Need advice on buying Impact gun and floor jack

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Car Info: AW STI 05
Need advice on buying Impact gun and floor jack

so im getting ready to purchase a impact gun and i want to go cordless, my question to all the people on here is what is a good brand to go with thats not real expensive... most of the usage will be on suspension and motor work on the STI.

my next question is i saw that harbor freight has a nice low profile jack for sale and was wondering if thats a good deal or not, if not what floor jacks are everyone using that seems to work pretty good... this is the link to the jack i was considering...
Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump® Jack
Old 09-30-2012, 07:55 PM

Car Info: 2002 sedan sti swap high on meth
How big of a impact are you looking to get? I use a 1/4 inch Makita with a 3/8s chuck like its goin out of style. Breaks most small stiff loose. If it won't break loose I break it loose by hand and use the impact to spin it out. I use it more hen my 3/8 snap on air impact or 1/2 air. I also use it for wheels and follow with a torque wrench. The only problem is there isn't one cordless impact that will do it all. Most small impacts won't break big stuff loose but trying to use a big impact on small stuff is awkward. But for all around usage I like the Makita or dewaldt lithium 1/4 inch impacts
Old 09-30-2012, 08:03 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Absolutely DO NOT get a jack from harbor freight. A jack is one of those things you do not skimp on since it could kill you. I bought one and the first two times I used it, it bled out and dropped down slowly. I always use jack stands so it wasn't a problem. When I returned it, they said it was common for them to fail and there were a few others sitting there already.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by 04GG
Absolutely DO NOT get a jack from harbor freight. A jack is one of those things you do not skimp on since it could kill you. I bought one and the first two times I used it, it bled out and dropped down slowly. I always use jack stands so it wasn't a problem. When I returned it, they said it was common for them to fail and there were a few others sitting there already.
I disagree. unless you are willing to spend hundreds all the rest of the jacks are pretty much the same. I have a harbor freight 2 ton aluminum and I love it. I researched for months and people say the standard stuff:
1) dont buy harbor freight its crap buy craftsman instead
2) dont buy craftsman its crap buy harbor freight
3) buy costco(which is essentially the same as the HF one)
Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I have a Harbor Freight jack and it has been putting out for years.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 PM

Car Info: 2002 sedan sti swap high on meth
I use a harbor freight jack to keep in my car. I also always use jackstands. Never trust any jack with out jackstands
Old 09-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I also always use stands.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:53 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Make sure you at least read reviews of the products. Ive read reviews of the 3 ton jack HF has and it seems to be outstanding. Im planning on picking up one since my 3 ton is about past its prime.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
I don't like the HF aluminum jack. Mine seems underpowered and the bolts are always coming loose. It's also a royal pain when trying to release the pressure when the car's weight is on it.

There are much better jacks out there for the same price. Get one with a steel body.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
I have a low profile HF jack. Almost immediately I had a problem with the bleeder screw. Refilled the hydraulic fluid and made sure it was tight. Been using it now for well over 5 years. Never had a problem. I know OneManArmy bought the Craftsman and his broke.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Originally Posted by jdblock
I don't like the HF aluminum jack. Mine seems underpowered and the bolts are always coming loose. It's also a royal pain when trying to release the pressure when the car's weight is on it.

There are much better jacks out there for the same price. Get one with a steel body.
Well the aluminum jack would be a good jack to keep inside the car. I have the 2 ton steel HF jack and it is heavy. But I only use it at home, also hasn't given me any issues yet.

As for a impact gun, if you're looking for a cordless electrical one. I have heard great things about Makita.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I had the aluminum one and it never felt stable for this car and it was a bit short, but I actually didn't have any bleeding problems with it. I wasn't comfortable with it because it seemed like it wasn't enough lifting weight so I sold it and bought the 3 ton HF. The 3 ton is the one that failed. My dad has one from a quality company and has only had to replace the fluid a few times in over 15 years. I bought an Omega 3 ton based on a recommendation here and the thing is so ridiculously over built that I don't know why I didn't have one before. I read reports saying you had to bleed and adjust the HF jacks before using them and that sounds like total BS. The Omega says you do not need to adjust or service their jack aside from replacing the fluid every few years. I also never had to adjust or bleed any of my previous jacks. Of course, you aren't going to want to carry this thing around because is definitely not light. This is the one I bought. Not bad since it included another set of jack stands:

Amazon Amazon

Craftsman's inexpensive (cheap) jacks aren't much better, but you have a lifetime warranty. I actually bought the extended warranty with the HF jack because it was only like $15, otherwise they said I would have been SOL.

Last edited by 04GG; 10-01-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
HF aluminum jack . I've used mine for 11 years now. No problems other that the nut of the big roller wheel loosening up. Never had a problem with lowering it either with the weight of the car on it. Just turn the bar slowly.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:52 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
I got rid of my Craftsman and went with the Tire Rack Aluminum Service Jack.

Tire Rack Aluminum Service Jack

The Craftsman worked great for me and never let me down, but that thing was HEAVY! I decided I wanted an Aluminum Jack to get something easier to move around rather than having something that probably weighed in at over 100 lbs like the Craftsman Floor Jack I had.

The only downside to the Tire Rack Jack is that I still need to use the scissor jack to just barely raise the car enough to give the clearance needed to get the Tire Rack Jack under my car (Lowered on Swift Spec R Springs so it isn't all that low in comparison to some other cars out there on lower springs or lower Coilover settings).

Even with that small downside, I would definitely recommend the Tire Rack Jack.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by 04GG
I guess I should have died a decade ago

Quick Reply: Need advice on buying Impact gun and floor jack