i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Need brake pad/rotor advice. (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/need-brake-pad-rotor-advice-195780/)

saqwarrior 12-04-2008 01:24 PM

Need brake pad/rotor advice.

I originally posted this question in the Suspension/Handling/Brakes section, but no one has offered any suggestions or opinions. :( Since BAIC has always been really helpful anytime I've asked for advice in the past, I'm coming to you all for help. Hopefully this doesn't break a site rule about cross-posting or something. Anyway, here's my question:

I've been making use of the search function and couldn't really find a straight answer to this. I'm in need of replacing the stock pads and possibly the rotors on my '06 STI. I know that if I go with factory parts it'll run me a pretty penny, so I was curious as to what some reasonable options were.

The car is my daily driver, pretty much used only for commuting and maybe once a week I'll take it up into the Santa Cruz mountains at a spirited clip for an hour or two. No drag racing, no auto-x, etc. I also just got a set of Falken Azenis RT-615 tires put on it, if that is relevant.

My search yielded the following recommendations:
Pilenga rotors
Hawk HPS pads
Axxis pads

Thing is, the threads I pulled those suggestions from weren't for an STI, so I don't know how applicable they are to my situation.

My friend that manages Safety Check Automotive in Santa Clara is a nut for factory parts, but he offered Centric as an alternative.

Any advice is super appreciated--thanks!

rau 12-04-2008 01:26 PM

Girodisc rotors
Hawk HPS pads

:tia:

DetailAddict 12-04-2008 01:32 PM

where about are you in the bay? There is Speed Element in Fremont if you are near by... Give them a call and they can make some suggestions for you.

OneManArmy 12-04-2008 01:38 PM

brembo blanks and Hawk pads.

saqwarrior 12-04-2008 01:43 PM

[QUOTE=DetailAddict;2439745]where about are you in the bay? There is Speed Element in Fremont if you are near by... Give them a call and they can make some suggestions for you.[/QUOTE]

I'm in San Jose... I should probably put that in my profile. I'll check Speed Element, thanks!

Speed Element 12-04-2008 01:47 PM

Pilenga is a great blank replacement and doesnt cost a ton. You can also go with Centric blanks which are a little more expensive, but the fins and center hat has a black coating.

For street I'd go Hawk HPS or Axxis. The Hawks are a little rougher on the rotor, but dont dust. Axxis is a better stopper, but dust a lot.

joltdudeuc 12-04-2008 01:53 PM

If you are looking for low dust then get the Hawk HPS pads. If you want outright performance for street, daily and spirited driving, get the Axxis Ultimates.

slugrx 12-04-2008 01:58 PM

+1 for axxis..i like my brake dust, i have cool colored wheels now

OneManArmy 12-04-2008 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=joltdudeuc;2439763]If you are looking for low dust then get the Hawk HPS pads. If you want outright performance for street, daily and spirited driving, get the Axxis Ultimates.[/QUOTE]

I liked my axxis pads but I don't know if I'd say they outperformed my HPS plus pads. Did less damage to my rotors.

KOSTI 12-04-2008 03:08 PM

saqwarrior, great post!

I am actually in need of some new pad and I'm wondering the options myself.

Thanks for the info folks

pillowball 12-04-2008 05:44 PM

I usually go to importrp.com for Brembo blanks and Axxiss Ultimates. Good prices on excellent parts. I run this set-up (along with braided lines) on the street and on track days with no fade issues.

I am not a representative of importrp, for the record.

STi-owns-evo 12-05-2008 12:55 AM

I'm still with stock cuz I got some pads for dirt cheap.

However, my brother likes Carbotech bobcats for daily.

Lorry 12-05-2008 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=DetailAddict;2439745]where about are you in the bay? There is Speed Element in Fremont if you are near by... Give them a call and they can make some suggestions for you.[/QUOTE]

+1 for SE. Good prices, local, friendly, what more could you want?

walt 12-05-2008 10:25 AM

Hawk HPS pads.

GiroDisc 2-piece rotors--their rear kit with slightly larger rotors should be ready soon,and I have it on order.

PaulSTI 12-05-2008 10:28 AM

I recommend DBA rotors and Works Blue pads.

[url]http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=76&products_id=413[/url]

I have the pads on my STI and they're amazing. Grabby but smooth and don't dust my nice gold wheels.