well. You should really check out Futurecar/FutureTruck though...that's where are the cool **** is. It's not a race car, but the technology you get to play with is pretty frickin' cool. Plus you'll make LOTS of contacts in the Auto industry. Of the group of people that were working on the program in the late 90's, most of them have moved on to work with GM Research, Epri, Honda, Daimler Chrysler Research, etc...solely through contacts made while working on Futurecar. Just something to consider. FSAE is a really cool project...but it really is seen as just that--a school project. Whereas Futurecar/Futuretruck has DOE, DOD, GM, Ford, and DARPA backing...making it almost like a research company.

http://www.team-fate.net/

Oh...and about your car. Leave it at home. Not worth the hassle. There is absolutely NO parking anywhere close to the dorms. If you try, you WILL be ticketed...davis cops (especially the short midget ones) are A-holes! Just bring a beater bike.

Last edited by stevenkhau; 04-28-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
Hmm... a lot of why i wanted to work on the FSAE car was actually to get into cars more. I'll have to seriously look into Futercar then. I'v been wondering this for a while, and maybe you would know, are there any car engineering type jobs in CA? - I know the big companies are all out of country, or in Michigan, but do they have offices in CA or anything like that?

Hehe, despite everyone telling me not to take my car, I still want to, cars are awesome things, and I can't imagine bein w/o one for a year
Old 04-28-2005, 07:25 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Hey we did have a discussion about car parking at davis a few weeks back, the thread was started by boosti...or i forget his handle, but he is also attending davis next year. I am also going to davis next year studying mechanical engineering so maybe we'll have the same classes.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:14 PM

make the best out of college. i graduated from UCD last year and i miss it. S**T, i got work everyday now.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:28 AM
NZO

Car Info: 996 Turbo
Welcome to cow town.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:30 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX Sedan MBP/17X7.5 SSR Comps/225 Kumho MX
"Oh...and about your car. Leave it at home. Not worth the hassle. There is absolutely NO parking anywhere close to the dorms. If you try, you WILL be ticketed...davis cops (especially the short midget ones) are A-holes! Just bring a beater bike."
stevenkhau

lol!!! yeah, all of the Davis high-schoolers call him "minicop." Don't mess with him or give him attitude, he's dynamite. My son saw minicop take down a combative suspective that was twice the guy's size and it wasn't pretty. He can bend you up pretty bad. He's a City of Davis cop... who are a fine (but attentive) bunch.

I went to UCD and stayed. Yes, parking close to campus gets expensive. First year in the dorms is great, but after that most students move further out into town to apartments or houses where expenses are down. Bikes or Unitrans are the best way to get to classes, and often the fastest.

No kidding... last friday I spent 10 minutes driving across town and made a count. I saw 8 WRXs and 1 STi. Most of the rexes were sedans. Hondas and Subies rule Davis and seem to be everywhere.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:02 AM
VIP Member

I'm heading up to Davis this Saturday (Tomorrow). Hopefully I'll see some peeps there hehe. I'll be driving my WRB sedan. Going there for a site inspection.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:53 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by kravdra
Hmm... a lot of why i wanted to work on the FSAE car was actually to get into cars more. I'll have to seriously look into Futercar then. I'v been wondering this for a while, and maybe you would know, are there any car engineering type jobs in CA? - I know the big companies are all out of country, or in Michigan, but do they have offices in CA or anything like that?

Hehe, despite everyone telling me not to take my car, I still want to, cars are awesome things, and I can't imagine bein w/o one for a year

There are LOTS of companies in California that don't actually manufacture cars, but do research and manufacture the technology that goes the latest and greatest automotive features. Controls systems are big here in Cali...especially SoCal.

A small warning though...if you think that working for a car company is about boring out cylinders or improving the Wankel...well, you're not gonna get much of that here or elsewhere for that matter. A lot of that research and technology has already been done and proven...it's a matter of cost to implement it.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
There is still a lot of R&D out there, but it is mostly in the auto racing industry. That technology eventually filters down to our daily drivers after the cost drops and all the bugs have been worked out by the "little guys". Working for a major automotive manufacturer could mean that you will be designing a door lock here and a trunk latch there for several years before you actually get into something worthwhile.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:09 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
parking does suck and I also heard that freshmen can no longer bring their cars. I think my year was the last freshman class who could . I know everyone says don't bring your car, but I honestly would have hated it w/o my car. As you said, skiing, road trips, weekend trips out of davis... all a must for a complete college experience IMO. Parking will certainly be an issue, but if you park it in some residential area, you might be able to get away with it. It just won't be too close to campus. Hell you can park it near my house if you get desperate... I won't call the cops .
Old 04-29-2005, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
just park at the MU.
6 dollars a day X 7 days a week X 4 weeks in a month X 12 monthes, thats just 2016.00.
not too shabby

Quick Reply: Parking in Davis (near UC Davis)???