Old 10-16-2008, 12:50 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
thanks for helping him guys
Old 10-16-2008, 12:51 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by vodka
Tanpopo is where I usually go for ramen in SF.
1740 Buchanan Street
(between Post St & Sutter St)
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415) 346-7132

Haven't tried Suzu noodle house yet though, but plan on it.
ive seen a movie called tanpopo
Old 10-16-2008, 02:43 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by jinorazi
simply put, fried pork

Katsu/Katsu-don is usually the chicken version.

Tonkatsu/ Tonkatsu-don is the pork version.

-don is the over-rice par sometimes with egg. Such as Oyakudon or Oyakudonburi (non breaded chicken version over rice)

Just got back from Japan on Monday, learned that I actually needed to differentiate the two by calling the pork one tonkatsu.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by apetron
Katsu/Katsu-don is usually the chicken version.

Tonkatsu/ Tonkatsu-don is the pork version.

-don is the over-rice par sometimes with egg. Such as Oyakudon or Oyakudonburi (non breaded chicken version over rice)

Just got back from Japan on Monday, learned that I actually needed to differentiate the two by calling the pork one tonkatsu.
Uh, dude, katsudon is almost always tonkatsu donburi.
Ya gotta say chikinkatsu if you want chicken. It's just folks in Hawai'i that assume chicken when ya just say katsu
Oh, and it's oyakO
Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Uh, dude, katsudon is almost always tonkatsu donburi.
Ya gotta say chikinkatsu if you want chicken. It's just folks in Hawai'i that assume chicken when ya just say katsu
Oh, and it's oyakO
thanks for clarifying
Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by apetron
where'd you go?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:42 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
japantown in SF,

i just had dinner, and now im wanting some noodle soup
Old 10-16-2008, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 04 STi & an autox Lemming
Originally Posted by kyoung05
Is this place better than Ryowa in Mt. View? That place is my favorite.
Ryowa is ok, but Santa is one of the best. They are that busy for a reason. Remember to go early, i.e. before 11am for lunch or 5:30 for dinner to avoid long wait.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
If you're in the city, Arang has pretty good Tonkatsu.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rau
thanks for clarifying
Oh yeah, and to clarify further, "katsu" is short for "katsuretsu" which is a transliteration of the English word "cutlet".

So technically, if you ask for "katsu", you're asking for a "cutlet" and as such would technically have to specify what kinda food you want sliced and deep fat fried

There are HOWEVER exceptions to this rule since Japanese people are really lazy when it comes to talking and love using contractions; "katsudon" is an example wherein "tonkatsu donburi" is so commonly foreshoretened, it's entered the daily Japanese lexicon as an expression specifying "a pork cutlet with eggs, onions, and sauce over a bowl of rice". Another "katsu" example is "katsu karee", which is a pork cutlet with curry on it. If you want something other than pork, ya gotta specify what kinda cutlet you want then: for example, "chikinkatsu karee" is for "chicken cutlet curry". It also gets more complex when you consider that there are different cuts of pork than can be used to make a "tonkatsu" as well, resulting in items like "hirekatsu", "roosukatsu", etc.

If any of you don't believe, you can do your homework here
http://www.ginzabairin.com/menu/index.html
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 PM
VIP Member

Hey, while we're talking Peninsula Japanese food (besides katsudon haha!), Ramen Club in Burlingame is some of the best ramen in the Bay. No need to bother with Santa unless you're a little closer to them!

Also, Kisaku's not bad, but I felt they've slipped compared to how good they used to be Had a Japanese lady friend that used to live a few blocks away from there; she'd eat there since it was the best within walking range from her house; when I took her to Yuzu, she decided to bus it there from then on afterwards
Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Oh yeah, and to clarify further, "katsu" is short for "katsuretsu" which is a transliteration of the English word "cutlet".

So technically, if you ask for "katsu", you're asking for a "cutlet" and as such would technically have to specify what kinda food you want sliced and deep fat fried

There are HOWEVER exceptions to this rule since Japanese people are really lazy when it comes to talking and love using contractions; "katsudon" is an example wherein "tonkatsu donburi" is so commonly foreshoretened, it's entered the daily Japanese lexicon as an expression specifying "a pork cutlet with eggs, onions, and sauce over a bowl of rice". Another "katsu" example is "katsu karee", which is a pork cutlet with curry on it. If you want something other than pork, ya gotta specify what kinda cutlet you want then: for example, "chikinkatsu karee" is for "chicken cutlet curry". It also gets more complex when you consider that there are different cuts of pork than can be used to make a "tonkatsu" as well, resulting in items like "hirekatsu", "roosukatsu", etc.

If any of you don't believe, you can do your homework here
http://www.ginzabairin.com/menu/index.html
dropping bombs of knowledge Ryan! I need to pay you to help me finish learning japanese
Old 10-17-2008, 12:26 PM

Hey, while we're talking Peninsula Japanese food (besides katsudon haha!), Ramen Club in Burlingame is some of the best ramen in the Bay. No need to bother with Santa unless you're a little closer to them!

Also, Kisaku's not bad, but I felt they've slipped compared to how good they used to be Had a Japanese lady friend that used to live a few blocks away from there; she'd eat there since it was the best within walking range from her house; when I took her to Yuzu, she decided to bus it there from then on afterwards
Ramen Club, huh? That little place by the laundro-mat? I've always been curious about that place, but the name (being so Americanized, if you will) always threw me off. I guess I kind of feel the same way about Sushi Sam.
________
Iolite vaporiser photos

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:52 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by Krinkov
where'd you go?

All over Tokyo this year. Last year we visited Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka.

Found a car dealer not far from our hotel that had an F50, MC12, Pagani Zonda, CCX, Carrera GT, McLaren F1, McLaren F1 GTR Le Mans race car, 911 Turbo, and the brand new Ferrari all on the show room floor. It was pretty crazy to see those cars all in one room.

Choku - They had these crazy cutlets that were made from super thinly sliced pork stacked on top of each other, then covered with the panko crumbs and fried. It comes out looking similar to a normal piece of tonkatsu, but when you cut into it and eat it, very different. They were really yummy.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:20 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kyoung05
Ramen Club, huh? That little place by the laundro-mat? I've always been curious about that place, but the name (being so Americanized, if you will) always threw me off. I guess I kind of feel the same way about Sushi Sam.
Ya know, Ramen Club and Sushi Sam are both great examples of tasty and authentic Japanese cuisine dressed up like Americanized crappy dining

1.) Loud, crowded, madhouse dining ambience
2.) Chinese waiters up the yin yang
3.) Chinese patrons up the yin yang
4.) Latino kitchen crew

BUT...

1.) Genuinely good and authentic food! Ramen Club's broth is rich and flavorful, the noodles have good koshi (al dente-ness, I guess you could say? haha) and the chashuu is the half-fatty part to make it moist and dense! Sushi Sam's nigiri is pretty good in that the neta (fish) is thick and the shari (rice) is loose, resulting in a good 1-bit mouthful that has texture and character -- I only wish the neta were longer so that it could cover the entire shari, including front and back -- that's true Edomae style and results in a luxurious mouthfeel!
2.) Japanese owner and chef(s)

So if you go to either restaurant, it's good food but crappy dining experience most of the time. Ironic

Quick Reply: Katsu Don