NEWSFLASH: Marine helo goes down

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 01:16 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Unhappy NEWSFLASH: Marine helo goes down

A Marine Chopper wend down in Iraq. 3 dead, 1 injured. Which leads me to my question:

Are Army pilots better than Marine/Navy Chopper pilots? The reason that I ask is because the only Army Chopper that has crashed was SHOT DOWN. This Helo that went down was not because of enemy fire.

I bet that many of you aren't aware of the fact that about 80% of Army pilots are ENLISTED (Read NOT college graduates). You have to pass a couple of tests, but you DON'T have to have a college education.

I am of the firm belief that the Enlisted man has about twice the common sense of the commisioned officer, in any service. Could this be the way to man the birds of the future?

I may be going to Ft. Rucker, Alabama next year to learn to be a pilot. If I can get my wife to allow it.

Just a topic for discussion. I know that you prior enlisted men will side with my opinion, for the most part.

Just because a man is educated does not mean that he is intelligent, and vice versa.

Andy
Old 03-30-2003, 01:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!

seems like i am last to know everything
condolences to the families
Old 03-30-2003, 07:02 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
You might have a point Andy. In fact, I still haevn't head the conformation that they shot it down and that it wasn't old footage of one from the last war. Anyways, while I wouldn't say enlisted soldiers have more common sense across the board, it's a lot easier to lose a poor soldier than a poor officer. It takes a helluva lot to lose your commission- as a pilot, you pretty much have to crash something. At least once, sometimes they even let you stay after the first one. And I have always thought it interesting that the Army uses enlisted men as pilots- although combat pilots typically have to graduate warrant officer school as well as flight school. That's what they told me when I applied anyway.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:08 PM

Car Info: 03 sedan 2nd wrx
Well I agree because O's are out of shape anyways and they dont traine as hard as enlisted do. But one thing I never thought of is that all the choppers falling from the sky maybe do to all the sand that is in the dessert and now in the chopper.

But YES Andy you are very correct OTS means crap in the real world! Just my 2cents

Peace - Miguel
Old 03-30-2003, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Yes, army pilots have to become Warrants VIA the Warrant Officer Academy and Warrant Officer Flight Training.

You have a very valid point. It is easier, in the eyes of the brass, to lose an enlisted man. Not that they don't care, but I agree with your statement %100 BAN SUVS.