Norcal Roadcoarse AutoX Sept 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:32 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx sedan
auto-x vs track days

there are no comparisons people! two weeks ago i went to an hpde at infeneon paid $320 for 5 races and one open track race. ok, so it was a bit pricey but you get way more seat time and you could really see your skills and cars capabilities vs porchese and 500hp cobras. I am a member of scca and have attended autocrosses but, i don't think i will give up a track day for a auto-x....
Old 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM

Car Info: 03 srt4
Yeah, they are 2 different things. You know what...I do both. They are just different. I have a lot of fun at each event. It's like going on different roller coasters. THey are different & you may liek one more than the other,b ut you are still on a roller coaster either way. One has a 2 hour line & one has a 1/2 hour line. Lol. It's all relative.
The nice thing about autoX is it is a lot easier. You go spend the money & time to get to a roadcoarse it is totaly worth it, but it takes a bit more commitment. For one if you go with stock brakes you are screwed after a couple hot laps. In the autoX, it allows a much less setup car to have a blast. I also do my best to get you all lot's of runs. More than the typical autoX. And...if you stay later, the crowd melts away leaving time for lap after lap of good fun.

Thanks for your comments guys. I do plan on have a points sytem maybe for next year. Right now we just have one config that we keep records on for fastest times overall & by type of driveline. Just for fun, but good to know so you can rub it in your buddies face. lol. Hope to see you guys out there.

Sidenote, if you know where I can find some more cones, that would help. On the bigger oval I need a few more to keep things in check. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:07 PM

UPDATE:

A couple sponsors have signed up & will be offering Prizes, awards & a raffle for cool stuff. Things like FREE PARTS, DYNO'S, OIL CHANGES, ETC.
More sponsors will be joining as we get closer. Awards will be given for both track layouts & for overall performers.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by BoxerRumble
Also another suggestion, you should, if people like competition, make this a series event with points and prize at the end of the year. I mean it'll go great on a race car aspiring driver to put down "won 1st place in srtgeezer series". If you can organize something like that, I bet more people would show up.
Boxer, great idea. I do plan on doing something like that next season. This being our first, I wanted to get a few events under our belt. I am keeping track of configuration times & such to keep records for fastest lap on a particular config. Points will be the ultamite goal eventually. My hope is to get you guys out there for a test drive of our setup & keep you coming coming back for more fun. That's what it's all about. I launched our website last night & am now taking registrations. It is a new site so of course it will be changing & getting better, but I wanted something to get started. Go check it out. www.norcalautox.com
Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by code3scooby
there are no comparisons people! two weeks ago i went to an hpde at infeneon paid $320 for 5 races and one open track race. ok, so it was a bit pricey but you get way more seat time and you could really see your skills and cars capabilities vs porchese and 500hp cobras. I am a member of scca and have attended autocrosses but, i don't think i will give up a track day for a auto-x....
code3, you are right. I wouldn't trade a track day for an autoX, but I'm not. I do plenty of track days as well. It's not one or the other. I do both. I have tons of fun at both. AutoX is a tad less pucker factor, but still an *** load of fun.

Opened registration last tuesday & there are 30 cars so far:

86 Ford Mustang
04 Mazda MX-5
03 dodge SRT-4
89 nissan 240sx
06 Chrysler 300 SRT-8
05 Saleen Mustang SC
06 JC srt8
07 Subaru WRX
05 Dodge SRT-4
86 Toyota Corolla SR5
89 honda crx
89 Honda Civic SI
03 dodge srt-4
02/Audi/A4 Avant 3.0
99 2.5 rs
85 Toyota Supra
98 Dodge Neon
03 Dodge SRT4
04 Dodge SRT4
1990 mazda miata
05 Subaru WRX Wagon
2005 Mitsubishi Evo
03 mazdaspeed protege
91mazda miata
95 Mazda Miata
07 mazda mazdaspeed3
06 charger srt-8
02 VW GTI
94 Mazda Miata
05 Mitsu Evo
Old 08-16-2007, 04:11 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
So how many cars on track at once? A single one or multiple ones?

Are there still tons of rocks on the surface like last year's road course oval type racing or have they cleaned that up?

How many runs? Total time (approx.)?

(just questions I would want answered if I were planning on going, but I cant since Im racing at Sears Point that weekend)

Oh and kylemtncruzer never say you'll never race-- I started doing trackdays when I was 16 and 2 years later I was racing. Now 3 years later I'm racing in 2 different classes and instructing for NASA. The $250 cost of your first track day is not an investment in racing but in your driving skills... useful if you ever decide to go racing but also useful on mountain roads and anywhere you drive. I do about 30 days on track per year and they keep my car control skills sharp. It's way better than running mountain roads in terms of your ability to have your car at the limit of adhesion. It doesn't necessarily replace the thrill of it. I still enjoy driving a canyon now and then.

Last edited by resident smurf; 08-16-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
screw autox and track! go-kart FTW! Crash and spin all you want. I love the all you can drive deal too. I've done autox, rallyx, tsd rally, track, and go-kart. I have to say, i love them all and they are all different. but I like them in this order... ($ is a factor) kart, track, tsd rally, rallyx, autox ($ is NOT a factor) track, kart, autox, rallyx, tsd rally.

i believe you learn something different in different kind of event. if you've never done it before, forget the price, give it a go and see how you like it. Until you've done it all, don't call on it so quickly.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:19 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Indoor karting gets old fast, I used to work there. heh. It's fun every once and a while and it's definitely good for brushing up your car control skills.

Outdoor karting and road racing is where it's at, though.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
i always liked Malibu GP just because it was outdoors, even tho the carts were slower i didnt care.

still dont know if i'll do this altamont thing, i really want to...but i dont have the car for it, i know i would get bored...if my miata wasnt broken id take it.

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 08-16-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by resident smurf
So how many cars on track at once? A single one or multiple ones?

Are there still tons of rocks on the surface like last year's road course oval type racing or have they cleaned that up?

How many runs? Total time (approx.)?
Single car at a time. You should get 3 runs per session. 2 session per track configuration. 2 track configurations.

They sweep the coarse with a bobcat before we get out there to drive. Prety clean for the last 2 events.

Both configurations are around 40-45 seconds. They are also geared a tad more toward bigger faster cars than tight little miata's from what I've heard.