The Official Bay Area Beer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by pignoseWRX
it's already out ... i picked up a six maybe a month ago?
Thanks! I just found it at my local Safeway.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I picked up some Moylan's Kiltlifter at BevMo today. I really only went for a bomber of Arrogant Bastard for a pizza crust, but I couldn't pass up the Kiltlifer.

If it's not Scottish its crrrrrap!

Oh, and has anyone found and Jolly Pumpkin beers in the South Bay?

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 10-22-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I decided to pick it up because you spoke highly of the brewery in general, and I heard an interview with the brewer and it sounded really good.
That's cool. It's really great, and if you are ever at the brewery you must try the bitter. So good.

I was just at the Bevmo near you today and got some Lagunitas Maximus, more Mirror Pond and some Deschutes Twilight ale, the Sierra Nevada Estate Ale, a Sierra Nevada "Southern Hemisphere wet hop ale," DogFishHead 90 Minute IPA (one of my favs), and DogFishHead "peche" for the lady.

Note: They have "The Maharaja IPA" which you must buy. Get one. It's above the Anderson Valley beers in the 22oz singles. IPA that will blow you head clean off.

I was down because I stopped at MoreBeer to get stuff for another passionfruit wheat and ingredients for the following recipe:

9 lbs. Light malt extract
1 lb. 15L Crystal malt
1 1/2 lbs. Maris Otter 2 row pale malt
1/2 lb. American Munich malt
1/2lb Flaked Barley
2 oz. Cascade hops (60 min)
2 oz. Cascade hops (30 min)
1 oz. Cascade hops (last 5 min)
1 oz. Cascade hops (last 1 min. or dry hop)
White Labs CA Ale yeast
Old 10-22-2009, 08:25 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
That's cool. It's really great, and if you are ever at the brewery you must try the bitter. So good.

I was just at the Bevmo near you today and got some Lagunitas Maximus, more Mirror Pond and some Deschutes Twilight ale, the Sierra Nevada Estate Ale, a Sierra Nevada "Southern Hemisphere wet hop ale," DogFishHead 90 Minute IPA (one of my favs), and DogFishHead "peche" for the lady.

Note: They have "The Maharaja IPA" which you must buy. Get one. It's above the Anderson Valley beers in the 22oz singles. IPA that will blow you head clean off.

I was down because I stopped at MoreBeer to get stuff for another passionfruit wheat and ingredients for the following recipe:

9 lbs. Light malt extract
1 lb. 15L Crystal malt
1 1/2 lbs. Maris Otter 2 row pale malt
1/2 lb. American Munich malt
1/2lb Flaked Barley
2 oz. Cascade hops (60 min)
2 oz. Cascade hops (30 min)
1 oz. Cascade hops (last 5 min)
1 oz. Cascade hops (last 1 min. or dry hop)
White Labs CA Ale yeast
I'll check out The Maharaja IPA. I pretty much just have to go shelf by shelf, because there are so many there I want to try! I almost got the Dogfish Head 90 Minute but opted for the Scottish Ale instead. Recipe sounds good!

Oh yeah, Maharaja kit: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=11687
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
I have to repeat myself cuz I went to Whole Foods. Get the Stone 13th Anniversary! As tasty as the Double Dead Guy, but half the price. I apologize for the lack of descriptiveness, but the DDGA is as close as I can compare it

.....And I'll for sure be looking for the Maharaja IPA......
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
i used to think racer 5 was my favorite bear republic brew, but i keep on getting the red rocket ale instead. so tasty.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SolSurferX
I have to repeat myself cuz I went to Whole Foods. Get the Stone 13th Anniversary! As tasty as the Double Dead Guy, but half the price. I apologize for the lack of descriptiveness, but the DDGA is as close as I can compare it

.....And I'll for sure be looking for the Maharaja IPA......
I'll definitely pick it up if I see it, although I'm never at Whole Foods. I did see the Maui IPA today and debated picking it up.

Weird, BevMo has 21A Brew Free or Die on their website, but I couldn't find it in the store. MUST GET!

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 10-22-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
^ BevMo has been a bit of a letdown as of late; normally a grand selection, but some things that can be found other places cannot be found in the store...
Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SolSurferX
^ BevMo has been a bit of a letdown as of late; normally a grand selection, but some things that can be found other places cannot be found in the store...
It's weird, but they have different things at different BevMo's due to "territory reasons" which make no sense to me. The Sunnyvale BevMo near Mary/El Camino is my fav and I usually drive down to that one instead of the one in San Mateo or Redwood City simply because of the selection. The SF one on Geary has a mind-blowing selection as well...

Anyway, I have seen the 21A cans regularly at Redwood City BevMo but not at any of the others. I have seen it a lot in Sunnyvale but not for a while. When it's there it's usually on an end-cap and not on the shelves. I will stop by the RWC BevMo today and report back.

Here's my original gravity from that recipe last night - came out perfect. Was shooting for 1.050-1.055. Color was dreamy... I think it's the Maris Otter as my pales come out deep copper, almost orange when I use this 2-row grain... Also, I rolled these and then went home and started the brew asap instead of using a kit where the grains have been rolled for who-knows how long. Probably will do it this way from here on out unless I am just picking up a DME kit such as the wheat for my wife.. Anyway - beer:

When the brew helper gets too annoying she has to sit in the laundry basket... So funny - this dog can leap into the air and hang from a toy I am holding at arms-length but put her in a laundry basket and she just sits there staring...

Old 10-23-2009, 08:13 AM

Doesn't BevMo have an online inventory lookup for each store? I'll have to double check, but could save some drives.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:33 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Akira-R
Doesn't BevMo have an online inventory lookup for each store? I'll have to double check, but could save some drives.
Yes they do, and it's not always entirely useful or correct.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:05 PM
VIP Member

Someone let me know if they see this around

http://www.rogue.com/beers/northwestern-ale.php
Old 10-25-2009, 11:34 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Someone let me know if they see this around

http://www.rogue.com/beers/northwestern-ale.php
Hmm.. Well, I was just there and they have this on tap:

I didn't see the Northwestern in bottles anywhere either but there may have been some places I didn't see.

I recommend the YSB, Imperial IPA and I could not pass up a glass of DogFish Head 90 Minute... No Double Dead Guy on tap today. They missed a shipment from the mothership, so could be better next week. We had a great time though and cheers to another dog-friendly place!

"BUDWEISER THE KING OF BEERS" Haha..
Old 10-30-2009, 06:23 PM
VIP Member

Name:  photo-15.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  33.0 KB

Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Me last night

Quick Reply: The Official Bay Area Beer Thread