My bike build

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally Posted by Horse
112... is that enough?
You're probably fine. It also comes in like 98, and 88 link version depending on exactly which one you get (hollow pin or not, etc.) I think 112 should cut it though.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:49 PM

Car Info: Rollin' on compressed buffalo
Originally Posted by khizzle
Hey Horse I've got a headset, saddle, and double straps for sale, PM me if you're interested
kinda late. i basically have every single part to build a bike minus a 1 1/8 headset cap and frame. but thanks though...
Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 PM

finally! some progress. i've been a little busy with the bike overcoming trial and error. so far i have had no help from my LBS.

my homemade headset press. Sketchy. i know but it works. each cup had to be pressed in individually so that they go in straight.
Name:  001-5.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  19.8 KB

a lightweight saddle. not very comfy but cheap and gets the job done.

some blang blang... sorta. im ditching the id42's because of the amount of tolerance these rims have. there is none so tire tire/tube swapping is one hell of a hassle. i can hear the tire fibers tear when installing tires on the id42's and bulletproof tools is an absolute necessity. with the b43's i can get the job done without tools. if anyone wants the id42, PM me i'll let it go for cheap.
Name:  004-3.jpg
Size:  51.0 KB

on the the most trickiest part of the build. mating a 1" fork with a 1 1/8" stem. i had to figure out what works. i had to decide whether i should use 1'"spacers or 1 1/8" spacers with a shim. then i found out that the cane creek top cap was too small. i needed one that would fit perfectly. so i opted for a fsa carbon 1 1/8" top cap (pics of it soon). i ****ed up the crown race when installing it. i didnt realize how soft the metal was. so i ordered a new one and used the old one and placed it on top of the new one to protect it and a 10lb weight lifting plate to hammer the crown race in without damaging it.
Name:  003-3.jpg
Size:  26.0 KB

Last edited by Horse; 10-19-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:38 PM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
my bike got jacked. i need another
Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Is that the drive-it-in-with-a-hammer method? A much better home-made headset installation approach is to use a threaded bolt and tighten nuts together on each side of the head tube. If you get the cup in sideways you can loosen the head tube to the point that the frame is essentially ruined. Also, whats up with the not stem jankyness?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by akdmx
Is that the drive-it-in-with-a-hammer method? A much better home-made headset installation approach is to use a threaded bolt and tighten nuts together on each side of the head tube. If you get the cup in sideways you can loosen the head tube to the point that the frame is essentially ruined. Also, whats up with the not stem jankyness?
no its actually partially threaded and the pic doesnt show the threads. the amount of threading was barely enough on the bolt.

as for the stem, i used a 5mm 1" spacer on the bottom. i used a 1 1/8" stem because the 1" selections are horrible. i also used a 1" to 1 1/8" shim to go with the stem.

Last edited by Horse; 10-19-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 PM

just to let everyone know that the bike has been built around the new 47cm frame and running since the 14th of Oct. another big secret that i have been keeping from everyone is that it is also the first fixie i have ever ridden. i wanted my first built to be my first ride. it has been the scariest thing on 2 wheels that i have ever ridden. scarier than my 49cc pocket bike. i am still sore as hell and was a bit lazy and preoccupied with the bike to bust out the camera and usb plug and start uploading. so far i am seriously addicted to this thing. a total of 5 hours riding on the first day with small breaks for #1 and water and food. i've been on the bike everyday except for one because my *** was so sore and it was unbearable to sit. i missed the bike party on the 16th because of it. now my *** is getting better and so are my skills with the bike.

on the 17th i tried to brake skid within 5 hours of riding with no luck. i was using my left leg to pull up which proved to be difficult. it was possible but tiring. now the muscle that allows me to lift my left leg up is beyond sore and i cant really walk up my stairs without lifting my leg with both hands.

the 18th was a good day. i road for a good 4 hours. i tried brake skidding by pulling with my right foot. im right foot dominant and it made it so easy. i can pull it off on any surface. by the end of the day i was mashing down small hills (down fowler from fowler park). i also practiced backwards circles, fakies, and track stands, but those are things that will take time to get used to, and since this bike wont be for stunts it will only be used for to learn the small basic skills listed above. so no wheelies, barspins, keo spins, la la la until i get a beater bike. i also met a dude at the evergreen village who also rides. tips and demos from him gave me more confidence and more motivation to learn.

today was good. 7 practicing hours. on my first day of track standing (yesterday) i can only manage to stay balanced for a good 2 seconds. as of now im doing a good 15 seconds. as for the backward circles and fakies on my first day i couldn't go past one crank revolution without falling over. as of today i pulling off 5 revolutions and keeping my balance.

i hope it doesnt rain again tomorrow because im seriously getting on my bike to hone my skills. i never knew getting this much exercise would be this ****ing fun.

Last edited by Horse; 10-19-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:10 PM

1 1/8" fsa carbon top cap mated to a 1" stem
Name:  002-6.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  27.7 KB

took a different route. the red chain wasn't clean looking so it went on my bmx and got this instead. this chain is strong. my chain breaker had a little trouble breaking it and it broke and bent the fins to hold the chain in place. still works though.
Name:  001-6.jpg
Size:  42.9 KB
Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 PM

... and

la piece de resistance, betch
Old 10-26-2009, 10:15 PM

Car Info: 06 Impreza
^^nice
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Your bullhorns are on upside down. Nice build though.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:42 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Clean.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by dSpec
Your bullhorns are on upside down. Nice build though.
there's really no wrong way to mount them. they're just drop bars without the drops. it allows more room for my hands and arms when i sprint since my stem isn't long enough. should have went with a 110mm stem or actual drop bars or bullhorn drops. oh well
Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 PM

Car Info: me crazy when you ask "what suspension u on?"
Dope.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Very nice!

Quick Reply: My bike build