Lame gas prices - Think about it

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Woo Hoo, boom boom bernanke is going so save t3h economy!!

Wall Street sure loves the sense of security!!

Name:  HelicopterBen-smiles.gif
Views: 5
Size:  348.0 KB
Name:  55802_CaptCrunch.jpg
Size:  107.7 KB
Name:  0626h6.jpg
Size:  35.5 KB

[/mandatory economy chopper ben post]
Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx
Originally Posted by RussB
that unocal rep is a retard... the price you pay now has nothing to do with when the gas was produced, and everything to do with how much is available and how much demand there is for it.

that's like saying the price of milk is going up but those cows are 5 years old.
I'm sorry, you're not making any sense. You fail. If you believe gas prices have any thing to do with supply and demand look at the year end earnings from gas companies. they're richer than some countries. There is plenty available. People like you are the reason the prices are so high.

"Here sheep. BeLIEve this."
Old 03-12-2008, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by resident smurf
prius ftw!!
That is incorrect.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by psoper
the price of oil and gas has nothing at all to do with supply or demand and everything to do with manipulated markets and greedy corporate warlords.
Snipped the sassy stuff, but I completely agree with this comment. From what I can tell, there is all the crude anyone can handle - it's the refined stuff that is hard to get and the Gov't isn't making it any easier.

If only people could figure out how to unite and make a difference...
Old 03-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by all_being
A 76 fuel rep told a class I was in this a few years ago and I think about every time I hear people cry about the prices.

"The gas in the ground has already been made, delivered and paid for. Prices at the pump should not reflect current price of crude oil. The oil being pumped form the ground today won't be in your car until many months from now. Close to a year."

We're guilty of being brainless sheep. We're being lead to the gas station for slaughter. And theres not much to be done, except some sort of revolution. But us Americans are weak, brainless sheep.

I know I'm paying too much when I fill up. But what can just one person do?

Any takers?

supply and demand people!

If supply truly isn't an issue as your classmate suggests, then it's completely demand!

If millions of people keep going and paying a higher and higher price, then obviously the demand is there, so the price will KEEP GOING UP. One people stop pumping, i mean, drastically stop pumping, only then will prices go down.

Until then, not much is going to change. We simple rely way too much on gasoline, heating oil and diesel, and it's THAT very demand that causes the price to go up.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by psoper
If you seriously believe that than I'd say you are a retard- the price of oil and gas has nothing at all to do with supply or demand and everything to do with manipulated markets and greedy corporate warlords.

The only way to make any difference is to drive less, otherwise expect more record profits from the corporations at the expense of every working- and most especially- every commuting American.

And don't think that because they have rigged inflation figures to not count anything you actually need to buy- that this isn't going to compound our recession into a depression because the cost of everything is going to have to double to keep up with materials and transportation costs.

Its going to get worse before it gets better.

And if you think today's dead cat bounce in the stock market signals a return to a brighter future, I've some great land to see you in Nevada....
lol

It's SIMPLE ECONOMICS. If you have a large amount of people WILLING to pay a certain price, lets say $4/gal, and they do (trust me we do and WILL) then that means it's obvious that the demand is there to warrant that price for gasoline.

that IS supply and demand, or at least, in this case it's completely demand. We demand gas, so we get it and we will pay for it. Don't like the price of gas, don't pump it. When millions of americans stop or slow their pumping of gas to a point where economically it hurts oil/gas folks, the prices will go down.

Sorry Pete, but it's demand that drives up the price of gas.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:28 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
lol
Sorry Pete, but it's demand that drives up the price of gas.
If there were anything approaching a free and open market you'd be right- but at the same time, competition would moderate prices and we wouldn't be subjected to these seasonal swings- it is all monopolized and cartel run, prices are fixed and there is no such thing as competition.

Profits are what's driving the price up, supply's are purposely curtailed to create the illusion of supply demand issues, but economic theory is complete bunk in a market that is so badly manipulated.

Think about it this way- If true costs were actually rising in as reflected in the so-called wholesale markets, why are profits always through the roof at times like this?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:15 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester X
Simple man here simple ideas to boot (haha).
Who can put together a website in a over a period of a week and have people sign on (much like a petition; no major info need just a name)? On the website we all plan to not pump gas on certain days. Once we have a high number of people on here we have them select 1 or 2 days out of the week and have a "no pump" agreement done.

avg $3.5 a gallon for 91 at 15 gallons (I know it's near 4 some places and I know we can hold more than 15 but this is just an idea).

In my head:
3.5 x 15 = $52.5
$52.5 x 50(people) = $2625
$52.5 x 1000 = $52,500 (I would guess there are at least 1000 willing to do this between i-club, iwsti, nasioc, clubwrx and any other forums we join to; IE myspace, facebook, flickr etc etc)
$52,500 x 2 (days a week) = $105,000
$105,000 x 2 (twice a month) = $210,000
210,000 times how ever many months we want to do this all equals major loses for companies. I know it's been tried before but with a community like ours and the relationships we have we can make this happen. What is really going to matter is that we don't fill up the day before or after as to avoid be strandered but we use other means of transportation, car pool that day with someone who has gas, bikes, bus, walk, call in sick (don't recommend). Anything to back each other up.

Help me add to this; if we spend this much time talking lets do something. Imagine the impact it would cause if every car community started this across the states. Only because some dude out in BF no where only pays $2 a gallon doesn't mean he likes it compared to what he paid before.

Last edited by wingless06; 03-12-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: gramm(e)r haha
Old 03-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by wingless06
$105,000 x 2 (twice a month) = $210,000
210,000 times how ever many months we want to do this all equals major loses for companies.
Unfortunately, $210,000 is just under 3 minutes of profit for Exxon alone, who made $1,300 per second of profit in 2007.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
psoper's right on the $$$...pun intended.

There's simply too much $$$ to be made for petro products not to be manipulated.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Car Info: '05 crystalgrey sti
Originally Posted by Subaru_dude
just filled up like 1 week ago for $3.85 at 76 and that's the reason i take light rail to work everyday now
Amen to that! I just started doing this and also picked up a long board to skate between station to office/home. I feel less stressed both at work and home now. Not to mention the peace of mind I get from not having to fill up the tank as much and not having to daily drive my subie.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:20 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by wrxtunerd
2.0 WRX vs. 2.5 STi = quiet a difference
not according to SOA...

2004 wrx wagon specs 20 and 27. I usually see 21mpg.
2007 sti specs 19 and 25.

Average those out and you have 22mpg on the sti and 23.5 on the wagon.

15 gallons in the sti 330. 15 in the wagon 352.5

Since we don't empty it we'll call it 13.5 gallons at fill up...

13.5 in the sti is 297. in the wagon...317

So.... where's this big difference you speak of???
Old 03-12-2008, 03:38 PM

Car Info: '08 cadillac cts
Alright here we go, this information is from an oil refining west coast manager for Conoco Phillips. My refinery just had its annual conference for projections and other various things.

Major factors to the price of gasoline:
American dollar
Price of crude
Transportation (Alaska, Oman, Orito, etc.)
Refining (Depends on weather for various gas blends)
Taxes (At various terminals)
Transportation (Gas Stations)
Gas station
Inventory of gas on the west coast (Based on how many people are driving)

Thats all I can think of. He said on average our company makes .10 a gallon. Anyway the moral of the post is to buy 76 gasoline please and thank you haha
Old 03-12-2008, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester X
Originally Posted by MoDrift
Unfortunately, $210,000 is just under 3 minutes of profit for Exxon alone, who made $1,300 per second of profit in 2007.
Even still the point in our actions still reflex what we all want. You are talking about 1,300 per second imagine a day with out that for them. I was running on gallons and cost out of our pockets, what you are telling me is that a day with out gas to them is worth 78,000 an hour or 1872000 a day. Tell me that isn't an impact.
My point is not to break their bank but to support our selves in ways outside of having to drive to create a reason for them to lower prices. I'm all for riding my bike, I have a bad knee and it is a work out; thats 3 benefits. Good health, stronger knee, more money, more toys, health, money and toys are nice!

oh! and by the way, This week was the first week I saw over 250 miles off a full tank of gas in a long long time. I'm running a TBE and AP and I'm not heavy on the gas at all. Ask LIC how much of a P@22y I am haha.

Last edited by wingless06; 03-12-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: miles a tank
Old 03-12-2008, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Tell your west coast manager to bring 93 or 100 octane over to CA !!

I will pay $5.00 per gallon.

Quick Reply: Lame gas prices - Think about it