No more car meets or drives? New miles driven tax.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM

Car Info: 2011 Subaru WRX Limited Edition
I have just one question. Who is the sob that came up with this proposal? I have a better idea. Cut the wages of all political positions. Impliment all new taxes on them for 10 yrs after which can be implemented throughout the state.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
this will NEVER fly.

This state in general runs on commuting. All this does is punish the "middle" class even more as that's who is forced to commute. We can't afford to say live in a fat house in san jose so in order to provide a home for our families we do things like buy houses where we can... Tracy, Gilroy, Watsonville... and we commute to San Jose, San Francisco, etc.

I used to commute from Watsonville to San Francisco... the commute alone cost me over $10,000 a year. So now you're gonna tax me on top of what I'm already spending? And all the while you're going to do this while filling your pockets with over inflated wages and perks and not provide a travel alternative? **** that.

You want to tax people for commuting by car then you better have a better rail system. BART hasn't been upgraded since 1972. Caltrain is the same technology we've used for 100 years. Muni... what a damn joke. ****'s over crowded, undermanned, old and never on time. Where's our high speed trains? Our modern rails? Etc.

Build those first.... then we'll talk.

Chicagozer. You're a moron.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:13 AM

Car Info: 2012 WRB WRX
Spoken like someone who has had to commute for a long time. I enjoy driving so commuting isn't do bad for me, but if they made it cost more they would make a lot from everyone commuting to Sacramento to stick feet up asses.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Stephen G
I have just one question. Who is the sob that came up with this proposal? I have a better idea. Cut the wages of all political positions. Impliment all new taxes on them for 10 yrs after which can be implemented throughout the state.
California law makers... Cut them ALL. They're the highest paid in the nation and they're full time. We do not need full time law makers.

I personally think that cuts across the boards need to be made. Decrease perks like free cars, free gas and free food for government workers and cut pay 10% across the board. They still make good wages for the services rendered, still have jobs and they're adjusted closer to the current reality of what's available.

It's difficult to pay people these wages when the people paying the taxes aren't making any money.

They're living high off the horse while the horse is not getting fed. Sooner or later the horse is gonna die.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by SubbieMedic
Spoken like someone who has had to commute for a long time. I enjoy driving so commuting isn't do bad for me, but if they made it cost more they would make a lot from everyone commuting to Sacramento to stick feet up asses.
It's a fact of life for most of the state. I currently have the shortest commute I've had in my entire career and it's 25 minutes. My wife commutes 40 minutes in the other direction. So no matter what we do one of us is gonna have a longer commute.

I've had commutes ranging from 25 minutes to 3 hours over my career. Most of us don't have much choice.

Take for example someone that works in San Jose. They make decent wages but not great wages. The average house is say... $540,000 that's within a reasonable distance to he and his wife's work. Now you can buy a house for say $200,000 less in tracy. Yes the commute sucks but you can own a home on reasonable wages. You can't buy that house for $540k because A. you can't afford it and B. you can't get approved for it.

So what is your choice? Rent a dump close to work or live in a house that you own farther away.

That is how MOST of this state operates.

Punishing the working american needs to stop.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:30 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 98eclipseRS
What happens when some of those miles are driven outside of california? It also sounds like they would only be enforcing the tax for driving inside of nine counties around the bay area or at least that's what I got from the article. I understand the state is broke and money needs to come from somewhere but how about cutting back on wasteful spending first? We pay more taxes here than anywhere else in the country. Our income tax is higher, our sales tax is higher, taxes on gas are higher, etc..... The money going in is not the problem anymore, the people making decision on what to do with our money are the problem. But maybe we can spend more millions on a panel to look into the possibility of a high speed train.
For real. And it eliminates recreational driving or traveling to visit family and friends. Tourism would suffer. Everything suffers.

It's VERY short sited. Very.

This kind of thing tries to take advantage of the naive people driving around in prius' thinking they're saving the planet. It forces the average person to shoulder the brunt of guilt for "polluting" the world. While corporations are clear cutting and dumping mass pollutants in to the air at rates we could all be driving 5mpg gross polluters and never make a dent in it.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:33 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
They won't GAIN revenue from this because people and companies will LEAVE THE STATE and it will LOSE revenue. Trust me, if they think this will reduce traffic, they are right, because people will be generating revenue for other states.

Are they going to exempt distribution companies? If not, that will cause EVERY SINGLE ITEM you buy to go up by at least twice whatever the tax penalty is because the cost of distribution goes up.

I own a house that is a lot farther than Tracy and have to rent a place here because there's no way I am commuting 3hrs one way even without this BS proposed tax.

Last edited by 04GG; 07-18-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Car Info: 2015 FXT Stage II
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
For real. And it eliminates recreational driving or traveling to visit family and friends. Tourism would suffer. Everything suffers.

It's VERY short sited. Very.

This kind of thing tries to take advantage of the naive people driving around in prius' thinking they're saving the planet. It forces the average person to shoulder the brunt of guilt for "polluting" the world. While corporations are clear cutting and dumping mass pollutants in to the air at rates we could all be driving 5mpg gross polluters and never make a dent in it.

This. +1.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:41 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 04GG
They won't GAIN revenue from this because people and companies will LEAVE THE STATE and it will LOSE revenue. Trust me, if they think this will reduce traffic, they are right, because people will be generating revenue for other states.

Are they going to exempt distribution companies? If not, that will cause EVERY SINGLE ITEM you buy to go up by at least twice whatever the tax penalty is because the cost of distribution goes up.

I own a house that is a lot farther than Tracy and have to rent a place here because there's no way I am commuting 3hrs one way even without this BS proposed tax.
Just like most of the B.S. that has slid through the last 10 or so years.
Places like Idaho are LOVING us.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by SubbieMedic
Just divide California in half from San Lois obisbo. Charge the rich ****s in SoCal for water and don't deal with their ****. NorCal wins and lives happily ever after.
We already pay for water We haz contract so suck it.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
what i find funny is if you go to Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and AZ, they have Super nice roads and etc. Why? Because they dont waste Tax money on BS, that is only beneficial to the gov..

California... Where did we go wrong? Oh yea, get a MOVIE actor as a government power..
Ronald Regan?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:14 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by sigma pi
ronald regan?
lmao.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Ronald Regan?
LOL!

Seriously... blaming this situation one "Arnold" is retarded. This state was so far gone before he came in.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
LOL!

Seriously... blaming this situation one "Arnold" is retarded. This state was so far gone before he came in.
But im pretty sure when Arnold was in office, he was dumping money out the door like no tomorrow, only to have his name out there, and spending money for stupid propositions.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM

Car Info: himself insane!
LOL!

lol... +1

Quick Reply: No more car meets or drives? New miles driven tax.