The OFFICIAL Overhead "SUBARU" Shot from BAM XI (drumrollllllllll)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Four vs Two
Kinda wished we had spaced the letters out a little more too. Overall, it's awesome though!
The problem is keeping everything in the field of view and out of the fire lane. Not considering the distortion on the ends, I think the spacing is fine if we were able to do solid colored letters. IIRC, we only had about 6 more feet until the cars would have been blocked by the hangar on the right. 5 spaces increased by 2ft (50%) would have put the final U partial out of view. I think fixing the space between the S-U and R-U optically as well as solid colored letters will be the way to go next year.

I've hand-rendered pixel- and geometric-based fonts as well as mocked them up digitally. Creating a pixel-based font with 3D objects (80+ Subarus at that!) as well as shooting it from an angle is a learning experience. Not having been paid to do it (but rather paying to do it) I don't mind chalking it up as a learning experience either.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 08-12-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:02 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Always tough to do something new. I think it was a rad idea and it came out awesome!

Great work Matt.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX (RIP) // 2007 STi "OMGASTI"
Thank you Matt! I appreciate all the work you did to make this photo what it is. It was my first BAM and im glad I could be in the SUBARU
Old 08-12-2011, 06:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
The problem is keeping everything in the field of view and out of the fire lane. Not considering the distortion on the ends, I think the spacing is fine if we were able to do solid colored letters. IIRC, we only had about 6 more feet until the cars would have been blocked by the hangar on the right. 5 spaces increased by 2ft (50%) would have put the final U partial out of view. I think fixing the space between the S-U and R-U optically as well as solid colored letters will be the way to go next year.

I've hand-rendered pixel- and geometric-based fonts as well as mocked them up digitally. Creating a pixel-based font with 3D objects (80+ Subarus at that!) as well as shooting it from an angle is a learning experience. Not having been paid to do it (but rather paying to do it) I don't mind chalking it up as a learning experience either.
Great job Matt! Appreciate the work.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:11 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Great Pic.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:12 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Always tough to do something new. I think it was a rad idea and it came out awesome!

Great work Matt.
Originally Posted by Dans Rex
Thank you Matt! I appreciate all the work you did to make this photo what it is. It was my first BAM and im glad I could be in the SUBARU
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Great job Matt! Appreciate the work.
Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Great Pic.
thanks guys
Old 08-12-2011, 06:17 PM

Car Info: 03/05/06 WRX with some STI parts :- P
looks good!!! idk if it was said already kinda on my phone so its hard to read everyones posts but maybe if we do something like that again make each letter a different color car! s is all blue u is all black.. etc.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Subadubaru
looks good!!! idk if it was said already kinda on my phone so its hard to read everyones posts but maybe if we do something like that again make each letter a different color car! s is all blue u is all black.. etc.
Yeah, thats an idea for next year. Once planning is underway for BAMXII, if I decide to undertake this project again we'll have to pool our resources and see if we can get enough organizers together to make solid colored letters happen. Trust me, just getting the drivers to cooperate to do this was a PITA. It almost didn't happen.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Brilliant.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:25 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
****ing awesome! Thanks for putting forth an honest effort in making this picture happen.

Given that you had size constraints, what do you think about making each letter out of the same color cars? Maybe make each letter stand out better?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:28 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
****ing awesome! Thanks for putting forth an honest effort in making this picture happen.

Given that you had size constraints, what do you think about making each letter out of the same color cars? Maybe make each letter stand out better?
I was thinking maybe he should use one color for each car.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned

That idea will be on the table for next year, if I undertake the project again. The problem is getting all of the drivers to wait patiently while we organize what cars go there.

We had a crap-ton of cars flood the lot earlier than we were expecting and I almost had to put on my ***-kicking boots just to get them to clear out and await placement. If the attitude is positive next year leading up to the event, I may take on that challenge.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Awesome,Matt! Thanks man!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:46 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I was thinking maybe he should use one color for each car.
Fuuuuuuuu....
Old 08-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Looks awesome! Thank you for making it happen!

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Overhead "SUBARU" Shot from BAM XI (drumrollllllllll)