OT: New/Used Guns Online?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
OT: New/Used Guns Online?

I know some of you guys on here are really in to firearms *caugh*brucelee*caugh* and was hoping you could help me out a bit. I am looking to buy a firearm, preferable a rifle, and was wondering if anyone knew some good places to look. I've noticed the best prices are on the internet, but then I have to go through the headache of having them sent to an FFL dealer. So I'm open to both online dealers and local armories. I'm primarily looking at suplus military rifles (ie California legal SKSs, Mousers, and Mosin Nagants) and am really looking for Very Good/Excelent conditon. I know I can buy a local Big 5 Mosin Nagant for like $80 bucks, but they are crap. I'm looking to spend something in the max. $250-$300 range but would prefer less. Thanks for the help guys.

-Chris
Old 07-21-2004, 08:50 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
You should have good luck at a gun show for the type of stuff you are looking for. I believe you have to present to purchase firearms, ie no on-line. If you do go to a gun show. Take someone who knows how to check it out for you because guys will try and pull a fast one over on you.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:55 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HomerJay
You should have good luck at a gun show for the type of stuff you are looking for. I believe you have to present to purchase firearms, ie no on-line. If you do go to a gun show. Take someone who knows how to check it out for you because guys will try and pull a fast one over on you.
That is one of the paths I intend on persuing. AS far as purchasing online is concerned, it is legal. But, you have to have the firearm shipped to an FFL (Federal fireams liscensed) dealer, who is then authorised to run your background check. The problem with this process is that the dealer is like to chrge you $30+ just to have the gun shipped there, PLUS the $20-$25 for the background check. It's something I'm willing to do if the online dealer has good enough deals. Thanks for the input though, HomerJ. Any other iput out there? Anyone know of upcoming gun shows?

-Chris
Old 07-21-2004, 09:19 PM

Car Info: 2004 San Remo Red WRX
If you want a Mosin Nagant, you can get a curio and relic license which will allow you to buy guns that are considered antiques with out going through a FFL dealer. My father has a C&R license and I got a Mosin Nagant M44 from an online dealer through my dad. You have to fill out some paperwork and send it and a fee to the Justice Dept and they send you the C&R license. For things like an SKS your kind of stuck going through an FFL dealer.

Good luck finding a primo shape Mosin. Mine was supposed to be in excellent shape. The wood is junk but the gun itself is in great shape, but thats what 5 pounds of cosmolin will do. The good thing is stocks are easy to come by. It's a great gun for $60. Very accurate but kicks like a mule.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:22 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Froride1
If you want a Mosin Nagant, you can get a curio and relic license which will allow you to buy guns that are considered antiques with out going through a FFL dealer. My father has a C&R license and I got a Mosin Nagant M44 from an online dealer through my dad. You have to fill out some paperwork and send it and a fee to the Justice Dept and they send you the C&R license. For things like an SKS your kind of stuck going through an FFL dealer.

Good luck finding a primo shape Mosin. Mine was supposed to be in excellent shape. The wood is junk but the gun itself is in great shape, but thats what 5 pounds of cosmolin will do. The good thing is stocks are easy to come by. It's a great gun for $60. Very accurate but kicks like a mule.
Yeah.. I'm already planning on a weekend of cleaning cosmoline. I have found a few "excelent/like new in rapper" M1944s for $100-$125. I am also considering a $60 one like you have, and then just restoring it. How much was the C&R fee? If it's more than $20 is would just be easier to have it sent to an FFL. I will have to look in to it though. Thanks Floride.

-Chris
Old 07-21-2004, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 2004 San Remo Red WRX
The fee is $30 for 2 years.

ATF website for info.

www.atf.gov/firearms/relics/

Form
www.atf.gov/forms/5000.htm#general
Old 07-21-2004, 09:50 PM
VIP Member

Thanks again Floride1. ANy other recommendations out there? Wheres BruceLee when you need him?

-Chris
Old 07-21-2004, 11:20 PM

Car Info: '01 GM6 Coupe Blue Ridge Pearl
www.gunsamerica.com
Old 07-22-2004, 03:16 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Anyone know of upcoming gun shows?

-Chris
you can thank the liberal politcians who had the good one in cow palace shut down.

as usual, the usage of FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) was enough for them to prevent the gun shows from happening...

2 places left now... one in vallejo and in san jose (tully road fairgrounds).

this place is where i buy my bulk reload ammo at the gun shows:

http://www.miwallcorp.com/schedule/2...bylocation.pdf

they still list cow palace...

read this thread on why the cow palace was closed down...

http://sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&...861057#7861057
Old 07-22-2004, 05:39 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
For sure Brucelee knows a bunch about SKSs, AKs, AKMs, AKSs, and M70s.

I'm a longtime gun owner in general, so I'll thow this to help:

I'm not sure what the value of these particular rifles is per grade, but personally, I'd stay clear of ordering used or "New-Old-Stock" guns online, unless it was a really expensive N.O.S. (New with no Warranty) gun, from a seller with a verified good rating, and the option being able to return it (i.e. escrow service) if it wasn't right.

I treat Gun purchases very seriously, so I would always want to personally inspect any N.O.S. or used firarm, in addition to having my gunsmith fully inspect it well, prior to completing the purchase. If you're going to find a gun to buy at a Gun Show, bring a knowledgable friend or ask a gunsmith/expert at the Show that you trust, and either follow their advice or just trust your gut instinct.

I trusted my gut instinct, to buy my German-made Walther P99 .40 S&W semi-automatic pistol, right before Smith & Wesson started building the slides and barrels, and making it look ugly on the current guns.

If you can get a really nice used gun, but it needs a new stock, I would get the stock refinished/replaced anytime.

When ordering a new firearm through a good local gun dealer, they will always ensure when it arrives that your firearm is proper, and if not, will exchange it for another.

Good Bay Area Gun Dealers (That I've worked with

Canyon Sports
887 Howe Rd
Martinez, CA 94553
(925) 229-4867

The Traders
685 E 14th St
San Leandro, CA 94577
(510) 569-0555

Reed's Sport Shop
3020 Alum Rock Ave
San Jose, CA 95127
(408) 258-2666

This guy is one of the rangemasters at a range in East Concord/Bay Point that I shoot at. He seemed pretty sharp about guns and ammo in general, from shooting with him a few times.

Mike LaPierre
Sierra Gunsmith Services
3087 N Main St
Walnut Creek, CA 94597
(925) 939-3646

Good luck with your purchase!

David
Old 07-22-2004, 06:06 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
Ebay for guns: www.gunbroker.com

They will ship to a shop local to you that holds a FFL. The shop will charge you a small fee but you have to call them and find out what it is, it varys.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:35 PM
VIP Member

Thanks for the input guys. I will definatly give each of those gun shops a call Daveed. The only reason I'm even considereing buying any gun sight-unseen is because I'm only looking for a REALLY cheap rifle to beat the crap out of, and try my hand at pig hunting for the first time. Belive me, I would never buy a new rifle without seeing it first.

-Chris
Old 07-22-2004, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
If you're new to surplus rifles i'll be more than happy to help you, Chris.

If i were you i'd look for an original Lee Enfield No.5 Jungle Carbine and maybe fix it up a little with a good hot blue and what not.

If you need any help PM me. I'll look/shop around for you!

Gibbs Rifle makes a damn good enfield remake http://www.gibbsrifle.com/sport.html

And in .308 win instead of .303 British. at a reasonable price... you'll have to call them though.

Last edited by Salty; 07-22-2004 at 12:49 PM.