Mavericks Surf Contest 2013 This Sunday 1/20

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Mavericks Surf Contest 2013 This Sunday 1/20

Who's coming out to congest my home town????

I may be hanging around or, working the afternoon shift on one of the patrol vehicles lemme know!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
I'm pissed that I have to miss it this year due to work I try to make it every year
Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
damn, i try to follow it, but last year was very hard to follow the date since its' spur of the moment

i think i saw a commercial that gopro is sponsoring it or something and many people will have cams on their boards
*edit yep, gopro sponsor http://mavericksinvitational.com/

http://mavericksfestival-eac2.eventbrite.com/
$10 general admission, $15 parking.

wonder how packed it'll be

Last edited by Rescuer; 01-18-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
So what website is going to be showing the video from it? It would be cool if it was actually shown on tv, but it just doesn't seem like they have done that yet. A few years back when I watched it I think was on UStream, but I don't recall.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Thats football day. I'll catch it on the internet.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by flukewrx
So what website is going to be showing the video from it? It would be cool if it was actually shown on tv, but it just doesn't seem like they have done that yet. A few years back when I watched it I think was on UStream, but I don't recall.
" Fans can also watch the live webcast of the contest at www.MavericksInvitational.com"

i think they are getting a lot more footage this year due to gopro.

http://mavericksinvitational.com/201...ay-january-20/
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by flukewrx
likely be a link on their site on that day

Mavericks Surf

if not theres always firstrowsports.eu
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

For public safety, local authorities from San Mateo County Sheriff, California Parks,
CHP, San Mateo County Harbor District and other participating agencies will close off all roads to Pillar Point, including access to the beach and bluffs.

In order to get the full experience of the contest, officials have organized the Mavericks Invitational Festival, an outdoor event to will be held on the grounds of the Oceano Hotel & Spa at Princeton Harbor, located on the road to Mavericks and across from Jeff Clark’s legendary Mavericks Surf Shop.

The Mavericks Invitational Festival starts at 8 a.m. just as the first heat of the contest starts. The festival will run all day with a live steam of all the contest action. Festival goers will enjoy a day of music, live commentary, food, the Sierra Nevada Beer Garden, Grind Out Hunger Skate Park, Mavericks Gallery of Photography, and an opportunity to mingle with competitors. As soon as the final heat is complete, all the action on the water will move to the Festival, where the surfers will gather for the Awards Ceremony. The event wraps up at sunset.

Tickets to the festival range from $10 for general admission, and go up to $1,000 for VIP passes. Tickets can also be purchased at the door on Sunday for $20, until the event is sold out. Fans can also watch the live webcast of the contest at Mavericks Invitational | 2012/2013.

Event parking is located at the Half Moon Bay Airport, within walking distance of the
Festival. Proceeds from the parking benefit the Boys & Girls Club of the Coastside.
Additionally, Bike Works Half Moon Bay is providing free bike valet. If you come to town for the day, parking along Highway 1 and in nearby neighborhoods will be closed. You can pay to park at the airport that day or buy your parking pass online.

i'm considering going. normally i check the schedule for it, but normally it's delayed. thinking bout it
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM

Yeah everyone will be at the Oceano Hotel parking lot for viewing but the entire capistrano area will be a festival. Only participants and people involved with the event can get passed the road block. Sucks but this is what happens in Sue Happy America.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
Originally Posted by Heedz
Yeah everyone will be at the Oceano Hotel parking lot for viewing but the entire capistrano area will be a festival. Only participants and people involved with the event can get passed the road block. Sucks but this is what happens in Sue Happy America.
Lol sadly so true stupid idiots who cant handle a rogue wave a few years back.. anyway I'm gonna try to make it out but I may get stuck working, super stoked regardless, curious to see whos gonna take home the prize $$ lots of different skilled surfers this year
Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM

If I don't get asked to work I'll be loc-ing it around.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM

Car Info: Reason
How hard will it be to get onto the bluff north of the Air Force installation and watch with binocs?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
Originally Posted by buzzword
How hard will it be to get onto the bluff north of the Air Force installation and watch with binocs?
I dont think you will be able to, that's included in what they're shutting down to the public I believe, I'm super dossapointed in the bums who ruined it for every1 a couple years ago

Last edited by RAWeiss; 01-19-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by buzzword
Impossible. I may be doing just what you said there though.

I probably wouldn't give 2 ****s about it and anyone else with the fire dept with me, but there's gonna be a lot of other organizers and PD not happy with it.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 AM
VIP Member

Average surf forecasted for Mavericks - SFGate

When the Mavericks big-wave contest was last held, in February of 2010, repercussions were felt throughout the surfing world. The biggest sets roared through with faces up to 60 feet. Even with so much glory at stake, surfers occasionally backed off taking the drop, fearing it was just too risky. By all accounts, it was easily one of the two or three most significant paddle-in contests ever held.
That's not going to be the case this time.
It's going to be a beautiful Sunday off the coast of Half Moon Bay, a fabulous day for big-wave surfing, but this will be a relatively ordinary Mavericks swell in terms of size. The latest prediction from reliable Bay Area forecaster Mark Sponsler is for open-ocean waves of "7.9 feet at 19-second intervals, translating to 30-foot faces, holding throughout the day."
This is a downgrade from Sponsler's earlier forecast of 10 feet at 19 seconds, and as he wrote on his stormsurf.com website, anticipate "long waits between sets, with 3-4 waves per set. Some sets arriving bigger than expected."
There will be few complaints from the surfers, who rarely get to surf Mavericks in the type of gorgeous weather expected for Sunday. There will definitely be moments to remember and, if Mavericks holds true to form, the sight of world-renowned surfers getting caught inside those "sneaker" sets.
It was announced Friday that the contest's webcast will be aired on SURFLINE.COM | Global Surf Reports, Surf Forecasts, Live Surf Cams and Coastal Weather and Mavericks Invitational | 2012/2013. See the Three Dot Blog on SFGate: San Francisco Bay Area - News, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds - SFGate for more details.

Read more: Average surf forecasted for Mavericks - SFGate

Quick Reply: Mavericks Surf Contest 2013 This Sunday 1/20