Need Computer Help (Virus?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:37 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Need Computer Help (Virus?)

My PC is for some reason completely filling the C Drive... with files I can't find.
I've uninstalled two VERY large video games and am still bumping up against the low memory warning.
I've pulled pretty much everthing off the C drive except program files and can't find anything that's using up the damn space.

Trendmicro finds nothing

Help
Old 03-22-2011, 06:45 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
try malwarebytes or go find to kaspersky and downlaod the rescue disc its a live cd that will scan for virus straight from the disc
Old 03-22-2011, 07:27 PM

Is that gonna bang heads with the Trend Micro?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
+ another for malwarebytes

i run that with AVG
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
malwareytes will be fine with trendmicro is the background
Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 AM

I ran Malwarebytes and it found a couple of things:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Ext\Settings\{BEAC7DC8-E106-4C6A-931E-5A42E7362883} (Adware.GameVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Ext\Stats\{BEAC7DC8-E106-4C6A-931E-5A42E7362883} (Adware.GameVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Ext\Stats\{0ED403E8-470A-4A8A-85A4-D7688CFE39A3} (Adware.Gamevance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DOWNLOADER.DownloaderCtrl.1 (Adware.2020search) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
The systems appears stable now, but the memory is still close to full. I have a feeling there are a bunch of hidden junk files somewhere. The C programfiles directory just has an Electronic Arts folder... basically nothing in it.

Any ideas where to look for the junk?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
One of the programmers at adobe designed a program to just that, let me see if I can get it from him today and I'll give it to you.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware won't help you get a whole lot of space back. There's literal junk files in your C: partition and those aren't going to delete it. Download and run CCleaner.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
im surprised no has suggested that it might be the swap files used by the games you have installed.

Games will cache data on disk if there is insufficient ram (so will your OS) and this could lead to low memory warnings. the same thing can happen if you are playing back a large video file from an external source.

how full is the drive? you will see performance degradation when a conventional platter based drive goes over about 60% full anyway....
Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 PM

Tried reinstalling windows XP and got the BSOD

Grabbed the camera when the BSOD came up

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lowend
Tried reinstalling windows XP and got the BSOD

Grabbed the camera when the BSOD came up

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
well, it says you b0rked one of your system files. Usually nv type files stand for NVidia, so somehow your display drivers got screwed up when you tried to reinstall windows. If it lets you, boot into safe mode (preferrably with networking) and then uninstall your NVidia driver and reinstall it.

Out of curiosity, why did you try to reinstall windows? I really believe it was as simple as downloading and running CCleaner...

***To anyone who doesn't know a whole lot about computers***

Reformatting (AKA wiping your C: drive and reinstalling Windows) should be a LAST RESORT! Multiple times in threads with people asking for help, it has been suggested. It shouldn't be taken lightly, and if you don't know what the hell you're doing, then DON'T DO IT.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 AM

I ran Malwarebyes and it found a few items (see above) CC Cleaner seemed like it would be redundant. With super limited memory (less than 500mb) I have to be careful about what I put on the computer. Everything I install something right now I have to pull something else off.

I'll check tonight and see if the thing will boot in safe mode.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lowend
I ran Malwarebyes and it found a few items (see above) CC Cleaner seemed like it would be redundant. With super limited memory (less than 500mb) I have to be careful about what I put on the computer. Everything I install something right now I have to pull something else off.

I'll check tonight and see if the thing will boot in safe mode.
CCleaner is not an anti-virus or malware scanner, it's not redundant. I wouldn't have advised you to use it if it was another anti-virus or anti-malware. What it does is look for excessive files you have (such as old cookies that you never use from browsing websites), brings them to your attention them, and asks if you want to delete them. I just retrieved over 2 gigs of space (My C: Partition is only 10 gbs) from my when I was having this problem about a month ago.

Also, it's a whopping 3.5mb program. Anyway, let me know if you can get into safe mode and reinstall your display driver (not sure how that's going to work, if it's been a PITA to install stuff, since display drivers are kinda big)
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
CCleaner is not an anti-virus or malware scanner, it's not redundant. I wouldn't have advised you to use it if it was another anti-virus or anti-malware. What it does is look for excessive files you have (such as old cookies that you never use from browsing websites), brings them to your attention them, and asks if you want to delete them. I just retrieved over 2 gigs of space (My C: Partition is only 10 gbs) from my when I was having this problem about a month ago.

Also, it's a whopping 3.5mb program. Anyway, let me know if you can get into safe mode and reinstall your display driver (not sure how that's going to work, if it's been a PITA to install stuff, since display drivers are kinda big)
Don't you love it when people ask for advice and then ignore it
Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
1) open up your C drive
2) make sure you can view your hidden files (click on tools, folder options, then the view tab, then make sure the bubble next to "show hidden files and folders" is checked)
3) go to c:\documents and settings
4) double click your user name
5) open up the local settings folder
6) open up the temp folder
7) delete everything in that folder
8) go back to the local settings folder
9) open up temporary internet files
10) delete everything in that temp internet files folder
11) go back to the C drive
12) right click each folder and click on properties, looking for the folder with the most stuff in it
13) if you see a folder that is using alot of memory, open that folder and repeat process until you can boil it down to which folder or program is using up space, then uninstall/delete as necessary.
14) Do not just delete anything that takes up alot of space. Only that "temp" folder and "temporary internet files " folder are safe to delete anything inside it. Other folders might contain files that your program needs.