Official: BAM 2013 self improvement thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Official: BAM 2013 self improvement thread

Alright folks. Since this got started in a way that I'm not to stoked on I'll get this thread up a little sooner than I had planned on it.

First and foremost. Thanks.

Thank you to every single volunteer that stepped up to help. The organization teamed killed it this year. The volunteers were amazing. Hopefully people appreciated the work shirts and the red shirts. Those that covet them... that's why I spend a little extra time on them and make them better. Those people volunteering time and energy deserve something special and it's the only way I can really do anything tangible for them.

I love the team we've put together and all of you guys that stepped up because you wanted to and that's why. Also to Jamison's wife Sharon... thank you. You rock! Seriously. Mad organizational skills yo.

Thank you to the vendors, on site and off. We had a huge and awesome group of vendors and donators this year.

The raffle prizes.... well... the raffle took up half of the event time so obviously we had some prizes. One of the biggest raffles I've ever seen at any event period. I'm not sure if you guys paid attention to how much artwork went out but that was literally thousands of dollars of amazing artwork by some very very talented artists. Detail Maniac donated some HUGE prizes again. Wheeldude/wd garage again through down over $500 in prizes. FW put down a freakin motor! Mann wasn't able to come and they still donated easily $1000 in prizes. Mechanix was AWESOME. I really hope I can bring them or someone else in like them for something similar next year... free swag donations. We had some new ones in there this year with people like ACME, Snail and Imprerial stepping in and in my opinion each one of them was great. Speed Element through in a boat load of shirts and a set of lug nuts that I had been hoping to get for months. Thank you. Jourdan helped us out a lot and even printed some super last minute stickers for me. And we even had some members throw in the raffle. You can all thank Matt for bring out the models and shooting some great photos... and donating some pretty fat prize packages. Big and little the vendors stepped up HUGE.

The vendors make it possible for us to put on events like this. Without them we couldn't pull it off. And they help make the event special.

I hope everyone went and talked to the vendors and I hope the vendors made some new friends and more than that.... enjoyed themselves.

Attendees. For the most part every person I talked with had a good time and had good things to say. On top of that you guys behaved yourself pretty well. The site was pretty clean when you guys left and I appreciate that. You were understanding of the rules and kept to them pretty well.

Thank you very much for making this event what it is. I honestly have nothing to do with the event. On the day of it's 100% about the people there. You guys want it to be a good event you make it a good event. Someone wants to ruin it... they can ruin it. And I mean one person. It's that simple. But you guys once again were a great great group of people. I will be talking with the park soon about how we can make this happen at the same location next year. From what I heard in my talks with them last year, they were pretty happy with us. I hope that's still the case.

I'll probably add more to this but I'm still dragging pretty hard today.

I was going to wait for this thread until I had a donation count. But I'll do another thread for that in the next day or two.

So now... the good the bad and the ugly.

Self improvement part of the thread. These are my observations.

1. The raffle. It took a long time and we were kind of handcuffed with no voice amplification. We'll figure out how to fix that next year. We'll also fix the raffle ticket pulling part of it by purchasing a tumbler. That should eliminate any complaining about the way tickets are pulled. And amplifying the voice should help with any prize confusion that happens in the future.

2. The food. It worked out pretty good. As far as I know, everyone that wanted to eat ate. We ran out of condiments at one point so we'll buy more next year. We also ran out of cookies so we'll buy more next year. Heck... I didn't even eat. LOL!

The line was HUGE. We'll be evaluating and figuring out how to fix that for next year. Possibly we'll form multiple lines and condiment table set ups. Or we'll cook at both pavilions. Who knows. We'll figure it out at our post BAM wrap up meeting.

3. Recycling. We did not do a good enough job of getting recycle only cans and bags around. That is our fault and it will be fixed for next year. There will also be more regular trash cans scattered around so people don't have to lug their own trash around so far. I had a pocket full of crap all day.

4. Shirts. They sold very very fast and we still had a couple issues with folks not getting what they ordered. Not many... but a couple. So that process will be worked on again next year. It was much better this year than last but it'll be better next year and I'll try and order more extra units. I ordered about $900 in extra units and most of them sold in like an hour.

I actually pulled stuff out of my personal order to make sure people got stuff.

If anyone did not get what they ordered please email me at one2onedesigns@gmail.com and we'll try to figure out how to correct the situation. I do not know if I'll do a follow up order or not. I'll talk to my printer about it and see how I can keep it affordable for everyone. Last year I charged the same prices as the prepay and my per unit prices were much higher because I ordered 15% of the quantity. I personally ate the difference last year. I can't do that this year.

Shade. We can't do much about that. I warned everyone several times.. bring shade if you want it. We had 2 pavilions set up and the other one got used more by people that were just at the park hanging out than they did by us. I'm not sure how we'll utilize that next year.

Vendor locations and car locations. I was pretty happy with how it worked out all things considered. Next year I want to figure out if we can make the vendor booths and cars be together. The only down fall to that is the entire event will be in the parking lot. I actually want people by the pavilions, on the grass and using the park. That's why we do it at the park. Hang out. Play games. play with your kids. Etc.

but we'll be discussing this as well.

Check in. Went way better this year but we'll refine it even more for next year.

The car show. The online thing had great intentions and was a great idea. It failed because of some tech issues and because some folks didn't have the integrity to not vote 150 times. My personal view on how this will happen next year is that we'll put together a team of qualified judges. They will vote on EVERY category and choose the winners. We'll also have a vendors choice. We'll organize that better next year. And we'll have an overall show winner. This will be the number one prize and I'll work with Jamison on a special trophy for this car. This is the car you guys vote on. When you check in you'll be given your prepay package and all that jazz. You'll also be given a raffle ticket. Each car participating in the car show with have a box next to it. You will walk up to the one car you like best regardless of what it is and you'll put your ticket in the box. Each person/1 vote. Most votes wins best in show. Period. Done. We'll have a team of people sit down and count the tickets while we're doing the last raffle.

The model deal. It was great having them there and I'm sure you all appreciated it. That's good. The bad... no one donated to their jar they were putting together for charity. NO ONE. So if it's done again next year I'm going to talk with Matt about how we can set it up differently. Maybe prepayed time slots and a few open the day of time slots.

So here is your one and only opportunity and location to give your feedback. Positive and negative is fully accepted and appreciated. This is where you come in and say... thank you so and so for fixing this. This is where you come in and say... I really xyz had been a little different, here is my idea on how it can be done better.

Pointless negative posts will be ignored. So elaborate. I don't want useless complaining. What I do want is someone that experienced something not quite perfect saying what that was and helping us be aware of it... including ideas on how you would like it to be done in following year.

I seriously want to hear all the good and bad. This is not where I come in and you pat me on the back. I'm not looking for that. This is where we come in and we make a better meet for EVERYONE.

Do not be afraid of any negative back lash from i-club, the mods or me. This is an open discussion and this is the place to put it out there. The only time I'll get pissed is if I feel like you're just bashing on someone or complaining without purpose. That's it. You saw the extent of that in the other thread. That's my opinion and I'll leave it there.

Do not PM or Email me complaints or pointers unless you have something I personally need to help you fix. I will do whatever I can to help ANYONE that needs help.

Everything is in this thread is there for everyone to see. This event isn't my event. Never was, never will be. I don't do this to make money or get pats on the back. This event is 100% your event. You want it great, you make it great. You have a cause you love... maybe we can help you support it. Keep that in mind for next year... no guarantees but we'll review every charity to find the one we all agree is where our hearts are leading our donations.

If you think I'm not the guy for the event or you have something you wish to say about me that i could personally change to help the event then please do so. Don't just come in and talk crap about me but if you think I could have done something differently the day of the event to make the event better for you and you have good input... give it. I'm never opposed to that kind of input as long as it's coming from the right place. That's how I get better as a person, that's how I get better as an artist, that's how I get better at organizing this monster.

Thank you again for a very very amazing day. It was a very successful event. I hope no one wrecked or got tickets on your way to or from the event. We had some folks putting in some serious seat time to get to the event. I hope it was worth it for all of you.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
I think this was a great event. I can't thank all the volunteers enough, and what issues did come up were addressed quickly and with everyone considered.

Ray, you're the man. I don't mean to damn others (Gagan, Cliff, jeez, everybody) with faint praise, either - everyone who helped make this a reality - thank you, you are what makes the club awesome.

I don't have any negative feedback, and any constructive feedback falls in the areas already identified with streamlining the raffle, the car show, etc; I think everyone did an awesome job of rolling with punches and making stuff work. I know how hard it is to nail food with the numbers we deal with for prepay and day-of, you guys hit it. That takes a lot of careful planning and it's appreciated.

So proud of this community and the spirit of giving back I saw yesterday.

Like Ray said, don't be shy if you're being constructive. Everything helps.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
i wasnt there this year but was last year and Ray always steps up and gets everything dialed in so the rest of the comm could enjoy their Sunday. Even if like Ray said, it cuts into his "happiness" looking forward to next year!

only negative feedback....i wasnt there

till next year!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
I didn't get a cookie either

All went smooth IMO
Old 08-12-2013, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
I think the event went SUPER smoothly. As someone who played judge at a few New Dimensions Audi/VW shows back in the day, this was the best. Other than food lines, lack of a P.A. system for raffle prizes, and the 10:30 traffic arriving in the park, it went as perfect as a huge volunteer based charity show can go. In fact, this probably went better than many for-profit shows I've been to.

Everyone was friendly, had a good time, no one was acting like a fool pulling out of the parking lot at mach 5, and no one wrecked while driving to and from - at least I think not.

The voting was a little messed up. Allowing people to vote 24 hours before a show is silly. I got a text message from my buddy the day before the show saying someone had 600+ votes - THE DAY BEFORE THE SHOW. Who's to say that that guy would even show up? What if his car breaks down, or he gets sick? Then he wins the award for Best of Show and he isn't even there to claim it? Kinda' weird and unfair to the people who prepared their cars and spent time making them look good.

Having actual judges, or having a limit on one vote per person for each paid attendee and another single vote for best of show would be okay. But sadly, as this event proved, even at a charity car show people will cheat and stuff the digital ballot box. I'm not a tech guy, and don't know how in the world you would set that up, either by paper ballots or digitally, but it just seems right. But, again, judges would be best. Having a legit score sheet rating the car on the standard things (body work, wheels/suspension/brakes, engine, interior/I.C.E., and "other" or "overall appearance" would be ideal). Otherwise it does turn into a bit of a social media popularity contest.

The food lines were crazy, but allowing the pre-pays up front was really nice. Having two separate lines might help. Of course, it's hard to plan on things like that when so many people don't prepay, but you guys did a great job of planning ahead. My burger was perfect. I did not go hungry, nor did my wife and friends.

Checking in was easy. Took 5 minutes of waiting in line. That was it. I was directed on where to park, and got to park with my class. I liked that. No mixing and matching of cars. I parked with Fozzies. GC's parked with GC's. Really nicely done. And having the guys showing their cars show up at 8:30 was plenty of time to get them into position. Again, nice work!

Parking direction of the cars could have been better. I would encourage the traffic folks to direct ALL cars to back into their spots. As a photographer and a spectator, that means I get to see the front of all the cars, and while the booty shots are great, most people want to see the front of the cars. So even for the spectators, they should all back their cars into their parking spots.

All in all, one of the best shows I've ever been to, and even better yet - it's for charity. Kudos to EVERYONE who had a hand in this, both the planners, the vendors, the donators, the volunteers, and most importantly, the spectators - who were all mature, and who all paid money to get in and support a park, a charity, as well as their love of Subarus.

Last edited by Prettym1k3; 08-12-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:13 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by sybir
I think this was a great event. I can't thank all the volunteers enough, and what issues did come up were addressed quickly and with everyone considered.

Ray, you're the man. I don't mean to damn others (Gagan, Cliff, jeez, everybody) with faint praise, either - everyone who helped make this a reality - thank you, you are what makes the club awesome.

I don't have any negative feedback, and any constructive feedback falls in the areas already identified with streamlining the raffle, the car show, etc; I think everyone did an awesome job of rolling with punches and making stuff work. I know how hard it is to nail food with the numbers we deal with for prepay and day-of, you guys hit it. That takes a lot of careful planning and it's appreciated.

So proud of this community and the spirit of giving back I saw yesterday.

Like Ray said, don't be shy if you're being constructive. Everything helps.
Honestly... that food thing.... Cliff and Walker killed that one. If it was up to me we probably would have way overspent and had a bunch of waste. The whole group but especially those two worked on the details of the food situation and really hit the nail on the head. The amount of waste was so low it was remarkable. And the only oh crap run made was for ice and condiments. So not to bad. Much props to those two.... and my whole group. Shoulda seen the 4 of us pushing carts and trying to stuff all that stuff in one vehicle. LOL!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:16 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
I think the event went SUPER smoothly. As someone who played judge at a few New Dimensions Audi/VW shows back in the day, this was the best. Other than food lines, lack of a P.A. system for raffle prizes, and the 10:30 traffic arriving in the park, it went as perfect as a huge volunteer based charity show can go. In fact, this probably went better than many for-profit shows I've been to.

Everyone was friendly, had a good time, no one was acting like a fool pulling out of the parking lot at mach 5, and no one wrecked while driving to and from - at least I think not.

The voting was a little messed up. Allowing people to vote 24 hours before a show is silly. I got a text message from my buddy the day before the show saying someone had 600+ votes - THE DAY BEFORE THE SHOW. Who's to say that that guy would even show up? What if his car breaks down, or he gets sick? Then he wins the award for Best of Show and he isn't even there to claim it? Kinda' weird and unfair to the people who prepared their cars and spent time making them look good.

Having actual judges, or having a limit on one vote per person for each paid attendee and another single vote for best of show would be okay. But sadly, as this event proved, even at a charity car show people will cheat and stuff the digital ballot box. I'm not a tech guy, and don't know how in the world you would set that up, either by paper ballots or digitally, but it just seems right. But, again, judges would be best. Having a legit score sheet rating the car on the standard things (body work, wheels/suspension/brakes, engine, interior/I.C.E., and "other" or "overall appearance" would be ideal). Otherwise it does turn into a bit of a social media popularity contest.

The food lines were crazy, but allowing the pre-pays up front was really nice. Having two separate lines might help. Of course, it's hard to plan on things like that when so many people don't prepay, but you guys did a great job of planning ahead. My burger was perfect. I did not go hungry, nor did my wife and friends.

Checking in was easy. Took 5 minutes of waiting in line. That was it. I was directed on where to park, and got to park with my class. I liked that. No mixing and matching of cars. I parked with Fozzies. GC's parked with GC's. Really nicely done. And having the guys showing their cars show up at 8:30 was plenty of time to get them into position. Again, nice work!

Parking direction of the cars could have been better. I would encourage the traffic folks to direct ALL cars to back into their spots. As a photographer and a spectator, that means I get to see the front of all the cars, and while the booty shots are great, most people want to see the front of the cars. So even for the spectators, they should all back their cars into their parking spots.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah the show had some issues but in the end I think the right cars got the right attention.

Nice trick move on the front end by the way. Sneeky dog. Your fozzy looked great.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Being one of the cooks at the BBQ I noticed we didn't have anything to really clean our tools/hands with other then hand sanitizer.

If we are at this spot again next year we should add dish soap/hand soap to the item list. They had that awesome outdoor sink available to use and Melodie ended up using hand sanitizer to clean utensils.

Just a thought.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
I thought event was awesome and went smooth.

However, I noticed a few things.

1. Rules: We need to enforce people in the parking lots or at least have a set of rules. For example, some people would rev their engines, even after told not to.

2. Check-in booth: The original spot next to the show was better than moving it near the pavillion since some couldn't find the check in counter.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:40 PM
General Pimpin'

There was a reason it was moved.

As for people doing stupid stuff. It happens. We just do the best we can to limit it.

Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
I thought event was awesome and went smooth.

However, I noticed a few things.

1. Rules: We need to enforce people in the parking lots or at least have a set of rules. For example, some people would rev their engines, even after told not to.

2. Check-in booth: The original spot next to the show was better than moving it near the pavillion since some couldn't find the check in counter.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by apetron
Being one of the cooks at the BBQ I noticed we didn't have anything to really clean our tools/hands with other then hand sanitizer.

If we are at this spot again next year we should add dish soap/hand soap to the item list. They had that awesome outdoor sink available to use and Melodie ended up using hand sanitizer to clean utensils.

Just a thought.
Agreed. The sink was dope. The sanitary stuff wasn't were it should be. It'll be corrected. Thank you for the input. Hell... I'll buy some stuff next time I go to the store and throw it in the bam box just to make sure we don't screw up and I'll have walker get me some towels.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Car Info: 2004 Forester XT
everything went well this year for the most part, i was supposed to do parking and when that ended it seemed like we could have used more people to help with the food situation so i stepped up. I would say things that need to be worked on is

-more help
-parking sign's or something to direct people because there was a ton of parking closer to the car show area and no one drove down that far to even look for parking
- sign's or a barrier to determain where the car show area and what isnt
Old 08-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Ok let me post up here, but I doubt any of you are going to give a **** what I say...

1)Dissolve the current "BAM" group. Reform under a true non-profit banner with a board of directors made up of 12 people who give a ****, no one person can make rules, it takes a board vote to ratify. Make sure at least one person on said board is from outside the "I-club" groups, and one should be a lawyer.

2)Set a charter, then ratify that. Set term limits for officers, and the "chair" and "vice-chair" rotate every year so no one person gets burned out.

3)Form a team of "1st chairs" to handle things. So you would have a "food 1st chair" and a "raffle 1st chair" and so on. Each 1st chair answers to the board and is responsible for running their section of the event.

I can get much more detailed if you want, but this needs to be done. BAM has gone from being a little "group get together" to something far bigger. Legally and ethically it needs to change from the "single point of control" it is now, to a wider, community sourced event with a true board at its head.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Don't beat yourself up Ray. I'll buy ya a beer anyday.

FWIW what I said as far as my comments in the afternoon/evening I saw those things I mentioned not as problems but opportunities.

I think next year Vendor's who didn't anticipate the need will have better staffing, us definitely being amongst them. My Wife should not have had to babysit our booth and for that I apologize.

OK, now to read everyone else's replies above.

Last edited by TheFozz; 08-12-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:33 PM
General Pimpin'

Overbear... come at it more positive and more people will listen.

I'll address one very small part to show you that we're already building most of what you're talking about...

Red shirts.... i.e. heads of departments.... i.e. the board....

Gagan. Location
Heedz. Parking
Matt. Show
Walker. Food
Cliff. Finances
Steve. Check in.

etc etc etc. Every red shirt was an organizer. The volunteers that got them were volunteers we felt went above and beyond. We made very few. They were not for sale. They are a way for people to find the heads of departments. You need something... find a red shirt.

Oh... and FYI... I pitched mellower versions of what you're saying probably 7 years ago. So i totally agree... maybe not quite so **** about it but the same general idea. So yes I care and yes I read it and yes we're talking about most of that and doing much of it.

That's why the thread is here... input.

Thank you for your input. Don't beat yourself up.

Last edited by OneManArmy; 08-12-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Official: BAM 2013 self improvement thread