Need a protune: EQ tuning VS GST

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Smile Need a protune: EQ tuning VS GST

Ok, I'm done installing parts on my rex. Not much, just standard vf30 setup. All done except for BCS, which I will install right before the tune. Nothing like installing all the parts yourself and see all working well.

I have questions for bay area community. Where would you take your ride to get protune? Mike at GST or EQ tuning? (I did my search. Both seems to be good.)

I know many are against road tuning here - due to safety issue. If that is so, why is EQ tuning so popular?

Is Mike that great at tuning? I know he is good at customer service....

Just want some feedback before I spend 250-350 on protune.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:45 AM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
I went to Mike and he did a good job on my tune, but for my next tune i will be testing out the road tune. just my .02
Old 08-20-2008, 07:34 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by willow

Is Mike that great at tuning? I know he is good at customer service....
Considering that Mike tunes the fastest AWD time attack car in the country, and that other professional race teams come to him for dyno work-I would say that yes, he is "that great at tuning".

At the same time EQ Ed's a great guy and I'm sure he also does a very good job at tuning, at least I haven't heard anyone complain.

I'd go to either one without hesitation, probably based on what I plan to do with it- for competition applications I think I would want the precision and repeatability you can only get on a dyno so I'd hit GST without thinking about it, while for a car that I'd use on the street/backroads I'd trust Ed to get things dialed in.

But since I'm running a totally stock motor and ECU, I haven't had the need for a tuning and neither of them have tweaked my car in that way.

Although GST did just perform major gearbox surgery and a few other fixes on my car, and you are right- Mike, Greg and everyone at GST are really great with the customer service!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 AM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
I knew Ed before he was famous

I've been running an EQ Tuning Pro Tune for 3 or so years, not long after the ProTuner was released. Have been very happy with results and it's been very consistent, whether daily driving or auto-x.

I doubt you could go wrong either way, but Ed's my man when it comes to tuning.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
I predict many PMs coming your way.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 AM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
ed does open source tuning whereas GST does not
Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I'd say you'd be better off doing your own research. Both guys have a lot of fans.

I'd go Mike. But that's just me.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 2002
Where is EQ Tuning located?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:35 AM

They are both good, I'd go to EQ tuning only because GST spent 25 minutes or less tuning my fp green, and then due to sluggish performance I had EQ retune it.EQ spent a a good 2.5 hrs on it and made it way better.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 AM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
They are both good, I'd go to EQ tuning only because GST spent 25 minutes or less tuning my fp green, and then due to sluggish performance I had EQ retune it.EQ spent a a good 2.5 hrs on it and made it way better.
o rly???
Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 AM

Car Info: .
Do a search, search on iwsti too, some relevant stuff has been posted there too.

I currently have a EQ tune and I'm quite pleased.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
something tells me this is not the full and complete story.

As per this thread... like I said before. Do some research. Threads like this turn in to he said she said biased **** tossing events. I don't want to see either of these guys put through that... AGAIN...
Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 AM

I've been running Ed's (EQ Tuning) maps for almost 3 years now with no problems (91 and 100 octane maps). Use them for daily driving and rallyx and I'm still a very satisfied customer. I wouldn't hesitate to hit him up again.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by psoper
But since I'm running a totally stock motor and ECU, I haven't had the need for a tuning and neither of them have tweaked my car in that way.
Pete - I don't know about a stock WRX, but a ProTune on a stock STi was a definitely a noticeable difference. Boost response was night and day.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
i've had both tune my car at different stages of mods. Both Ed, and Mike have great customer service.

In terms of tuning, there was some weird things happening with wastegate duty cycle under high load(driving over highway 17) on my car when mike(at the time w/ Gruppe-S) tuned my car and was never able to fix the severe boost flux I was experiencing.
I turned to EQ Tuning and he resolved the issue without any changes to the pill Mike had installed. Once that was done and fixed I came back to Ed for a tune with a GM boost solenoid which was great, then back again to switch to a manual boost controller.

This was my experience, and just my 2 cents. if you're geographically closer to one more than the other I would choose that one. If one of them will do OSS and you want to learn a bit about OSS tuning and really work close with your tuner I would choose that, but that is my preference. OSS is nice because the following is getting bigger and the documentation and base maps available are getting better.

Last edited by mattsn0w; 08-20-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Need a protune: EQ tuning VS GST