i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   The Official Bay Area Beer Thread (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/official-bay-area-beer-thread-195086/)

walt 11-21-2008 11:30 AM

Boulder Creek Brewery on Highway 9--an excellent brewmaster and an ever-changing lineup of fine brews. I haven't been to Devil's Canyon Brewery,but Alice's Restaurant and The Alpine Inn (Portola Valley) carry their Full Bore Scotch Ale,and that is about the tastiest brew I have ever had on draft.

kYLEMtnCRUZr 11-21-2008 03:07 PM

^ haha that brewmaster test drove my 88 Mazda GTX when i was selling it...his name was Brian i think?

not12listen 11-21-2008 05:29 PM

[B]Stone Brewing[/B] - they make the fine and awesome, Arrogant Bastard Ale, is something that everyone really must try. they're based out of North San Diego county. they make a very limited run Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - i love this beer, and it when you pour it, it makes Guinness look like water. :)

[B]Pyramid[/B] - they have a fine selection of brews available. their Hefeweizen is quite respectable, despite being made in the US. i know of at least 2 breweries locally, Berkeley and Walnut Creek. i particularly enjoy the Apricot Ale.

[B]Rogue Breweries[/B] - Dead Guy Ale & Hazelnut are devine. last i recall though, they're based out of Portland, OR.

[B]Hopyard[/B] - has some decent beers. nothing that i'd write home about, but nothing nearly as terrible as the piss water made by Bud, Miller or Coors. Hopyard is also based out of Pleasanton, CA.

[B]Blue Moon[/B] - the standard (Blue) stuff is ok, but i've grown really tired of it. the Fall brew (orange) is ok, but the pumpkin hint does not agree with my stomach and causes many trips to the toilet... the Yellow (summer) brew is a tad bitter and works well on those summer days. the White (winter) is really tasty! the winter brew of theirs, is by far my favorite from Blue Moon. i'm not sure where they're based out of.

[B]New Belguim Brewing[/B] - they make the absolutely awesome, and under-rated Mothership Wit beer. every other beer they make, pales in comparison by a large margin. Fat Tire is their most well known of beer, but is so absolutely unremarkable and bland, there are times that i've actually forgotten that i was drinking a beer, and not just water with mild brown sugar and a bit of hops.

so, now for the suggested beers:
Tiger Beer from India
Samichlaus from Germany
Mönchshof Schwarzbier from Germany
Köstritzer Schwarzbier from Germany
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse (Gold Label) from Germany

i will definitely be adding more later...

walt 11-21-2008 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=kYLEMtnCRUZr;2421546]^ haha that brewmaster test drove my 88 Mazda GTX when i was selling it...his name was Brian i think?[/QUOTE]
A rotund gentleman with black hair and beard?

kYLEMtnCRUZr 11-21-2008 08:30 PM

yeah if rotund means testing the beer a little too often :lol:

wombatsauce 11-22-2008 08:31 AM

I was going to go to Speakeasy's thing last night but ended up picking this up and just staying home:
[IMG]http://www.wombatsauce.com/images/crap/fredag.ol.jpg[/IMG]

wombatsauce 11-22-2008 08:35 AM

Oh man I cannot believe I forgot to include Boulder Creek Brewing Co. That place is wonderful. I used to have some friends that lived within stumbling distance and we would always turn up for as many growlers as we could carry. Every once in a while you can catch their IPA which is great...

pignoseWRX 11-24-2008 04:26 PM

i need a birra.

wombatsauce 11-24-2008 08:48 PM

I am 59% through a Fuller's ESB and moving on to IPA after a quick visit with an Arrogant Bastard. Woo!

jonluude 11-24-2008 08:57 PM

My favorite beer of choice is Stone Pale Ale. Although I do like their IPA and Arrogant Bastard.
Been to the Stone Brewery in North County San Diego.. they have like over one hundred beers on tap!

SolSurferX 11-24-2008 09:00 PM

Sierra Nevada Celebration floats my boat....Its floating my eyeballs at the moment too...

wombatsauce 11-24-2008 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=SolSurferX;2425809]Sierra Nevada Celebration floats my boat....Its floating my eyeballs at the moment too...[/QUOTE]

I have something like a "wet hop ale" from Sierra Nevada up next after the Bastard. Never had it before, so this should be fun.

pignoseWRX 11-24-2008 09:14 PM

had a Stone IPA at delfina saturday night. brought back memories. i'll be back in san diego in december and you can bet i'll be drinking stone all day long.

anyone homebrew? my ex-coworker used to brew me up some wicked stuff.

En3D 11-24-2008 09:19 PM

Does anyone know where to buy this beer in the Bay Area?

[url]http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-brotherThelonious.htm[/url]

It's great, think of it a more robust New Castle. I've called and they can't tell me where to buy it in the Bay Area.

En3D 11-24-2008 09:20 PM

opps double post