I've used:

Hawk HPS
Hawk HP+
Carbotech Bobcats
Carbotech Panther Plus
Axxis Metal Masters
Axxis Ultimates
Colbalt Friction GTs

Of all the above, I always slap the ultimates back in. The work the best cold, the best warm (Christian couldn't get them to overheat at T-Hill, and that on Race Rubber), and work so reliably day in and day out, i just can't believe how good they are.

But that's just me. They are the best bang for buck pad out there.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:05 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I used to run the axxis religiously on my civic but I have gotten my hawk pads for cheap so I run those. Maybe I'll try the axxis again.

I will say this... the hawk hp+ are rotor eaters.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:30 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I will say this... the hawk hp+ are rotor eaters.
Are the HPS just as bad?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Don't think so.

I just noticed that the hp+'s did a number on my rotors. If they pick up any flaws, dirt, rocks, build up, etc... they grooved really bad. My DBA's got a really bad groove in them. I had them turned and they're grooving again but I'm honestly starting to wonder if something in my caliper is contacting the rotor.

They're great pads. Just my personal experience.

And do yourself a favor and don't get cheap rotors. If you're gonna go cheaper get stock ones or brembo blanks. If you're going slotted get quality rotors like DBA.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I've used:

Hawk HPS
Hawk HP+
Carbotech Bobcats
Carbotech Panther Plus
Axxis Metal Masters
Axxis Ultimates
Colbalt Friction GTs

Of all the above, I always slap the ultimates back in. The work the best cold, the best warm (Christian couldn't get them to overheat at T-Hill, and that on Race Rubber), and work so reliably day in and day out, i just can't believe how good they are.

But that's just me. They are the best bang for buck pad out there.
I've gone through all the same pads except the Cobalts and the Axxis Ultimates are by far my favorite. The ONLY potential drawback is that they dust... but its not the type of dust that fuses to your wheels, it just washes right off. Otherwise, they stop better than anything else I've tried, work great in a huge range of temperatures, cost less than most other pads, and make my rotors last forever. I think I'm on my 4th set of Ultimates now.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 PM

Car Info: 06 GDB dirty white
any local shops that sell DBA? im also in the market for rotor upgrades.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I've gone through all the same pads except the Cobalts and the Axxis Ultimates are by far my favorite. The ONLY potential drawback is that they dust... but its not the type of dust that fuses to your wheels, it just washes right off. Otherwise, they stop better than anything else I've tried, work great in a huge range of temperatures, cost less than most other pads, and make my rotors last forever. I think I'm on my 4th set of Ultimates now.

speak for yourself!

I have little drops of liquid Axxis pad bonded to insides of my wheels. I use a screw driver to chip them off
Old 12-09-2008, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Ive been searching for this myself. It looks like Wheeldude has the Axis Ultimate pads and Powerslot rotors for pretty good prices.

Can anyone comment on how the Powerslot rotors would hold up compared to the STi Brembos?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 PM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
i neeed some new rotors and pads also. thx for all teh info!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:13 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
My current rotors have a 2 mm lip on the outside of them from my Hawks.

Originally Posted by slugrx
+1 for axxis..i like my brake dust, i have cool colored wheels now
haha yeah...i dont care when people write stuff in the dust on my car...just dont fingerprint my brake dust! once you wipe off your brake dust, it forces you to clean your whole wheel x 4

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 12-09-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 PM

Car Info: Fail Wheel Drive DC5
centric rotors (aka stoptech) and axxis pads for street duty is what I run.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:39 AM

I know you're looking for budget friendly parts but when you're ready to do more track days and still want a daily driver, I've been very happy with Ferrodo 2500 pads on slotted Brembos. I'm a coach at Thunderhill Raceway and have used this combination on my '04 STi since it was nearly new. There is a bit of dusting but it will easily blow off with an air hose (about 95%). But the biggest advantage is in the performance. I warped my stock Brembo front rotors on my second track day back in 2004 and replaced them with the slotted version. I think they're called "Sport" or "GT" by Brembo. I also had a set of 2500 pads an slotted rotors kryoed and they lasted a very long time.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:11 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by DetailAddict
where about are you in the bay? There is Speed Element in Fremont if you are near by... Give them a call and they can make some suggestions for you.
Speed Element was a good suggestion, today I'm picking up front and rear Axxis Ultimates for $150. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:18 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Cool deal.

I decided on using Carbotech AX6 pads F/R, they said it'd be a lil dusty, but the bite should be more than worth it. I wash the wheels once a week and drive "adventurously" once a week, so it shouldn't be that bad.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/ for your future consideration.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:10 PM

I have had DBA 5000 2 piece rotors with stock brembo pads for over 15K and they are still in great condition! It's amazing that the pads are about 1/2 worn and I don't see any grooves on the rotors yet. But all I do is clean my wheels every 2 weeks or so! My next rotors to try out are the Girodisc 2 piece rotors with HPS pads that I have sitting in my garage. It's a good thing that the Girodisc rotors can fit both bolt patterns of the STI. Maybe these rotors will go on my next car(08 STI).

Quick Reply: Need brake pad/rotor advice.