Okay! I weak.... I'm going to start building my AR

Old 11-09-2009, 08:20 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
Okay! I weak.... I'm going to start building my AR

*edit..... I'M DONE!!

Name:  IMG_0161.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  100.9 KB

Hello fellow gun people. so! i'm going to start building my AR. not going to go for anything fancy, just something for me to go to the range from time to time with and to take care of business when z day comes. Can you guys point me to places to pick up parts and good deals? Some tips maybe? I'm planing to build this over a long span of time, as i slowly buy parts from here and there. I'm going to start with the lower... just so i have the "gun" in the government's eyes and i won't get locked out if there was to ever be a ban on ARs.

I know what is needed and how everything goes together, but just incase... let me know if i'm missing something....
Lower Parts:
Stripped lower (i'ma try and go for Stag. but let me know if theres something else i should look into)
Single stage lower kit (Stag or RRA... should i be picky about this?)
Bullet button to make it CA legal
Stock and buffer tube with spring and buffer piston

Upper Parts (I might just get a complete upper... but we'll see):
Stripped Upper (should i be picky?)
Bolt and carrier (i'm thinking CCMG or RRA)
Charging handle
Hand guard
Barrel
Gas tube

Last edited by RU-X; 04-05-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Check out Irvington arms in fremont, they have fully assembled Stag and CMMG ARs for only 1050 out the door.

If you want to build one i recomend keeping your upper and lower same brand so you dont have mismatched colors.

Stag and CMMG are good for the cheaper brands. If you want something fancy go Noveske, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, Larue, just to name a few.

I recomend getting the upper as a whole. I think Stag is pretty solid, they offer complete rifles for around 1000.

Also check out the calguns.net classifieds, i see complete ARs going for as low as 800. someone elses loss is your gain.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
oh... and here i thought u were talkin about me again... fail. good luck on the build tho/
Old 11-09-2009, 11:17 PM

Car Info: 07 legacy
remember AR, my ar has your name on it
Old 11-09-2009, 11:18 PM

Car Info: Nadda
haha, gettin ready for the zombies i see!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:18 PM

and you dont need to worry about the government knowing about your complete AR. Theres no difference between buying a complete one or just a lower, the lower is all the DOJ sees. All that matters is that you make sure you got that bullet button installed and your magazines dont take more then 10 rounds.

No reason to go custom on the upper/lower, its easier to just get a complete rifle and then add custom parts like get a magpul stock, new rail gaurds, pistol grip, forward grip, eotech, etc.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 PM

the lowers are pretty much all the same, it basically comes down to what design you prefer (stag = deer, cmmg = rifle, noveske = cool looking cross thing) and how much money you are willing to spend. Stag and CMMG can be had for around 100 for a lower, a BCM or Larue around 250+, a magpul lower costs 1000!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by slugrx
Check out Irvington arms in fremont, they have fully assembled Stag and CMMG ARs for only 1050 out the door.

If you want to build one i recomend keeping your upper and lower same brand so you dont have mismatched colors.

Stag and CMMG are good for the cheaper brands. If you want something fancy go Noveske, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, Larue, just to name a few.

I recomend getting the upper as a whole. I think Stag is pretty solid, they offer complete rifles for around 1000.

Also check out the calguns.net classifieds, i see complete ARs going for as low as 800. someone elses loss is your gain.
thanks for the color tip! i'll do that. and thanks for recommending the idea of buying a complete gun... but i rather build and buy parts every other month or so... so i don't feel like i jsut spent 1000. makes me feel less guilty =D
Old 11-09-2009, 11:39 PM

it's not that i care about the goverment knowing that i have an AR or the lower. i just want it so that if it does get ban... i don't get locked out without having one. gotta try and stay one step ahead!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by slugrx

going off this stuff. CMMG is a good brand and there stuff is more affordable, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they are cheap. Stuff like Delton is for sure cheaper and lower quality. CMMG I have found to be good quality at good prices. I currently have two cmmg lowers and a cmmg 16" medcon upper. On top of higher quality ones, look at LMT as well.

With uppers, one downside to Stag is that they don't offer options in different twist rates on the barrels. They all seem to be 1:9 from what I have seen, which doesn't work to well if you want to shoot any heavier grain ammo.

it is easier to buy a complete upper but with some wait times if you want something specific, it can be easier to build your own.

one thing with building an AR15 is that there are 1000 different ways to build it. just look around for what you are looking for. A great resource is calguns.net. Check it out.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 PM

i'm seeing online that some places have the stag lower for 100 bucks.... is there anywhere around the bay area were i can get that deal? it would be nice to save 90 bucks.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 PM

ish, were you at gst today? 2000 4runner, lifted with calguns.net sticker on the back? and by cheap, i meant price wise, not quality sorry for the confusion on that
Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 PM

^^^ no?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 PM

didnt see you posted before i posted my post..if that made sense, sorry to clutter the thread haa
Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Get a built upper. Trust me. You don't have have the tools to build an upper PROPERLY.

Where as the lower is simple. Most I needed was the carbine wrench to tighten the big nut to hold the collapable stock. Ok. Maybe a vise-grip to "press" in a couple of the roll pins. I bought punches but didn't end up using them.

I guess it also helped I had a built lower to compare.

Afterwards, slapped on one of the uppers I had bought. Functioned tested everything inlcuding dry firing with snap caps.

All that was left was a trip to the range.

Whammo jammo and had three lowers built. Now when I get off my lazy butt I'll finish with the rest of the lowers I bought during the panic buying days in late 2005 and early 2006 and then buy one of those pelican cases that holds like four M4s...

Hee hee...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Okay! I weak.... I'm going to start building my AR