Move over, or risk getting a ticket;

Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Move over, or risk getting a ticket;

I always thought this was a good practice, but now it is the law;

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

Makes me wonder what other new surprises are lurking in the MVC this year...
Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 AM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX
For some reason, I thought it was the law already. I've always moved over a lane when a cop has someone pulled over on the freeway or street.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Car Info: 06 GMC Diesel
look at the fine In west viginia 60 days in jail and up to $500 thats sucks
Old 01-24-2010, 10:26 AM

If someone has lots of time on their hands, they can look through this and tell us what else we need to look out for;

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/secaff.htm

For crying out loud- the assembly can't get a budget through but they have time to re-write all of these vehicle code laws?
WTF?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:01 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Why does the CA bill say ''until January 1, 2010''? I read read it but a couple times it says that date but I can't see any changes that may have occured.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:18 AM

21809 was on that list in my second post, here is what it now reads:

Freeway: Stationary Vehicles Displaying Emergency or Warning Lights

21809. (a) A person driving a vehicle on a freeway approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying emergency lights, ( )1 a stationary tow truck that is displaying flashing amber warning lights, or a stationary marked Department of Transportation vehicle that is displaying flashing amber warning lights, shall approach with due caution and, before passing in a lane immediately adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle ( )1 , tow truck, or Department of Transportation vehicle, absent ( )2 other direction by a peace officer, proceed to do one of the following:

(1) Make a lane change into an available lane not immediately adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle, tow truck, or ( )3 Department of Transportation vehicle, with due regard for safety and traffic conditions, if practicable and not prohibited by law.

(2) If the maneuver described in paragraph (1) would be unsafe or impracticable, slow to a reasonable and prudent speed that is safe for existing weather, road, and vehicular or pedestrian traffic conditions.

(b) A violation of subdivision (a) is an infraction, punishable by a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50).

(c) ( )4 The requirements of subdivision (a) do not apply if the stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying emergency lights, the stationary tow truck that is displaying flashing amber warning lights, or the stationary marked Department of Transportation vehicle that is displaying flashing amber warning lights is not adjacent to the freeway or is separated from the freeway by a protective physical barrier.
Added Sec. 2, Ch. 375, Stats. 2006. Effective January 1, 2007.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 175, Stats. 2009. Effective January 1, 2010.
The 2009 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following:
1. “or”
2. “any”
3. “tow truck”
4. “This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2010, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2010, deletes or extends that date.”

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21809.htm

(the italics and bold didn't make it through the copy and paste)
Old 01-24-2010, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
It's a good initiative, but how the hell do they expect the average idiot motorist to comply when the same fools won't even pull over out of the way of an ambulance or other emergency vehicle with its lights on
Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 PM

yea I always move over, if for nothing else because the large firetrucks and ambulances don't seem to slow down. If you don't pull over your not only a jerk but also endangering yourself, thats why most people move over, self preservation. They should install train horns on those vehicles some insane ****s. Also the rumbler sirens or whatever seem to work really well IMO most places should get them.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:11 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
# 71 percent of Americans have not heard of “Move Over” laws;
# 86 percent support enacting “Move Over” laws in all 50 states;

If 71% of people don't know about it, how does 86% support it? Unless they mean 86% of the people who know, which only tells me that <25% of the general population support it.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:53 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Interesting law, sorry we move over as much as we can but put the cones out just as far and maybe it'll save some lives. =P
Old 01-24-2010, 05:26 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
I think what they were saying is that of their whole sample 71% had not heard of it, and of the whole sample 86% agreed it would be a good idea and support it

To iloqin, people do NOT adhere to this, people nearly clip us all the time because they're either not paying attention, or they don't change lanes and rubber neck which often causes them to veer toward us.

A lot of people probably shouldn't have their licenses though, a majority of people freeze up or flat out ignore emergency vehicles, I love when people lock up their brakes when they see the lights and don't yield.

Last edited by code3suby; 01-24-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Yeah, or they could just take the citation writing off the highway to the offramp or on city street. If on city street, don't hog a lane, take it off the street. Rubber necking will never be eradicated, so its SAFER to move the transaction out of 'harms way'.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Car Info: wrx02
That's not new to me. I thought that was a logical thing to do anyway.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
I already instinctively do this so nothing new
as for the general population not knowing this law, that's nothing new
Old 01-24-2010, 07:37 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
If it's on a freeway, the officer should be approaching from the passenger side anyway. If there's no shoulder, then the driver shouldn't be pulling over at that spot in the first place.

If it's on a city street, the driver should be pulling over on a side street or a parking lot. If anything, people should be educated on where to pull over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Move over, or risk getting a ticket;