The Official Fitness Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by blue04WRX
this year has been good so far, ive been going to the gym. i also have the p90x, but holy s*** dude, i gotta be in shape to even attempt that program.
100% correct. I tried it and jumped in with both feet. I use my bowflex to do the pull ups because I can range the weight and keep the reps up instead of doing like 3 with all my body weight I do 25 with less.

I was in so much pain for about 4 days after that I couldn't do it anymore and I couldn't even F with the ab burner. Holy crap.

My advice is to do the p90 then the p90x. Either that or instead of doing 2 cycles with the 90x just do once cycle for the first 30 days then bump it up and follow the program. Your average person is not gonna be able to do p90x right off. I seriously couldn't even hold a cellphone up to my head my arms hurt so bad.

I'm gonna restart using this method pretty soon here. I'll keep my progress posted up.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:53 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
100% correct. I tried it and jumped in with both feet. I use my bowflex to do the pull ups because I can range the weight and keep the reps up instead of doing like 3 with all my body weight I do 25 with less.

I was in so much pain for about 4 days after that I couldn't do it anymore and I couldn't even F with the ab burner. Holy crap.

My advice is to do the p90 then the p90x. Either that or instead of doing 2 cycles with the 90x just do once cycle for the first 30 days then bump it up and follow the program. Your average person is not gonna be able to do p90x right off. I seriously couldn't even hold a cellphone up to my head my arms hurt so bad.

I'm gonna restart using this method pretty soon here. I'll keep my progress posted up.
Bolded for extra truth!

The standard P90 is no walk in the park either, but it will help build you up to a level where you can hang with the P90X workouts. I'm trying to hold back during my first week to keep me from burning out early. If my dial goes to 11, I'm at about 8 or 9. I'm not about to pretend I can keep up with the people in the videos.

BTW, I've got my first plyometrics day coming up later.

Do your best and forget the rest and all of that cheesy crap.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
how does BAIC define "fit" or a "fit body" ? I've heard others speak their mind, now I wanna know yours. Be specific but concise prease!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by fizay
how does BAIC define "fit" or a "fit body" ? I've heard others speak their mind, now I wanna know yours. Be specific but concise prease!
To me fit is different than healthy and different for everyone.

Some folks my height are fit at 145-165 pounds and the government tells me that's where I should be. Fit for me is around 200-220 pounds. Athletic at my peak level is about 185-200. No way in HELL can I get under 185 without looking like an ethiopian... I've been there and it was UNHEALTHY.

To me fit is when you can do anything active that you desire to do.

I'm still pretty athletic even at the weight I'm at and my doctor told me not to come back for a few years because I'm totally healthy. Hell I can still put many many people to shame on the slopes. They're in the bar and I'm still going and they LOOK more fit than I do.

SO in short... I think it's personally defined.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Car Info: EQ Built/Tuned WRX

i wish i had a bowflex!! and i feel you on the pain of p90x, the day after i did it, i could barely even walk, even worse drive my car... lol, i was so sore!! anyways ive been going to the gym, ill start the p90x next month when im in a little better shape..
Old 01-20-2010, 01:51 PM
General Pimpin'

bowflex is nice to have but friggin EXPENSIVE. Super scam.

My wife bought one a couple months before our wedding on a whim. We still owe probably 75% of the original total and we've been paying on it for 2 years. 30% interest and they SCREW you on dates and what not. I've had my check in the mail 10 days before it was due and still be hit with $80 in late fines and charges. They boarder on illegal if you ask me. You have to pay to pay it any other way but check and checks are suppose to be in the mail way WAY early. ****ing Scam. I hate them.

I'm tempted to take out a personal loan to pay them off and get them out of my hair. **** Bowflex.

I'd recommend a decent free weight set up instead. For $2500 you can get a hell of a free weight set up.

Hell I might friggin sell mine. I have the tippy top version.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:04 PM

Car Info: '04 ed tuned vf39 jbp wagon
i've kept an eye on the p90 and p90x program...how much did you guys throw down to pick up the p90?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
I didn't read all those posts. I started going to the gym back in August. Prior to that though, I just played Dance Dance Revolution at home because I bought the pads off eBay a long time ago. I used to play a lot during my first few years of college since a lot of my friends were hanging out at arcades. However, we've stopped playing once we got older (and had more responsibilities in our adult lives, LOL). So I also got fat. Like 220 fat. I don't know how much I weighed before that. I only knew that my driver's license said 165 when I was 17.

To start 2008 though, I somehow ended up losing 10lbs when I got sick with the flu. When I recovered from that and a minor respiratory infection, I decided to at least play DDR at home again and ended up getting down to 190. I gained about 6-8lbs over the summer last year. Planet Fitness was having a sale on memberships, $99 for a year. Also the one by my house at Southland Mall in Hayward was 24 hours Mon-Thurs. I joined and I started going there at least 3 times a week, plus I played ball every now and then on a weekend afternoon at the EA gym where my friends worked (well, used to, haha). So I'm at my lowest right now at 176. I still got about 11 lbs to go to reach my driver's license weight. I usually hang out at the elliptical machine and catch up on TV shows or watch ESPN. Then I hit the circuit training area for a half hour. I bought a heart rate monitor to keep tabs of things. I'm hoping get my weight into the 60's or at least get rid of whatever's left of that gut. Whichever comes first, I don't care.

I used to wear L's, XL's, and size 40 pants. Now I'm wearing M's, slim fit L's (like the L's you get in Asia), even S's (if it's sports fan apparel or typical Ecko stuff), and a size 34 pants.

Last edited by Hollandaze; 01-20-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Don't beat yourself up if you can't hit that DL weight. Was we age our bone structures often change. Very few people can get to the weight they had in high school.

I graduated high school at 168 and I was pretty muscular at that weight. I was as low as 155 my senior year in high school. With the muscle structure I have now and the changes in my bone structure I'd have to basically start running marithons to get down below 180 pounds. At 180 I'd be RIPPED.

My advice is to just focus on how you feel and look right now and where you want to go from there.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Don't beat yourself up if you can't hit that DL weight. Was we age our bone structures often change. Very few people can get to the weight they had in high school.

I graduated high school at 168 and I was pretty muscular at that weight. I was as low as 155 my senior year in high school. With the muscle structure I have now and the changes in my bone structure I'd have to basically start running marithons to get down below 180 pounds. At 180 I'd be RIPPED.

My advice is to just focus on how you feel and look right now and where you want to go from there.
Yea, BUT, the thing is, I think I actually embellished the weight I wrote down on my DL application when I was a kid because I never really weighed myself. LOL My goal is to get more fit than I was at a kid. I think I had a fair amount of gut back then too. I can definitely outrun my own damn self from 10-12 years ago.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by fizay
The ability to enjoy extended amounts of moderate physical activities as opposed to suffering through them due to physical unreadiness.

That's the best straight forward answer I have. That's not meant to be negative in any way, but if there needs to be a line drawn between what is "fit" and what is not, that's where my line is.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:18 PM
General Pimpin'

Damn, crazy.

When I went into my senior year football hell week I had just returned from a trip in which I hiked 130 miles and ran 10 at around 8000 feet in an hour and 7 minutes. I could run 5 miles in my sleep.

Now I can run about .5 miles... then I die.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by rubaCU
i've kept an eye on the p90 and p90x program...how much did you guys throw down to pick up the p90?
P90 $60

P90X $120 (i think)

You won't need the pull up bar or push up stands for Power 90, but I do recommend adjustable dumbbells over the elastic bands (I switched about half way through).

Power 90 gets overlooked most of the time, but it is no joke. The phase 3-4 weight lifting disc had me sweating more than the cardio. It's a full body workout and it gives you very little time to rest.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM
General Pimpin'

I got P90x for $50 on Craigslist.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:01 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
i'm to sexy the way I am lol

Quick Reply: The Official Fitness Thread