i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   The Official Bay Area Beer Thread (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/official-bay-area-beer-thread-195086/)

VRT MBasile 11-24-2008 09:37 PM

I go back and forth between Sierra Pale Ale and Arrogant Bastard being my favorites. I also love Sierra's Wheat. There is a micro brewery in Monterey called Peter B's that has an amazing Dark Wheat. I'll do Smithwick's (same company as Guinness, not as thick) every once in a while. There is also a brewery in Marina (next to Seaside/Monterey) but I haven't tried their stuff yet (English Ales Brewery).

Hows the Racer 5? I've never had it but always see it when I go to get an Arrogant.

VRT MBasile 11-24-2008 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=pignoseWRX;2425824]had a Stone IPA at delfina saturday night. brought back memories. i'll be back in san diego in december and you can bet i'll be drinking stone all day long.

anyone homebrew? my ex-coworker used to brew me up some wicked stuff.[/QUOTE]

bring me back some of the good stuff? can't find it in the Monterey area!

Chrisnonstop 11-24-2008 09:47 PM

Toranado's

A really cool place in S.F. to drink beer. Toranados (i think that's how it's spelt) has about 40 or so beers on tap and even a cask ale if you're feeling adventurous and some heavy barley wines.

SolSurferX 11-24-2008 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=VRT MBasile;2425874]I go back and forth between Sierra Pale Ale and Arrogant Bastard being my favorites. I also love Sierra's Wheat. There is a micro brewery in Monterey called Peter B's that has an amazing Dark Wheat. I'll do Smithwick's (same company as Guinness, not as thick) every once in a while. There is also a brewery in Marina (next to Seaside/Monterey) but I haven't tried their stuff yet (English Ales Brewery).

Hows the Racer 5? I've never had it but always see it when I go to get an Arrogant.[/QUOTE] M.B if you like Sierra Pale, you will LOVE Celebration....I think...I could be biased at the moment...oh if you have nothing to do tomorrow come by and say hi at laguna, i'll be on the ambulance tomorrow 11/25.....

VRT MBasile 11-24-2008 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=SolSurferX;2425907]M.B if you like Sierra Pale, you will LOVE Celebration....I think...I could be biased at the moment...oh if you have nothing to do tomorrow come by and say hi at laguna, i'll be on the ambulance tomorrow 11/25.....[/QUOTE]

I do like the Celebration, kind of a blend between Sierra and Arrogant.

I actually have classes from 8-4 tomorrow, so I doubt I'll get a chance to swing by...unless I can get a ride on the track in the ambulance

SolSurferX 11-24-2008 10:27 PM

I think i might be lucky enough to get my own aass on the track....and i'll be driving...lol

not12listen 11-24-2008 10:39 PM

if you guys enjoy the IPA bite, give a try with Stone Ruination IPA (from Stone Brewing). it is, by far, the most intense IPA i've ever had.

as i've learned, the standard IPA has between 30-40 IBUs (international bitterness units), whereas Ruination has 100+. basically, it is LOADED with hops! :)

the first time i tried it, i only took 1 sip. but, i couldnt taste anything else afterward. since that time (a few years ago), my beer palette has expanded... so, it is not so taste numbing any longer. :)

there is a beer that i found at BevMo... quite unique. Skull Splitter. its smells like burnt rubber, but tastes like black licorice.

Trader Joe's has a Blueberry Wheat Ale which is very tasty too! :)

Jabberwocky 11-24-2008 11:25 PM

In the last few months, here are the decent ones I've tried:

Aventinus Doppelbock. Real good stuff on a cold day. (you really HAVE to try this one) It is just very flavorful.
Arrogant bastard ale is one I drink on occasion, I have yet to try Ruination (but will)
Mothers Wit Beer is good the one time I had it last week (I suspect it might get old fast if I drank too much of it)
Sierra Nevada has a Harvest wet hop beer out right now, I like it
Warsteiner makes a decent Pilsner, as does Sudwerks
Many local breweries are at least half decent.

Weird but some foreign beers are half decent when you drink it in the country that they make it in, but seem to suck real badly here: eg Harbin is half decent in China and Cusquena is half decent in Peru. However, drink it here and it sucks so damn badly.

The other beers I drink on occasion:
Newcastle, Guinness, Red Stripe (I think this one has gone downhill though), Blue Moon, and Steel Reserve (When I feel extra cheap)

squatch 11-24-2008 11:29 PM

[QUOTE=En3D;2425833]Does anyone know where to buy this beer in the Bay Area?

[url]http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-brotherThelonious.htm[/url]

It's great, think of it a more robust New Castle. I've called and they can't tell me where to buy it in the Bay Area.[/QUOTE]

i work for Whole Foods in Petaluma and we carry it, so i'm sure other WFs carry it was well.

My favs are:
Red Rocket Ale
Lagunitas Farmhouse Saison Ale
Anchor X-mas
And of course what ever is in front of me (just no domestic lights!!!! ewwww)

wombatsauce 11-24-2008 11:37 PM

I don't even know what to say except that I am getting much more of this tomorrow. WOW.

[IMG]http://photos.wombatsauce.com/albums/beer/images/img_2735.jpg[/IMG]

wombatsauce 11-24-2008 11:38 PM

[QUOTE=SolSurferX;2425907]M.B if you like Sierra Pale, you will LOVE Celebration....I think...I could be biased at the moment...oh if you have nothing to do tomorrow come by and say hi at laguna, i'll be on the ambulance tomorrow 11/25.....[/QUOTE]

You work the EMT there? I work safety for NASA events (haven't for a while but will be @ the 25).

SolSurferX 11-25-2008 09:12 AM

yeah I work on the ambulance when I can, some nice cars here today. It's a little late but if you see this come on by, I'll be sitting in the drivers seat :)

En3D 11-25-2008 11:03 AM

squatch - thanks for the heads up.

that Sierra Nevada Harvest looks great.

Shagon Wagon 11-25-2008 11:10 AM

deschutes abyss 22oz.... seasonal ... WOW

SolSurferX 11-26-2008 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=wombatsauce;2426099]I don't even know what to say except that I am getting much more of this tomorrow. WOW.

[IMG]http://photos.wombatsauce.com/albums/beer/images/img_2735.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
So, I was going to post that I had found this beer as well and that it was quite tasty, like an IPA, blah, blah, blah...Then I realized its a different beer, Fresh Hop Ale instead of Wet Hop ale, THIS one tastes like an IPA, its pretty good.