Make an electric cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:34 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
You can buy the parts seperately from QTP. Buy what you cant find or make for cheap and fabricate the rest.

As for placement, dont put it where it will scrape easy and then fall off on the freeway like mine did lol..
Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
A cut out is going to be loud. It will basically be like running an open downpipe.

I have heard about people seeing gains with them when they are open.

There are electric options already available on the market. The problem is that over time the motor will start to fail and the valve won't completely seal.
I know what a cutout is and sounds like, I love how loud and obnoxious it is. I know about the electric cutouts that are already made and the issues they have, thats why I want to build one, so if it fails, I know how to fix it.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by LOL VTEC
I've looked down that road before
and....? haha what strayed you away from it?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by CaliSuby
3" straight pipe or nada...
I can't have just a straight pipe, I want it to be quiet at start up (so my parents dont hassle me) and open it up when I feel like it
Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 04GG
Just for noise?
Yes. Just for noise, I don't care how fast my car is as long as I love how it sounds and drives.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Like said above there are heat issues and to let the companies do the R&D. There are a couple of Quality E-cutouts on the market. they have done the R&D and come up with heat shields for the motors/thicker motor casing. I spoke with ED about doing a cut out and was told that if i am serious to have it done before i go in for my tune so i can be tuned with it closed (closed/around town/DD map) and open (open/track/race map). I personally would like to do one as well but i have so many other things that take priority over a cut out.
dammit.. I didnt think about that.. Would I have a problem if I tuned my car with the cutout closed and ran it open most of the time or would I run into "knock" problems? Would I have less issues with it if I were to tune it with the cutout open or closed?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, will I have a higher likelihood of knock(blowing my engine) if my car was tuned open cutout and smashed around with the cutout closed or if I were tuned with it closed and smashed around with the cutout open?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by kimchijeegeah
hmm I've thought about this road a couple of time but never thought of "making" one. What you could do... is take those small electric motors, encase it in some silicone from tap plastics(making sure the wiring is in place) and to open and close the flang you can use a worm gear. should seal it pretty well. I would cover it in heavy grease so that it won't rust up so easily. You could prob make the whole thing from a heavy gauge sheet metal. but you can work out the whole set up later on.

Thanks for the idea. I think im going to try this out. (ill let you know how this goes.) lol
Thanks youuuu, thats the kind of answer I'm lookin for!!! Let me know how it goes
Old 03-28-2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
I'm running a electric cutout, if you go to FineLine Imports website they have pictures of mine and few others they have done. I run a stock muffler with APS 3.5" exhaust, they cut both ends and flange the pipes to fit eachother and v-band them together! It's amazing the difference when open and closed.
Are you happy with it? How much did it cost?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
You can buy the parts seperately from QTP. Buy what you cant find or make for cheap and fabricate the rest.

As for placement, dont put it where it will scrape easy and then fall off on the freeway like mine did lol..
I didn't know you can buy the parts separately.. Thats definitely worth looking into..

I remember you telling me about how yours fell off lol I will make sure that doesnt happen
Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by rallied out wrx
you will have power gains form the cutout. mine is tuned with it closed. if you get it tuned with it open you will see more power gains

got it at Blacktrax in milpitas
niceeeee, thank you. What cutout did you get? I checked their website and cant even find one...
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Could try one of these
VaraFlow Tunable Muffler
Old 03-28-2012, 06:10 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by esousa22
dammit.. I didnt think about that.. Would I have a problem if I tuned my car with the cutout closed and ran it open most of the time or would I run into "knock" problems? Would I have less issues with it if I were to tune it with the cutout open or closed?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, will I have a higher likelihood of knock(blowing my engine) if my car was tuned open cutout and smashed around with the cutout closed or if I were tuned with it closed and smashed around with the cutout open?
When I had mine with the same mods you have, I had no knock. It acted like a 3 inch downpipe for me. Could I have gotten more power from it if I went and got it tuned from a pro? sure but it wasnt worth spending the extra money to me.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend
Could try one of these
VaraFlow Tunable Muffler
not looking to buy a complete one at all.. its not worth 380 to me haha
Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
When I had mine with the same mods you have, I had no knock. It acted like a 3 inch downpipe for me. Could I have gotten more power from it if I went and got it tuned from a pro? sure but it wasnt worth spending the extra money to me.
So you had no knock when you were tuned without the cutout then put the cutout and had no knock? Did you make any tweaks to the tune after you put the cutout?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM

Car Info: 05 white WRX
I would just worry about over boosting. Check your gauge. You can always contact a tuner.

Quick Reply: Make an electric cutout?