my seemingly shady encounter with san leandro pd

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:18 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
No need to talk about all police officers. The reality is most traffic cops are scumbag ****heads that failed highschool and abuse their power for fun because it's all they have. **** half of them probably break the law driving drunk twice a week. Anyways the real reason people hate cops is because when one does something totally ****ed up, there is always some douchebag who sticks up for them in some idiotic way (usually a cop or family member). About the only "group" in this day and age that admits nearly zero fault or responsibility, resulting in things never changing for the better.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:28 PM

Car Info: 2013 STI Limited and 1998 Legacy GT Wagon
Legitimate traffic stop and legitimate citation. Unfortunately it sounds like you just had to deal with rude cops and/or an officer in field training.

There are a lot of bad people that roll with paper plates to maintain anonymity while conducting whatever dirt-bag things they're doing, especially places like San Leandro/Oakland area. Based on your info, you're driving a car that's almost 10 years old, so having paper plates is unusual, and that's was the police see.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
Originally Posted by fx4me2
Legitimate traffic stop and legitimate citation. Unfortunately it sounds like you just had to deal with rude cops and/or an officer in field training.

There are a lot of bad people that roll with paper plates to maintain anonymity while conducting whatever dirt-bag things they're doing, especially places like San Leandro/Oakland area. Based on your info, you're driving a car that's almost 10 years old, so having paper plates is unusual, and that's was the police see.

what about in my wifes situation? granted it was slightly late in the evening at 10:30pm.

"My wife actually got pulled over Saturday night by SLPD, brand new audi with dealer plates (car is less than 1 month old), pulled her over for no plates and asked for the temp one from the windshield, when she was trying to pull it off they said never mind and just left. whole ordeal lasted around 5 minutes asking where she is coming from and going to."
Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by fx4me2

ding ding ding.

Thank you for having a brain.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 2013 STI Limited and 1998 Legacy GT Wagon
Originally Posted by kspek
what about in my wifes situation? granted it was slightly late in the evening at 10:30pm.

"My wife actually got pulled over Saturday night by SLPD, brand new audi with dealer plates (car is less than 1 month old), pulled her over for no plates and asked for the temp one from the windshield, when she was trying to pull it off they said never mind and just left. whole ordeal lasted around 5 minutes asking where she is coming from and going to."
There were probably looking for drunk drivers based on how they asked those questions. They realized she was sober and let you go. That'd be my guess.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by kspek

What exactly are you asking?

They probably couldn't see who was in the car when they popped the lights. They made the stop. Felt her out. Let her go.

Seems reasonable and like it supports what he said.

I've been pulled over like that. Bunch of times actually. I used to work security at a bar. Meaning I was leaving bar infested areas at 2:30am. They'd pull me over. Essentially so they could get a whiff of me. They'd ask me a few questions. Same deal. Where you going. WHere you been. WHy you out at 2:30am. Anything to drink. Oh you just got off work. O.k. Cool. Drive safe.

Honestly... I'd rather have them do that and bug a few people than not do it and end up with some drunk idiot killing someone.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Car Info: 06 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Honestly... I'd rather have them do that and bug a few people than not do it and end up with some drunk idiot killing someone.
Agree! If you don't have anything to hide let them do they're thing and then be on your way.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:00 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by iBoost_
Agree! If you don't have anything to hide let them do they're thing and then be on your way.

Dude... I got a ticket up in your neck of the woods for illegal tires.

I kid you not. I was up by lake berryessa. Got pulled over and popped for no front plates and illegal tires.

They were RE070's that were damned near brand new. LOL!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:23 PM

Car Info: 06 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Dude... I got a ticket up in your neck of the woods for illegal tires. I kid you not. I was up by lake berryessa. Got pulled over and popped for no front plates and illegal tires. They were RE070's that were damned near brand new. LOL!
What agency was it? Sheriffs usually don't care about car mods, it's CHP that you gotta watch out for.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM

Car Info: Nadda
People will have views of others or experiences and create generalizations/stereotypes. This can either reassert your idea or do the opposite. The bad seeds always screw it up for the rest. The difference with this particular issue is that cops can **** with your rights (and actually anyone with money can really bend/break the law) versus other cases where someone just can't arrest you for being a jerkoff or stating your own mind and then "add-on" to the list of laws you broke.

Cops need probable cause, but talking to them or even not talking to them gives them a way to come up with something else. It is annoying to see videos of dudes who won't roll down their window and answer any questions, then some LEO asks them to pull over for 30minutes of questioning while exercising your rights...

I mean if you're obeying the law and exercising your rights, why do cops need to second guess? That's the innate nature & assumption that cops get subconsciously trained to use. You basically have to bend over to Brother in Blue when they ask you questions versus following the constitution. Makes LEOs more powerful and citizens are just too lazy to fight it... and when you gain power, you never give it up, it only grows. Ask Obama about the Patriot Act.

Last edited by iLoqin; 01-28-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:19 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Yall should just move to santa cruz. I dont think a cop has even looked twice at my 20%.

I pulled up next to one with an open midpipe too. No muffler and exited under the car. Besides being loud as hell it was illegal anyways.
Not a glance even when I pulled away.

Been pulled over once in town for driving too fast up capitola rd from the village and was over the yellow lines in the cops lane. I was very polite even tho he was pissed the **** off for almost hitting him.

Ended up letting me off with a verbal warning since I was a block away from home.

Believe me they are profiling more than just your car lol. Thats just a bonus in new city revenue!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
You can be polite enough to roll down your window and speak to LEOs like respectable human beings and still flex your constitutional rights.

I'm embarrassed to say that I can probably get away with this to a further extent than some because of some of the racial prejudices in this country, but even when I associate with less than trustworthy looking people I've been let go dozens of times just for being polite and direct.

I've also been pulled out of my car, forcefully, handcuffed and thrown on the curb during a training stop at 2AM in downtown SJ (assumed drunk). If I decided to kick, scream, and make a scene about it I would have given them proper cause to treat me like a criminal. Instead, I asked the guy to call his supervisor, who just happened to be sitting in the passenger seat of their cruiser (which is why I assume it was a training stop). The soup looked me over, radioed my name and address in while he took the cuffs off, made the trainee apologize for his obviously inappropriate behavior, and let me go without even checking my driver's license/registration. All that despite the fact that my passenger at the time was an intoxicated felon and currently on parole.

They got you. You had no plates and tinted windows. It sucks, but the cost of living in this state is submitting to it's rules. Encounters with the people enforcing those rules are NOT the time to argue whether or not they are fair or reasonable, that should be done in a court with a judge whose job it is to JUDGE - something that takes a law degree and tons of experience rather than an obstacle course and a few years of on-the-job training. I bet if you show up in court with your tint pulled off and plates installed or at least a letter from the DMV saying you have paid for plates, they will drop the charges and only make you pay like $30-60 for court fees.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 2014 Evo GSR
But thats the thing. I had proof that my plates were mia and the dealership made an appointment for me to come down on the 30th to remove my tint and retint with the legal percentage for free. They could have checked my evidence and let me go. I dont want to be stuck paying court fees n a prior fix it ticket if i didnt have to. I was pulled Over 2 weeks prior for tint and i showed him my proof and previous citation. He let me go and told me to fix it b4 the due date feb 1st or else im at will to get cited again with a non correctable.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by iBoost_
What agency was it? Sheriffs usually don't care about car mods, it's CHP that you gotta watch out for.
CHP. My favorite.

Sorry reign.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:19 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by hotflare
But thats the thing. I had proof that my plates were mia and the dealership made an appointment for me to come down on the 30th to remove my tint and retint with the legal percentage for free. They could have checked my evidence and let me go. I dont want to be stuck paying court fees n a prior fix it ticket if i didnt have to. I was pulled Over 2 weeks prior for tint and i showed him my proof and previous citation. He let me go and told me to fix it b4 the due date feb 1st or else im at will to get cited again with a non correctable.
I think you got stuck in a crap situation. I'd be upset as well. The expectation is that you just pay up and aren't willing to jump through the hoops.

Quick Reply: my seemingly shady encounter with san leandro pd