My Own NIGHTMARE with Gruppe-S I Urge you to read!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 06:14 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Haha yeah, goto Works and drop money with them if you want your car SLOWER than stock. WORKS TR340 package for EVOs =222whp. Stock EVOs make around 230-240whp. LOL. Works FTL.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:22 PM

This is FAR from a nightmare...I should know..I've actualy had a nightmare with my car

I don't know what exactly happened to the brake line...but GS is standing behind their work...that means alot.

Glad your OK

Last edited by MARKSTI; 04-27-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:53 PM

Car Info: civic
Originally Posted by brandx
Hmmm... makes me wonder. My car has been making a distinctly odd noise when the turbo spools since Gruppe-S put in my uppipe/down pipe. They said the uppipe may leak since it's not a flex pipe. It seems strange to me that Perrin, Cobb and HKS would design uppipes that leak (none of them are flex pipes). But he said it should be ok. Famous last words? I'm not sure I can complain though - it seems to run ok. However, the noise is a bit unsettling - it doesn't really sound like a leak althought it definitely sounds like it's coming from the turbo. But WTF do I know - my last vehicle was a lifted Ram truck with FlowMasters.

You guys might want to check out Works over in Bayshore. Although they're primarily an Evo shop, they did some work on my car and seem pretty cool. They told me they're trying to break into the WRX/STi market. But they don't have a dyno, so their tuning capability is limited.

i thought the oem uppipes had a flex in it...for what it's worth.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:34 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I'm wondering, with how many people say they're great, but they're busy. Wouldn't you think that they wouldn't over burdern their workers so that jobs get done quickly yet complete? Like my old auto teacher said, you can grade on how good a job is done, it's either 100% or 0%. If you install something wrong, but everything else is perfect a person's life can still be lost. It seems unprofessional to schedule a time, yet not be able to accomidate that customer because of their overscheduling. It's happened to me before and like I said earlier, it almost seems like you have to know people there to get something from them.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by gruppe-s
Oh boy...

OK, first off, let me say that on behalf of everyone here, we are extrememly glad to know that you are OK regardless of what might have happened. I personally can't comment on what happened because I'm not involved in the labor side of the business. However, I will say a few things.

Firstly, we are all human here and we all make mistakes. Sometimes they're severe mistakes but hopefully these are minimized. We work constantly to correct our mistakes, and more importantly, to prevent mistakes from happening again in the future. This is not an excuse for whatever happened to your brake lines but just something for everyone to keep in mind. If we made a mistake (and it appears that we did from what you're saying), we sincerely apologize. We do our absolute best to maintain the highest quality of service for every customer that comes through our doors and that's a lot of people. I'll wait for Mike to chime in here since he would know more than I would about it (he's in SoCal for the weekend co-piloting a rally car).

Secondly, our mechanics are very good and very experienced; our shipping crew absolutely does not touch or work on any of the cars. We find that accusation insulting and hurtful. The only people who might have touched your car would be Tommy, Mert, or Mike. All of them know what they're doing but all of them are also human and make mistakes. On a side note, it's bothersome to hear that the faulty line was not discovered when you put your new rims on (since you said the inside of the old rim was all scratched up...). As far as Mike sending you a new map, he clearly was aware of the mistake that he made and corrected it.

If your brakeline incident is our fault then we will certainly take full responsibility for it; that is without question. The main thing to remember here is that we did not intentially install the brake lines wrong and that to my knowledge, this has never happened before. We've installed a lot of brakelines. People are generally very willing to bring to light the negative and less willing to point out the positive. Again, this is not an excuse, I'm simply saying that we are not hack mechanics who don't know how to install parts. We are glad that you are OK and we look foward to resolving this situation.

Thanks,

Geoff

Thank you, i hope we can work things out. I just wanted everyone to know my story, im not tryin to say gruppes hasn't made good on it yet.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
"Keep in mind I live down south and constantly take the 101 cruising at 100, I did this on wed night last week. What if they had cut the rest of the way through then I could have died."

101 is the name of the road....NOT the speed limit. Slow down....you might just live longer.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:25 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by AzN121184
i thought the oem uppipes had a flex in it...for what it's worth.
They do

I also know that LIC reccomends using Up-pipes with a flex section, as do other shops
Old 04-27-2006, 08:42 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Gruppe-S,

Can you look into hiring a real subaru mechanic (like from the dealership) to do some of the more less extreme stuff? I know several mechanics in your employment (past and present) have had complaints filed against them.

Now I'm not pointing fingers, but I don't think anyone's ever filed a complaint against say, Carlsen Subaru back in the day - would it be too expensive to have a technician who is an expert trained by Subaru Of America to JUST work on Subarus?

Thing is, most anyone can learn to work on cars and pass ASE certification but GOOD master technicians are truly few and far in between... it doesn't take much to snowball and I'd hate to see any misfortune fall on the west coast's coolest warehouse of Subaru parts

But I also realize that since Gruppe-S parts and labor are seperate, this may be kind of hard, IE I know you guys like Geoff, Preston and folks just sell parts, and Mike has to tune and take care fo the R&D division with engine building and whatnot...
Old 04-27-2006, 09:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
any company is going to have screw ups, and I wouldnt degrade the entire reputation of a company due to one event. I personally trust a company running a rally team and that was hired to work for a GrandAm racing team.

EDIT: brakes or no brakes, youre most likely going to wreck going 100 on 101. I wouldnt use that argument again if I were you

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 04-27-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: na
Originally Posted by rau
its kinda intresting to me that no one from Gruppe-S has spoken a word about it on this thread...

does that mean that they are actually guilty of installing something incorrectly and almost killing someone? or are they just being mum about it?

hmm.....
Everyone is so cal for rim. Tia.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:09 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Talking

Originally Posted by MBasile
any company is going to have screw ups, and I wouldnt degrade the entire reputation of a company due to one event. I personally trust a company running a rally team and that was hired to work for a GrandAm racing team.

I personally trust a president running America that was hired to work as the governor of Texas.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:48 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
Originally Posted by rau
its kinda intresting to me that no one from Gruppe-S has spoken a word about it on this thread...

does that mean that they are actually guilty of installing something incorrectly and almost killing someone? or are they just being mum about it?

hmm.....

look at the post right above yours its from gruppe-s

these rant posts are the reason why I do all my own work on my cars.
but gruppe -s has done a few things on my car and I never had a problem with the work they have done.
it is one of the best shops that is local to my location.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:55 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Hey man - I didn't realize it was you. Good to know you're ok - wouldn't want those new BBSs to get wrecked! JK -B
Old 04-28-2006, 10:12 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Brakes are brakes. You screw those up there is NO excuse.

I don't care if it's 1 install or 1 million installs. This isn't an exhaust leak issue.

There has to be a QA/QC check with redundant controls for something like brake work. Wouldn't ANYONE here expect that from a professional shop?

You're talking about life and death. If the brakes were indeed installed incorrectly, there is NO EXCUSE.

IF, they were installed incorrectly, then I don't accept the "we're all human" excuse. No one here should. This isn't forgetting a gasket...these are brakes and fatalities can result even with conservative driving.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:24 AM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
Originally Posted by verc
Gruppe-S,

Can you look into hiring a real subaru mechanic (like from the dealership) to do some of the more less extreme stuff? I know several mechanics in your employment (past and present) have had complaints filed against them.

Now I'm not pointing fingers, but I don't think anyone's ever filed a complaint against say, Carlsen Subaru back in the day - would it be too expensive to have a technician who is an expert trained by Subaru Of America to JUST work on Subarus?

Thing is, most anyone can learn to work on cars and pass ASE certification but GOOD master technicians are truly few and far in between... it doesn't take much to snowball and I'd hate to see any misfortune fall on the west coast's coolest warehouse of Subaru parts

But I also realize that since Gruppe-S parts and labor are seperate, this may be kind of hard, IE I know you guys like Geoff, Preston and folks just sell parts, and Mike has to tune and take care fo the R&D division with engine building and whatnot...

people can always go to Auto Headquarters in redwood city and have kevin (ex-tech at carlsen) work on your car....his friend tony who still works at carlsen helped me out alot and helps out kevin with the shop too...that is if you want a SOA expert trained tech workin on your car

Quick Reply: My Own NIGHTMARE with Gruppe-S I Urge you to read!