Majors/Degrees

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Majors/Degrees

I have run in to a bit of a dilema. I recently transfered from a JC to a Sate school to begin my upper devision classes, but I am still having a hard time deciding what major/degre I wish to go with. I am currently enrolled as an Industrial Psych major (think H.R.) wich requires roughly 77 more units for me to recieve my degree. The problem is that in looking through my paper work, I realized that I have less than 50 more units required to recieve a dgree in Sociology, another feild that interests me.

My question is this: what is a sociology degree actually worth? Do any of you have this degree, and how was the job market for you with this degree. I have had many people tell me that it doesn't matter what your degree was in, it just matters that you have one. I really just don't want to get a degree in something because it was easier, then find out I can't get a job in anything. I like the subject matter of both majors equally so I am having a really tough time deciding. I don't want to persue the other major which needs an additional 6 months of school if it doesn't help me get a job any easier than the sociology degree, Man I'm stressed.

-Chris
Old 08-31-2004, 09:49 PM
VIP Member

I know 2 people that recently graduated w/ sociology majors -- both found jobs in sales/account management about 3 months after graduating.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
teaching... why not just get both
Old 08-31-2004, 09:51 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by doodoobrown
I know 2 people that recently graduated w/ sociology majors -- both found jobs in sales/account management about 3 months after graduating.
doodoo, you give new hope. That is exactly the feild I am looking into. Do you happen to know where they graduated from. How well do you know them? Do you think they would mind me emailing them with some questions? C'mon, hook a fellow i-clubber up!

-Chris
Old 08-31-2004, 09:52 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by nic3krnnamja83
teaching... why not just get both
because I'm burnt out with school, and quite honestly wouldn't be able to handle that many more units.

-Chris
Old 08-31-2004, 10:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
doodoo, you give new hope. That is exactly the feild I am looking into. Do you happen to know where they graduated from. How well do you know them? Do you think they would mind me emailing them with some questions? C'mon, hook a fellow i-clubber up!

-Chris
don't know them too well (don't know their emails)... friends of my in-laws, so I don't talk to them that often. As far as I know, both graduated from UC santa barbara. One works in LA for AAA doing sales. The other works in the bay area doing account management for an ad agency. The one in LA got the job soon after graduating without much effort. The other actually took more than 3 months but she was looking on and off while taking care of family stuff.

Send me a PM and I'll see if I can get your questions answered next time I see them (may be a while)
Old 08-31-2004, 11:43 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
My question is this: what is a sociology degree actually worth?
it is worth the fact that it shows you completed college and have the ability to learn. thats it.

other than that its worthless

my sister got her degree in sociology. she now works as a real estate agent. sure she makes good money now, but it is something that doesn't necessarily require a degree
Old 08-31-2004, 11:48 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wrx ish
it is worth the fact that it shows you completed college and have the ability to learn. thats it.

other than that its worthless

my sister got her degree in sociology. she now works as a real estate agent. sure she makes good money now, but it is something that doesn't necessarily require a degree

Yeah I think I'm gonna tough it out for the Industrial Psych major. Call me materialistic, but seeing as the average income in the state of california with an Industrail Psych major is nearly $92k with a median of over $80k, I think it will be worth it. I was trying to cop out, and take the easy route. This next year is going to suck. I have to complete 77 units in five quarters. That's roughly 16 units a quater while working 40 plus hours a week. yippy...

-Chris
Old 09-01-2004, 01:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
i plan to get a degree in history, with a goal of teaching at the university level. Maybe not in the US, though, too many teachers here...
Old 09-01-2004, 02:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
My older brother has a degree in enviromental planning(how tall neon signs can be without affecting the mating habits of the endangered indigenous toads) and he's the national sales director for a fairly large gift company. So he always tells me it doesn't matter what your degree is in as long as you have one.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Dont know how it is where you are but at UCD you have to complete 180 units regardless of your major, so lazy history majors whose major is like 55 units still need at least 180 units. They just need to fill in the rest of the units with useless crap, or another easy major like English. (j/k about history and english majors) So regardless what you choose you will end up taking about the same amount of units.

Last edited by Slack; 09-01-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:40 PM
VIP Member

harrrrrrr
Old 09-01-2004, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Originally Posted by dorifto88
harrrrrrr
I don't understand....
Old 09-01-2004, 05:09 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by dorifto88
harrrrrrr
Origami posted by Slack
I don't understand....
That's dorifto88-speak for 'aaaaaargh'.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 09-01-2004, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

hell yes thanks for the assist.

and slack, what the hell are you gonna do with a mana. econ major anyways? lol

Quick Reply: Majors/Degrees