Kids/Newborns and suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:48 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Kids/Newborns and suspension setup

My coilover setup right now wouldn't work with how rigid and uncomfortable the ride is. Trying to get ideas of what I should plan on switching to.

So what kind of suspension setup do you use and how comfy is it?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:47 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
If your coilover setup is too uncomfortable, consider going with a Swift / Koni Yellow setup.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Originally Posted by JelloChex
If your coilover setup is too uncomfortable, consider going with a Swift / Koni Yellow setup.
+1. I've ridden in Jello's car, it's a magic carpet.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by JelloChex
This, plus no more than half a turn from soft and just be chill. I had two kids, last time I saw them they were ages 2 and 4, and they loved riding in the WRX. Other than that, bone stock cars work great too.

Rear facing can be tight depending on your height. Here's a vid w/ 2 adults up front and 1x rear facing plus 1x front facing seat in back, 2002 sedan on Koni/Swift.

NOTE: That the rules have changed and kids must be rear facing until age 2 coming soon. I am not sure when this is happening, heard it on NPR this week.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:53 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
think of a jiggly suspension as "rocking your kids to sleep"

although as a parent of a newborn, i also worried that it would turn it to Jello, LOL

yeah, if you're already on coilovers, just adjust it to soft (where you aren't bottoming out and hopefully not making yourself seasick on the expressway) and call it a day. Otherwise, some shaking (gentle mind you) will get the young ones sleeping quick.

If indeed switching to springs/struts, i had the Swift spec-R springs on stock STi struts, and that took my (gonna be 6-year old) son through his newborn years.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:45 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
There's no substitution for softer rate springs. Low damping on high spring rate doesn't make the ride more comfortable, IMHO.

The Swift springs are a GREAT choice. Pair with either Koni or D-specs. Sporty ride, mild lowering, and very baby friendly.

Or... King OE height springs. Pair with D-specs. No lowering (great for clearance), lots of bump travel, great for all terrain.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
I've got King non-lowering springs and KYB GR2s (now Excel-G?) on the '00 sedan and the ride is pretty damn good. It might be a bit too soft for you considering you're coming from coilovers but AGXs would probably take care of that. When my kids were younger and I had the FXT I had Swift springs and OEM struts and that was a great combo for infants.

-Brian
Old 09-24-2015, 10:29 AM

Thanks everyone. This gives me plenty of viable options. I'm leaning Koni/Swift right now.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:02 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
What coilover setup are you running now?
You can probably measure the springs and buy replacements that are lighter
Old 09-25-2015, 02:26 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I wouldnt bother looking at anything else. 100% the best set up.

Im running kyb with.sti pinks and its good but yellow on swifts is better.

Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Thanks everyone. This gives me plenty of viable options. I'm leaning Koni/Swift right now.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend
What coilover setup are you running now?
You can probably measure the springs and buy replacements that are lighter
I think I have megan's on there. Last time I adjusted them was about 2-3 years ago when I got my new wheels so I might be totally off.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:42 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
You prob won't have to worry too much unless it's absolutely bone jarring. I have jdm pink springs, feal revalved struts and group n mounts on my 04 STi and my son (from infant to now 2 1/2) has been fine. I consider it pretty stiff but if anything the bumpiness and exhaust rumble would lull him sleep. Well, it used to. He won't sleep in either of our vehicles for nearly the past year now (honda, truck or subie). I think he's curious of where we're going and what's out the window.

Last edited by subie OCD; 09-26-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:24 PM

Car Info: 2016 STI
My 3 year old loves my STI, always prefers to go in "the race car" compared to my wife's boat of an SUV.

Springs and shocks have always seemed way more comfortable to me than most of the coilovers out there. Something like a street-valved Koni or a Bilstein with a good spring from H&R, Eibach, RCE, or Swift is a good choice. The compression and rebound on your garden variety c/o's just isn't great on streets with varied surfaces, no matter which way you spin the adjuster ****.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:39 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
If they are Megan's which are that old, they are probably blown anyways
Koni/Swift is probably the way to go. I don't think Racecomp makes "black" springs for that application
I have a set of 2004 Sti stockersif you wanna come get them. Not sure on fitment for Forester
Old 10-01-2015, 01:16 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
If you are on an 04 FXT the Koni/ Swifts made for a WRX would probably be too low, and mess up your geom.

When I had my FXT I had oem WRX wagon set-up with an STI rear bar. Perfect for DD, handling was decent. I was all set to add koni inserts. I ended up selling the FXT. New owner put the koni's in. I also had planned on putting STI springs, that I have sitting in the garage, but wanted to see what the Koni's would have been like with the WRX wagon springs first.

Good luck man!

Quick Reply: Kids/Newborns and suspension setup