Karlton flares for wagons!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:25 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by glenspen
When you see them side by side with alternatives, the Karlton flares fit way better and look like they fit the original lines really well. Just a really nice fit
I like how they come down on the front bumper.

Honestly can't find a better example than Apes's car. I freaking love this car.

LIC's dry carbons are nice too. I think more expensive than these.

When you are looking at these this is what you are looking at in reality...

1. Purchase of the flares
2. Having them prep'd and painted
3. Cutting your fender so this is NOT a reversible mod.
4. Cutting your fender liner or spending a solid day or two modifying them.

It's not just a quick one night bolt on project. You're looking at a few weeks to a month just to get them on depending on how fast your body shop is and you have to have a reasonable amount of mechanical skill or you might as well pay to have them installed.

That's part of why they come off as expensive to me. Not because the product itself is not worth it. Product itself is top quality from what I've seen.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:36 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I like how they come down on the front bumper.

Honestly can't find a better example than Apes's car. I freaking love this car.

LIC's dry carbons are nice too. I think more expensive than these.

When you are looking at these this is what you are looking at in reality...

1. Purchase of the flares
2. Having them prep'd and painted
3. Cutting your fender so this is NOT a reversible mod.
4. Cutting your fender liner or spending a solid day or two modifying them.

It's not just a quick one night bolt on project. You're looking at a few weeks to a month just to get them on depending on how fast your body shop is and you have to have a reasonable amount of mechanical skill or you might as well pay to have them installed.

That's part of why they come off as expensive to me. Not because the product itself is not worth it. Product itself is top quality from what I've seen.
+1! Ape's car is what really makes me want oto run flares on my bugeye. shes still not turbo, but im sure its quite obvious at this point to those that have seen my scoob know i went for style and handling over power at the start.

but ya, im thinking of picking up a set of 07 flares, and making my own bits and pieces (i.e front bumper portion to fit my V2 cleanly) and ya, its going to take a while to really get in that dialed look. a lot of mock up fitment and cutting. but like Ray said, alongside the STI rear roof vane install, this is irreversible and really must want tot do it!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM
General Pimpin'

Honestly... he's made zero mistakes on that car. It's one of my all time favorite sedans... period. Only thing I'd do is open up the headlights and put something in the shade of the JDM darker gray chrome color in there. Just darker. And tint that isht... cause night rider.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:03 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Agreed. The headlights stand out on an otherwise flawless car; just a little darker would help. Other than that, the car is one of the nicest I've seen in person too and the flares are one just of the reasons. Then there's that engine bay...
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
Just an FYI, that green SF5 does NOT have Karlton flares. They're generic Jeep flares, if I'm not mistaken. I read this thread on SubaruForester.org.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
That's an old shot of my car.

Newest shot courtesy of Prettymike:

Last edited by apetron; 09-24-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
inside and out this car rocks! literally! you carbon *****.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Nice Ride Apetron!

Im interested in doing something for my wagon. Right now the front sedan conversion is done on my wagon and rear is just pulled but never been happy with the rear. Ive been debating the sedan rear fender conversion for a while now. Honestly I like the karlton flares better, the only thing is if I went with flares I would need to convert my front end back to wagon fenders. Not a big fan of having the flares on top of the sedan fronts while the back is just flares. Oh the dilemma...

How much labor time are we talking roughly to put flares all around?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM
General Pimpin'

I knew something changed on your car to make me like it more last time I saw it... and voted for it. LOL!

I like the new wheels better too. way. way better. You should dump those tein's and get roman's hood struts... cuz black.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:40 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
Just an FYI, that green SF5 does NOT have Karlton flares. They're generic Jeep flares, if I'm not mistaken. I read this thread on SubaruForester.org.
Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
Yeah, it was pretty clear they were generics and not made specific for the Fozz.

Originally Posted by apetron
That's an old shot of my car.

Newest shot courtesy of Prettymike:

LOL. I also thought the last time you were out at the meet that the lights weren't chrome, but then he posted that pic.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by ddavis
Nice Ride Apetron!

Im interested in doing something for my wagon. Right now the front sedan conversion is done on my wagon and rear is just pulled but never been happy with the rear. Ive been debating the sedan rear fender conversion for a while now. Honestly I like the karlton flares better, the only thing is if I went with flares I would need to convert my front end back to wagon fenders. Not a big fan of having the flares on top of the sedan fronts while the back is just flares. Oh the dilemma...

It took Karlton and I about 8 hours to do the install on my car. That's all the cutting, drilling, alignment, etc.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Nice Ride Apetron!

You should get in on this! It will look way better than just the sedan front swap.

Originally Posted by apetron
It took Karlton and I about 8 hours to do the install on my car. That's all the cutting, drilling, alignment, etc.
Well worth the time and effort. Your car is awesome!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Nice Ride Apetron!

Talked to my lady about the same issue with her wagon, sedan front end makes the flares a bit more complicated.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
That is why I never did it either, just doesn't look complete without the rear done.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:04 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by k-dogg39
That is why I never did it either, just doesn't look complete without the rear done.
Agreed. I've nearly pulled the trigger on it like 4 times and then I go... man I just can't do it without the rears.

One of these days I will get some STI splitters though.

Quick Reply: Karlton flares for wagons!