Official Eargasm (Audiophiles thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:05 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by dSpec
Anyone have experience with the Shure SE215 IEMs? The connector on my Klipsch S4's broke internally, so I'm looking for something to replace them.
I have a pair of Shure E3c. Toughest part was finding the ear bud that fits comfortable. I ended up using the yellow foam ones. I guess the only complaint is if you're eating, talking, walking, etc. you can hear yourself.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Do the 650 show up below $290? Might be time for me to get some new cans.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by JZ oo7

Do the 650 show up below $290? Might be time for me to get some new cans.
Never seen them for less
Old 04-06-2015, 12:11 AM

Never seen them for less
Just ordered...thanks Gagan.

I have a feeling once they are burned in, I'm going to have that upgrade itch to change the cable.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:45 AM

Car Info: DGM STI
Not two days after I posted in this thread the ****ing cat got a hold of my Yamaha IEMs. Ordered a set of Shure SE315's with an extra CBL-M-K (mic) cable. Also picked up an Fiio E11K to figure out what all the kids are yapping about these days. Both should be here today.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by El Wray
Not two days after I posted in this thread the ****ing cat got a hold of my Yamaha IEMs. Ordered a set of Shure SE315's with an extra CBL-M-K (mic) cable. Also picked up an Fiio E11K to figure out what all the kids are yapping about these days. Both should be here today.
Nice - make sure you break in the earbuds before judging them too harshly. Look online and find the best way that works for you. It does make a difference.

I am in Germany now and tried my Senn HD-380 plus amp setup I use regularly at home on the plane this time. I also brought my Bose QC15's. Noise canceling wins hands-down on the plane. Plus, it's nice to disconnect the cable and still be able to use the noise canceling.

To your comments about portability and the amps and stuff - it all has to do with what is important to you. I have a friend who does not mind playing music off his phone speakers - that makes me want to smash things. When I am in a datacenter for hours and such, having my amp and my iPod in my pocket is no big deal at all when I get to have wicked sound like that. The amp is about the size of a deck of cards and the ipod is like an iPod. I use the iPod because I can use the FiiO Line-Out dock and it sounds great, even though the user interface is terrible. These HD-380's with the amp sound amazing. Without the amp, they are all mid-range. Just depends on what you are looking for.

There is no global better or best when it comes to stuff like this - just about what you prefer.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Old School

Just ordered...thanks Gagan.

I have a feeling once they are burned in, I'm going to have that upgrade itch to change the cable.
I hope you aren't that ridiculous...
Old 04-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Old School

http://mobile.adorama.com/SEHD650.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=wXoywY2DaxQDU5T 0-1U6uUmmUkVTWn3pzWhZzk0&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_ca mpaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affilia te.62905

HD650s for $287
Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 AM

http://mobile.adorama.com/SEHD650.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=wXoywY2DaxQDU5T 0-1U6uUmmUkVTWn3pzWhZzk0&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_ca mpaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affilia te.62905

HD650s for $287
I saw that and tried to cancel the Newegg order so I don't have to pay tax. Right when I was trying was right when they changed my status to shipped. Oh well...
Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Ergh if you want to change the cable at least make your own. It is not THAT difficult and much cheaper than the ludicrous prices the "high end" retailers charge. Upwards of $300+ for some quality wire, connectors and shrink wrap?! Riiiiiight..

HD650s for $287
Man, Sennheiser HD products have been awfly frequently on sale this year...usually it is just once a year during the Christmas holiday period...and it is cheaper now too. Makes me wonder if it is a prelude to anything...
Old 04-14-2015, 09:38 PM

I'm an audiophile, of course I am.

I was using a standard power cable for my amp many years ago. Upgraded the cable to something with better shielding and to my surprise, it actually made a difference. As for cables for headphone, if I was to spend $200+, I'll rather do upgrades on my amp because I think the returns would be much higher.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:35 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
No, that's just

Old 04-15-2015, 09:24 AM
Old School

I was using a standard power cable for my amp many years ago. Upgraded the cable to something with better shielding and to my surprise, it actually made a difference. As for cables for headphone, if I was to spend $200+, I'll rather do upgrades on my amp because I think the returns would be much higher.
Just means the amp had a crappy cable to begin with.

Power conditioning does help, look into that. I use Panamax.

Putting that money into better cans yields far better results. This isn't Jlab... it's Sennheiser. They make great stuff. (though the balanced cables they sell are super expensive I hear)
Old 04-15-2015, 09:26 AM
Old School

We made some of our cables OCC instead of OFC, and they sound IDENTICAL, measure microhms better (nothing basically) and the process is way more expensive. A proper copper cable, with proper terminations and shielding doesn't cost astronomical amounts of $.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:08 AM

Just got the HD650 today and listening to the first track right now. Getting a hum from the amp that I did not get from the AKG K701. I'm guessing it's because the K701 is a lot harder to drive.

With almost no burn, I can see (or hear) why people love these for vocals. The vocals sound so much juicer on the HD650 and I'm going to guess it's just going to grow more as they burn in. Wood from the stand up bass is much more pronounce and so is the soundstaging.

Quick Reply: Official Eargasm (Audiophiles thread)