The Official Bay Area Beer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Which kit was it? By the way, the light ale kit from MB turned out pretty well after sitting in the bottle for 5 weeks (the instructions said 2).

30 bottles left? What size bottles and batches are you doing?
It was the kit labeled "Blonde Ale" - something like $26. I have to admit I really like it. I added the flaked barley which I suggest to add to nearly every ale unless it conflicts with the desired end result. 5 weeks is pretty nice, but really mostly for beers with a higher malt content however it certainly cannot hurt! I am making another IPA asap, and that one will need to sit for at least that long, then I am going to try another custom recipe again but this one will need to sit for nearly 2mos due to malt and hop content. Yay!

Currently using 12oz bottles for lighter beers that friends and my wife likes, and using the 22's for "me beers." It's 2x the work of course, but that has been greatly simplified with the use of a bottle tree. I really like the 12oz bottles, and they are much easier to deal with around company since most of these need to be poured from the bottle, so you either need a big glass or end up with one full pint and a little left over. With 12oz bottles I get 40-50 per 5gal batch depending on yield.

Also - since I let the blonde sit for a month, it completely settled out. Luckily I did not have to move it to rack it, so I did not disturb the base layer at all - long story short it pours clear and you can tip the bottle - no sediment at all, with zero filtration.

Your mini fridge is definitely larger than mine. I don't think my 5gal Better Bottle fits in there at all. Are you using a 5gal bottle for your primary??? If so, you must use a blowoff. Also, plan on using a blowoff for anything higher in malt than a basic ale. I have had some weird ones - a simple hefeweizen almost made me a yeast monster. The other was my custom recipe ale - have to see if I have any pics of it.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
That picture is the 6 gallon better bottle. I ended up having to stick a blow off tube on, which just barely fits under the freezer compartment. I did it More Beer's way if sticking it on the tube inside the air lock, so it's taller than the traditional way. Once the stout is done I'm going to look into repositioning the freezer compartment.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:06 AM
VIP Member

That picture is the 6 gallon better bottle. I ended up having to stick a blow off tube on, which just barely fits under the freezer compartment. I did it More Beer's way if sticking it on the tube inside the air lock, so it's taller than the traditional way. Once the stout is done I'm going to look into repositioning the freezer compartment.
Wow, well I just measured mine and it looks like I should be able to fit my carboy (glass 6gal primary) in there after all - there's 24" from the bottom to the freezer. I will give it a try (once we drink some of the beer that is now in that fridge). I think it was the door that was the problem with mine, but you said you "fixed" yours. Have to give it a try as I really want to make a lager.

Also, I think you might be able to get an "L" where you can run the blowoff basically right out of that stopper and to the side so it doesn't end up being so tall. Those airlocks are nice so you can quickly get one together if you need.

I still really like that "chamber" that one guy made - that would be neat.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:24 AM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
I went to North Coast brewery on Saturday and did their 12 beer 4oz sampler, was only 15$ so pretty decent. Old stock ale is a beer that will put hair on your chest 12.5%. And rapsutin is good but old rasptuin X and XII are better IMO. Overall i still like blue star. One of my favs and is hard to beat!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ruehl
I went to North Coast brewery on Saturday and did their 12 beer 4oz sampler, was only 15$ so pretty decent. Old stock ale is a beer that will put hair on your chest 12.5%. And rapsutin is good but old rasptuin X and XII are better IMO. Overall i still like blue star. One of my favs and is hard to beat!
Hmm, I can't remember if I've had their Red Seal Ale before or not... I might be confusing it with Red Tail Ale.

So my stout tastes like a stout... but I spent $15 on cherries and want it to taste like a cherry stout! It still as a long way to go though, so we'll see how it turns out in a month
Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Their red seal ale is their top bottle seller and its really popular you kind find it just about anywhere that sells microbrews
Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ruehl
Their red seal ale is their top bottle seller and its really popular you kind find it just about anywhere that sells microbrews
I know I've seen it in stores, just can't remember if I've had it.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:01 PM

I know I've seen it in stores, just can't remember if I've had it.
Do yourself a favor
Old 08-27-2009, 12:15 AM

Car Info: Black 2006 STI
didn't read this whole thread, but to pick a few in no order i would say...
blue moon
sierra nevada
heineken
miller high life
coors light (that's my beer for drinkability! haha)

there's alot more, but some of these i grew up on, and others are ones i enjoy. i experiment with different beers, but i figure i have a long time to try new ones. ill have to kae a list of some ones i hear on this thread though.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:27 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by toofast4u2
didn't read this whole thread, but to pick a few in no order i would say...
blue moon
sierra nevada
heineken
miller high life
coors light (that's my beer for drinkability! haha)

there's alot more, but some of these i grew up on, and others are ones i enjoy. i experiment with different beers, but i figure i have a long time to try new ones. ill have to kae a list of some ones i hear on this thread though.
Originally Posted by pignoseWRX
We all know the Bay Area is best. Adding to our greatness is our proximity to great west coast breweries. Tell us your top 5 and what you think everyone else should try. Not necessarily "Bay Area Beers", whatever you like from wherever, and if it's "rare" where we might find it in the Bay Area.

21 and over, please.

and discuss.
Oh woah, I completely forgot the point of the thread

My top 5 West Coast breweries
1. Sierra Nevada
2. Stone
3. Lagunitas
4. Bear Republic (Racer 5)
5. My home brew

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 08-27-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX STI
Just saw this thread...Made some home made Black and Tans yesterday
Attached Thumbnails The Official Bay Area Beer Thread-blkntan.jpg  
Old 08-31-2009, 06:34 PM
VIP Member

Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale... 'nuff said.

Name:  drunk4zc.gif
Views: 7
Size:  6.7 KB
Old 09-20-2009, 10:14 PM
VIP Member

Went to Stone brewery yesterday. Tonight I had 2 liters of brewery fresh Ruination IPA
Old 09-20-2009, 10:35 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
i just went to the recycling center not even thinking of the homebrewers. which ones of you want us to save bottles (besides the sierra holidays basile?) and are there any kinds in particular? my ex-coworker always wanted my widmer bottles.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:00 PM
VIP Member

Talking

Currently on our yearly brewery road trip though this time we set aside 3 days in Bend for more Deschutes time. Last night I had a sampler that was all different IPAs and then got a growler of one called Horse Ridge IPA which literally blew my face off. I have no face.

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co on Wednesday!!!!!!! Woo!!!

Quick Reply: The Official Bay Area Beer Thread