Need TV Advice...Paging Dr Gagan.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Wrxneffect
Another quick question for you Gagan,

What blueray player do you recommend? You work for a company that makes a blueray player, right?
I worker for the company that makes players for "ballers" lol... freaking Soundwave

It all depends on your budget, and what you are looking for. How are you planning to connect the player?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I worker for the company that makes players for "ballers" lol... freaking Soundwave

It all depends on your budget, and what you are looking for. How are you planning to connect the player?
I was thinking HDMI. Just planning to use it to play movies and that's about it. Looks like I need research more.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Old School

I was thinking HDMI. Just planning to use it to play movies and that's about it. Looks like I need research more.
Then no need to looks for crazy analog sound quality, you should be looking mainly for good operation and ease of use, good video quality (esp with DVD), and something that fits your budget.

Budget is most important, set one and stick to it.

How big is your TV again? If it's over 50-60", then DVD reproduction begins to suffer, and good upconversion helps offset this. This is something we specialize in, which is why our players are so well revered and reviewed. If DVD playback is mostly on the back burner, you will still get what I would call solid picture quality from most any bluray player on the market.

PS3 has easily the most value. It's very future proof, fast to load, plays games as well, and has been software updated beyond what anyone thought it could do.

Are there features that you are looking for? Netflix streaming or 3D perhaps? Maybe you like it when a player is just simple, and just simply works... no frills.

Yes, take your time and do your homework.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 AM

Wow just read a review on the BDP-83 player and even though I don't think I need all those features I feel like I should buy one...lol

Don't think I can take advantage of the true 24p playback as the TV I want doesn't have 24P (gotta check the specs again) but the SACD seems interesting. Also like the fact that one can turn off the front display. Never thought about that but that would be nice for those late night movie watching nights where all I would want is just the TV emitting light.

If your company ever has any B-stock of this player let me know...lol

Last edited by Wrxneffect; 07-15-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: To beg Gagan for B-stock
Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Old School

Wow just read a review on the BDP-83 player and even though I don't think I need all those features I feel like I should buy one...lol

Don't think I can take advantage of the true 24p playback as the TV I want doesn't have 24P (gotta check the specs again) but the SACD seems interesting. Also like the fact that one can turn off the front display. Never thought about that but that would be nice for those late night movie watching nights where all I would want is just the TV emitting light.

If your company ever has any B-stock of this player let me know...lol
You're buying a new S2 right? You can use 24p, or, I should say, if the TV can do 96Hz playback of 24p, then yes.

Honestly, the BDP-80 would be just fine. I use one at home for testing, and DVDs still look good, mostly cause even on our lowest player the up conversion is pretty good, keeps the DVD quality.

Try one for 30 days, return it if you're not happy.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
You're buying a new S2 right? You can use 24p, or, I should say, if the TV can do 96Hz playback of 24p, then yes.

Honestly, the BDP-80 would be just fine. I use one at home for testing, and DVDs still look good, mostly cause even on our lowest player the up conversion is pretty good, keeps the DVD quality.

Try one for 30 days, return it if you're not happy.
I'm planning on getting the 65" S2. Specs say that it can't do 24p Cinematic playback but it can do 24p playback (2:3). Does 2:3 mean that the TV is converting the 24 fps to 60 fps?

Return policy you say...I just might give it a shot.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Old School

I'm planning on getting the 65" S2. Specs say that it can't do 24p Cinematic playback but it can do 24p playback (2:3). Does 2:3 mean that the TV is converting the 24 fps to 60 fps?

Return policy you say...I just might give it a shot.

Thanks!
Yes, that would mean 60hz. (which is what my TV does... looks fine.) If it doesn't do 96Hz, then you can just set the player to 1080P60, and call it a day.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Gagan,

On your company's website it says that the BDP-80 is not recommended for "home theaters with large screens". What is considered a larger screen? Is your company talking about huge projection home theater installations? What size TV falls into "small" medium" and "large"?