older newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 06:58 PM

older newbie

Hi,

I'm selling my muscle car and getting a used WRX. I'm looking for a kind soul to show me the ropes. I live in Sebastopol and work in Santa Rosa. I'm learning a lot on this site and also on http://www.clubwrx.net/
I'd like to meet a local WRX owner who wouldn't mind giving me a ride and teaching me a few things about these cars.

I am older (YOB '57), an engineer and a fine art painter.
See my work here http://www.artactiveonline.com/Art/O...p?ArtistID=116
I think you can PM on this site.
Okay thanks - have a great weekend - Denny
Old 07-08-2005, 07:03 PM

im free next week if you wanna go for a ride

:devil:

im in petaluma, maybe roll out hwy 1 or something, still havn'et gone out there since i have had my cage in

Last edited by Daredevil; 07-08-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:04 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Thumbs up

Welcome to the club,Denny !
I'm sure there may be someone in your area that might help.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
Welcome...

what kind of engineer?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:18 PM

OK thanks Daredevil I will pm you.

I'm a Marine Engineer grad '84 from Cal Maritime in Vallejo. I used to be the Chief on the Pt. Lobos and then the Western Flyer for the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Instutute down in Moss Landing. Now I'm Sales App Eng for Air Monitor - we manufacture and sell airflow measurement instruments for HVAC, Process and Power applications. Sounds impressive and boring in one breath!

I think I'd rather paint and drive a fast car!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:30 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
Hello
Old 07-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
welcome to the board. hope you get everything you need to get out of here.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
welcome to i-club denny. good to see more technical professionals on the boards. there is much suby knowledge in the baic, young protege.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
I live in Napa and I think there are quite a few others that live in the north bay. What made you decide to buy a wrx?
Old 07-09-2005, 12:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Originally Posted by sendin
I think I'd rather paint and drive a fast car!
That makes 2 of us.

And welcome to North Bay, you should roll down to LIC one Thursday night. We have meets almost every week. I'm sure there'd be plenty there that would take ya for a spin. Daredevil makes a good driver, just dont ever ask him to navigate for ya. :P

Here's the link for the North Bay meets: https://www.i-club.com/forums/meetings-events-donuts-91/north-bay-thursday-night-meet-53997/
Old 07-09-2005, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by huck
. Daredevil makes a good driver, just dont ever ask him to navigate for ya. :P

Here's the link for the North Bay meets: https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53997

too true :P
Old 07-09-2005, 01:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Originally Posted by Daredevil
too true :P
I second that motion
Old 07-09-2005, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the welcomes.

Since I am selling the GTX I don't want to get just another car. I want something in the performance category. I will be missing that GTX - specifically the 440 and the 300+HP at the wheels. I won't be missing the 9 miles per gallon! State gov has got it in for the old muscle cars too. Don't want that fight.

The GTX is a head turner and I got pulled over once even though it is only half as loud as the average Harley in this area. The WRX is a four door and looks like an easy modern sleeper. An STi without its huge "arrest me" wing would be almost perfect in some ways, but I don't think I need or want that much car.

Sometimes I get too much attention from public servants and sometimes there are younger drivers wanting to race when I'm out in the GTX, but otherwise a lot of nice compliments and thumbs up. I think I am just ready for a change.

I used to have a fixed up 510 in the '80s. It was close, but not that close to a WRX. Many of the driving skills are the same. Yikes - that was 20 yrs ago!

I test drove an EVO up in Santa Rosa and it almost doesn't make sense for the street, i.e., in my routine I'd only be driving to its capability about 2% of the time. So far I'm not convinced an extra $10K for 2% makes any sense, but who knows - I keep looking at the STi's!

There are other reasons I like the WRX - one is that it is a Subaru. Another is that it appears to kept on the simple side without a lot of fluff. Even though it looks like almost all the other econo boxes, once you get used to looking at them they start having a little distinction - its subtle - but I like it. Even the bug-eye has appeal I think.

Anyway - this is long enough. Right now a 2002 or 2003 low miles wagon with no mods or maybe just a few mods would work for me. Still much to learn. Denny
Old 07-09-2005, 07:37 AM

Car Info: 1986 Toyota Mr2, 2002 Subaru WRX wagon
denny, wagons are the way to go. cops never hastle me or my friend down her in the south bay. and that's saying something if you know about milpitas police. welcome to the family and good luck in your search for turbo boxer bliss.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by 4aghumper
denny, wagons are the way to go. cops never hastle me or my friend down her in the south bay. and that's saying something if you know about milpitas police. welcome to the family and good luck in your search for turbo boxer bliss.
ditto. the whole reason i got the wagon was for the sleeper factor. people who arent familiar with the wrx always think the wagon is just spec'd differently, even chassis. also, i bike, camp, ski, and play other sports so the extra volume definitely comes in handy. plus, the extra ~80lbs of weight for the wagon is in the rear of the car so it balances it out more.

Quick Reply: older newbie