Network Engineer position at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 10:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Network Engineer position at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab

In the NERSC (National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center) division, where I work at LBNL, there is a position open for a network engineer. At times I work with the network folks and they are top notch network gurus. If you think "I have some network experience" or "Sure, I run the 100 person the network at my dot.com and its DSL uplink" is sufficient experience, this position is probably out of your league. Working at the Lab is an awesome opportunity and everyone here (with the exception of myself) is so smart it makes you ill. The benefits are incredible, the pay is commensurate to industry and its a very professional yet relaxed atmosphere. Job security is far better than working for some micromanaging dot.com overlord. I hope to work here until I retire some 20+ years from now.

Here's the position description. If you are interested send me some E-MAIL.

POSITION SUMMARY

Work as a member of the NERSC Network team under the direction of the Network, Security, and Servers (NAST) Group Leader. Design, build, maintain, monitor, optimize, document and troubleshoot the NERSC local area network and the 10 gigabit ethernet connection to ESnet. Work with NERSC clients to troubleshoot and improve client applications end-to-end performance. Work will be performed at the Oakland Scientific Facility (OSF) off-site location in Oakland, California.
DUTIES

Required -- 1) NERSC network design and implementation: Design and implement the NERSC computing center LAN. Evaluate and specify network hardware and software. Document and keep current the network configuration. 2) Network optimization: Monitor and document the performance of the NERSC network. Work with individual system administrators to optimize data transfers between the NERSC computer systems and the High Performance Storage System. 3) WAN performance: Work closely with ESnet personnel to analyze and optimize WAN performance for NERSC nationwide clients. Work with NERSC clients to troubleshoot and improve client applications end-to-end performance. Consult with NERSC clients nationwide on network performance. 4) Network Security: Configure routers and switches to provide protection but maintain NERSC client access. Work closely with the NERSC Computer Security Analysts to develop, test and implement more secure ways to remotely access NERSC resources. Required for the Computer Systems Engineer IV -- In addition to the Computer Systems Engineer III duties, the Computer Systems Engineer IV will design advanced network scheduling using MPLS tunnels. Serve as the point of contact for the advanced network requirements of NERSC users, document the requirements and propose solutions to meet them. Participate in IEEE or RFC standards. Advocate NERSC high performance computing network requirements to network equipment vendors.
QUALIFICATIONS

Required -- Five or more years experience with high performance TCP/IP local area networks. Expertise with routers, switches and firewalls, especially configuration of Juniper and Cisco routers. Previous experience in a major role in high performance network design and implementation. Previous experience with network optimization and security. Desired -- Familiarity with 10 Gigabit Ethernet, Infiniband, and FreeBSD is desired. Required for the Computer Systems Engineer IV -- In addition to the qualifications for the Computer Systems Engineer III, the Computer Systems Engineer IV will have ten or more years experience with high performance TCP/IP LANS and WANS. Experience in a lead role in high performance network design, implementation and testing including one or more of the following: 10 Gigabit ethernet, Infiniband, Fiberchannel. Experience with cross-team projects.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:58 AM

just out of curiosity..do you know curtis macdonald there? I think he might be one of the server guys.....
Old 05-23-2005, 11:15 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Akira-R
just out of curiosity..do you know curtis macdonald there? I think he might be one of the server guys.....
Not for NERSC. Perhaps he is in another division. There's about 5000 employes at the lab, maybe 100 in NERSC, and I know about 98 of them
Old 05-23-2005, 11:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
darn, too bad they're not looking for an OS internals kernel hack. :-)
Old 05-23-2005, 12:40 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
5 years of tech support has me burnt.
Let me know if they ever have a junior opening.

http://slakin.net/resume/
Old 05-23-2005, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mcdrama
5 years of tech support has me burnt.
Let me know if they ever have a junior opening.

http://slakin.net/resume/
this isn't tech support - way more fun if you got the skilz
Old 05-23-2005, 03:02 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by mmboost
this isn't tech support - way more fun if you got the skilz
I've got skills, just no formal title of being a systems or network admin. =\
Old 05-23-2005, 03:10 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mcdrama
I've got skills, just no formal title of being a systems or network admin. =\
If you've done the work, the titles not important for applying
Old 05-23-2005, 03:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
they still dont have any security guys there do they.. haha cracks me up..
Old 05-23-2005, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
they still dont have any security guys there do they.. haha cracks me up..
what? With all the gov/edu in the US and EU this past 12 months, NERSC has been basically untouched. We've got some great security guys here. I can't speak for Cal or LBL in general, but NERSC has been able to keep its head over the water line with regards to security.